PDA

View Full Version : Colt SAA still being produced?

Electric88
08-11-2016, 06:49 AM
Perhaps this question is in ignorance, and if so please pardon it in advance!

Anyways, is Colt still producing the SAA? Every dealer I talk to around me pretty much laughs at me when I inquire, and believe that I am left to find one on gunbroker at primo prices.
I was hoping they were still being produced, as I don't just want a collectible (though it will also be that).

Thanks!

Certaindeaf
08-11-2016, 07:39 AM
Yes, they still make them.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Revolvers

Electric88
08-11-2016, 07:57 AM
I wonder why I keep getting laughed off by dealers. Guess I'll have to look a little further out.

OS OK
08-11-2016, 08:15 AM
Not sure but in 08 my dealer laughed too, said "we might find you a good used one around, estate sales or the like. If you want new, your going to have to wait a while, they haven't shipped me a SAA in some time."
I put my order in, waited 3+ months and Jerry called, sait it came in, I got to see it for an hour then he sent it somewhere back East for Ivory and that took 2 months...when he got it back he had it another 30 days while his Colt man went through it top to bottom...and, after all that I got my SAA. It was worth the wait, it's a gem.

Electric88
08-11-2016, 08:40 AM
Nice! That's what I'm hoping to do OS OK, and I don't mind waiting at all. Be more time to convince the wife on the purchase! But I need to find a dealer that will at least tell me it'll be awhile haha

Electric88
08-11-2016, 08:42 AM
Did you buy it as a shooter I hope? Or a safe queen?

OS OK
08-11-2016, 09:35 AM
Bought it for a shooter, 'iffin it don't shoot it don't go in the safe'... Years back, I bought Winchesters 'Legendary Lawman'...when I told my oldest son, "sure you can shoot it first"...the shop owner turned a bit green...said, "You aren't really going to shoot that rifle are you?" I smiled and said "of course, that's what they're made for!"

One of my dearest friends, enamored with the Colt SAA, Sam Houston said..."Alright Charles, let's go to my safe, I'll start counting off a stack of $100 bills, when you say 'stop', she's mine OK?" I just smiled and said I'd will it to you but, you're going to have to deal with my sons first though it's my daughter you're going to have to deal with in the end. Sam gave me a warm smile and said "I'm gonna get it!"

B. Lumpkin
08-11-2016, 11:11 AM
Close to 2 years from the Custom shop for a plain Jane.

Electric88
08-11-2016, 11:16 AM
*Sigh* If only I could find a dealer willing to order one lol

OS OK
08-11-2016, 11:53 AM
All the clones will get the job done for a lot less. It's just this...when we have a SAA day at our private range (we few handloaders in this area share info and techniques, love to compete and razz each other too) but when all the SAA's are out on the table and we're commenting on their qualities, it's the Colt that gets most admiration, not on looks so much as it does because the smith made it feel like it was made with ball bearings and the trigger being so crisp and clean...it's mostly about the mechanical feel.
However long the wait, I'd wait, and don't get into a rush...let your smith trick it out.

Electric88
08-11-2016, 11:55 AM
Thinking I might just look for one of the 1971 NRA centennial commemorative models. They sell for a hair cheaper, and are allegedly good shooters.

OS OK
08-11-2016, 12:11 PM
I sure hope you are able to score...those SAA's, regardless of make are a kick in the pants!

Electric88
08-11-2016, 12:19 PM
Thanks. I guess I should list the S&W 500 as a means to finance this haha

OS OK
08-11-2016, 12:33 PM
If they'd make an accessory to make that cannon a carbine to hunt hogs or maybe even bigfoot...I might hang onto one. My shooting buds will break out the .454 or .500 when we have a newbie around but outside of that not so much.

B. Lumpkin
08-11-2016, 12:37 PM
All the clones will get the job done for a lot less. It's just this...when we have a SAA day at our private range (we few handloaders in this area share info and techniques, love to compete and razz each other too) but when all the SAA's are out on the table and we're commenting on their qualities, it's the Colt that gets most admiration, not on looks so much as it does because the smith made it feel like it was made with ball bearings and the trigger being so crisp and clean...it's mostly about the mechanical feel.
However long the wait, I'd wait, and don't get into a rush...let your smith trick it out.

Same here. People are always willing to say that their foreign gun does the same thing, but cheaper; I can guarantee they would rather have the real deal. That's why I just Pony up the cash for the real deal and wait my turn in line. I've ordered 5 SAA from Colt in the last 10 years and all have been worth it. I have a pair of sequential numbers I keep for myself and the others were gifts to family for major achievements.

OP-Bite the bullet, order your Colt, and sit back and wait...or go get one off of gunbroker. I'd save up a little more and order one with ivory grips.

Electric88
08-11-2016, 12:57 PM
If they'd make an accessory to make that cannon a carbine to hunt hogs or maybe even bigfoot...I might hang onto one. My shooting buds will break out the .454 or .500 when we have a newbie around but outside of that not so much.

Yep.. Got one of both. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. lol

And Lumpkin, I think I will. Just need to call a few more dealers to get someone to say yes, in addition to laughing at me haha

yenningComity
08-11-2016, 12:57 PM
Same here. People are always willing to say that their foreign gun does the same thing, but cheaper; I can guarantee they would rather have the real deal. That's why I just Pony up the cash for the real deal and wait my turn in line. I've ordered 5 SAA from Colt in the last 10 years and all have been worth it. I have a pair of sequential numbers I keep for myself and the others were gifts to family for major achievements.

OP-Bite the bullet, order your Colt, and sit back and wait...or go get one off of gunbroker. I'd save up a little more and order one with ivory grips.

Does colt actually build the saa or do they just contract it out? I know the new colt pockets are being contracted out and used to their black powder stuff was as well. Kind of hard to be the *real deal* when the only deal was who got to slap the colt name on it.

Earlwb
08-11-2016, 01:43 PM
I wonder why I keep getting laughed off by dealers. Guess I'll have to look a little further out.

Colt filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection on June 15, 2015. They are still trying to figure out what to do as the the dust hasn't settled yet. Except for some government contracts they aren't really making much of anything and they don't really know what they have for parts yet either.

GOPHER SLAYER
08-11-2016, 01:49 PM
My brother has four new Colt SAs, still in the box and one made in the 1920s. The pre war SA is a 44-40 Frontier Six Shooter and is the only model so marked. I bought it for him in the mid '60s for 90 bucks. I also bought a 32-20 from the same man for $90. I still have it but I converted it to 44 SPL about thirty years ago.Two years ago my brother wanted to sell his but he never did and they all went back in the safe. I don't know what he will do with them, he just turned 89. I only have one but have owned others. In the 1960s the price of the Colt SAs were very low. You could buy a new one for $125. Cowboy action shooting drove the price way up. If my memory serves, the commemorative done up in royal blue was only $150. Who knows what Colt SAs will be in the future. I regret the ones I sold and I also regret the fact that I didn't keep at least one of the Lugers that passed thru my hands.

B. Lumpkin
08-11-2016, 03:02 PM
Does colt actually build the saa or do they just contract it out? I know the new colt pockets are being contracted out and used to their black powder stuff was as well. Kind of hard to be the *real deal* when the only deal was who got to slap the colt name on it.

They are built in the custom shop.

B. Lumpkin
08-11-2016, 03:05 PM
Colt filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection on June 15, 2015. They are still trying to figure out what to do as the the dust hasn't settled yet. Except for some government contracts they aren't really making much of anything and they don't really know what they have for parts yet either.

Colt has released many new, and successful, models in the last year.

Electric88
08-11-2016, 03:06 PM
I'm eyeballing a commemorative for about $1200... Seems like a fairly decent price for it. Will hopefully be able to post back a positive report!

B. Lumpkin
08-11-2016, 03:29 PM
I believe you will be pleased. I'd send it off to Doug Turnbull for CCH and Carbonia bluing

9.3X62AL
08-11-2016, 04:13 PM
I am VERY enamored of all things Colt. Among my eclectic collection is a SAA variant, a 4-3/4" Bisley in 32/20 WCF, vintage 1906. It shoots quite well, and since it was my great-grandfather's primary sidearm as a rancher and farmer, it is among my most treasured possessions.

This does NOT make me a member of The Colt Cult, though. The prospect of having to wait two years after paying $1400+ for a 5-shot handgun--then having so send it off to a custom gunsmith to have its construction and refinement completed--sounds like buying Rugers to me. The difference is the wait on a Ruger is days to a couple weeks, and the price is about 1/3. Ditto on Ubertis. I am 61 years old and have some medical conditions that may end my days before that Colt could arrive. This is why I opted for the Uberti SAA for $430 OTD in 2013, which arrived in about a week at the local toy store. I shot it within a couple days, and continue to do so when my condition allows same. Had I opted for the Colt--which I can afford--I might still be waiting, and in that time I have approached finality more than once. Some folks may not have 2 years+ to wait. Further--I have waited on Colt Firearms to get their sorry act together for half my lifetime--they are no closer to that goal now than they were when I was 30 years old (1985). At least in my 30s, I thought I was immortal. Au contraire, mon amis--time waits for no man.

Certaindeaf
08-11-2016, 05:22 PM
I think you can get a "brand new" anything instantly.. you just gotta pay for it.

Electric88
08-11-2016, 05:38 PM
Lumpkin, wouldn't he just be redoing what the factory did?

knifemaker
08-11-2016, 05:39 PM
I checked Davidson's Gallery of Guns for you. Everyone of their Colt single action army is allocated to dealers. You may have a long wait to get one. Best option is to find the biggest dealer in your area as they normally can get hard to find guns faster then a small dealer can. The factory reps give them priority due to them buying more volume.

bedbugbilly
08-11-2016, 06:09 PM
My understanding is . . .and this is just in talking to some dealers as well as seeing some posts on other threads . . . is yes they do but the wait time is extremely long. If you are looking for a particular caliber and barrel length . . . you might just have to start putting feelers out there and keep a watch on GB. One of the dealers near me that I've purchased from a number of times, had one on their used list a number of months ago . . and it went fast.

Another place to take a gander is over on the Colt Forum.

I have always wanted a "real" Colt SAA but put it off for one reason or another. At my age now, I really can't justify it and not having kids, I wouldn't have anyone to "pass it on to". I did whet my appetite though with a 7 1/2" Uberti 45 Colt Cattleman and love it. Not a "real" Colt . . but close enough and the target doesn't know the difference. :-)

Good luck with your search!

B. Lumpkin
08-11-2016, 06:40 PM
Lumpkin, wouldn't he just be redoing what the factory did?

You got me there. I was thinking of another commemorative that was all blued with no CCH.

Electric88
08-11-2016, 06:55 PM
Ah. I will certainly check him out. As of right now, I found a 1971 NRA Commemorative centennial model, 7 1/2" barrel, cold case hardened finish, and chambered in 45 colt. Looks to be never fired, should be right under $1200 after shipping and transfer. Hopefully that was a good deal! I know I've read that the nra models dont appreciate in value like the standard models do, but I intend to shoot it anyways.

Silver Jack Hammer
08-11-2016, 08:13 PM
They are built in the custom shop.
The Custom Shop only does engraving. The Model P as the Single Action Army is called in house is assembled at a different location in the factory, not in the Custom Shop. The Model P is entirely built in the factory, every part including the grips. The frames and are forged and all the parts are made and assembled at the factory. The color case hardening is done in the factory.

birch
08-12-2016, 06:42 PM
I don't regret paying big money on my late third split serial Colt SAA in 45 colt. It is a work of art. I have close to 5,000 rounds down the pipe and the lockup is still as tight as the day I bought it. It is smoother, but not much more than out of that beautiful blue and gold box. I have shot almost all of the clones, and nothing feels like the real deal.

Silver Jack Hammer
08-12-2016, 08:47 PM
B. Lumpkin, it has often been said they are built in the Custom Shop. It's not true. The Custom Shop does not build them.

Silver Jack Hammer
08-12-2016, 08:48 PM
I recall the last message

smkummer
08-14-2016, 08:04 AM
Electric88, that NRA centennial your looking at typically is about the lowest priced second generation Colt. Since it's a second generation, Colt won't work on it. Several others will so that's not a issue. If you change the barrel and stocks, you can make it look like any other second generation Colt, of course the serial number will be the dead give away of what it originally was. I have several Colt SAA in 4 barrel lengths including 2 buntlines. If I had to choose only one, the 7 1/2 barrel length is such a pleasure to shoot with light and full power loads. Good luck

Electric88
08-14-2016, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the heads up smkummer!

I wanted something that was a shooter, so I figured this one would be the way to go. I think I might leave this one as is, as its not a gaudy commemorative. Maybe I might send it out for a rebarrel one day, but I'll be content for the moment. I guess I'll figure out what I want to have done to it, if anything, once it is in hand :)

B. Lumpkin
08-14-2016, 08:45 AM
B. Lumpkin, it has often been said they are built in the Custom Shop. It's not true. The Custom Shop does not build them.

The ones I ordered had to be ordered through the Custom Shop. If they are factory line guns, then maybe they should boost production.

9.3X62AL
08-14-2016, 05:04 PM
The ones I ordered had to be ordered through the Custom Shop. If they are factory line guns, then maybe they should boost production.

That would be a step in the right direction, for certain. Marketing strategies that are premised by the thought that "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" are a non-starter for many people, and the sitch with 22 LR ammo is a classic example of same. "Shortage marketing" that started with the oil companies circa 1974 is a virus infecting many businesses, and its net effects are mostly to aggravate and alienate a customer base.

B. Lumpkin
08-14-2016, 05:32 PM
Colt has made great headway in the 1911 market over the last year, so maybe they'll listen to us hollerin' for them to boost output of SAA revolvers. They don't even have to lower the price like they did with their 1911 lines, just make more of them.

9.3X62AL
08-14-2016, 06:15 PM
Yessir--I would love one of their Commander mid-level variants. I just today learned that my CCW regs got expanded markedly, and it is now kosher for carry.

B. Lumpkin
08-15-2016, 09:14 AM
Over the last 6 months I have seen several 1991 variants under $700 NIB with a warranty. Colt had significant price drops on their 1911 line to be more competitive and try to win back some of the market share they lost. Only downside is sellers of used Colts, and those who had pre-price drop guns in inventory, took a large value hit.

Silver Jack Hammer
08-15-2016, 10:27 PM
The NRA Centenials are the only Colt's SAA made with cast receivers, all others are forged. I'd avoid them, I had one and could never get it to shoot right.

I bought a new Colt's SAA for $575.00 and my co-workers chided me for such a waste of money when a duty gun was $250.00. This was back in the early 1980's. I still own that Colt's and I've purchased about a dozen since. That first Colt's has been worth it's money many times over. I couldn't begin to guess how many pounds of powder I've put down the barrel. Each Colt's single action I've purchased since has only been an example of why I work for money.

Electric88
08-16-2016, 06:36 AM
The NRA Centenials are the only Colt's SAA made with cast receivers, all others are forged. I'd avoid them, I had one and could never get it to shoot right.

I bought a new Colt's SAA for $575.00 and my co-workers chided me for such a waste of money when a duty gun was $250.00. This was back in the early 1980's. I still own that Colt's and I've purchased about a dozen since. That first Colt's has been worth it's money many times over. I couldn't begin to guess how many pounds of powder I've put down the barrel. Each Colt's single action I've purchased since has only been an example of why I work for money.

Hmm. Good to know. Perhaps I'll pick up a Vaquero to shoot while watching for a SAA.

B. Lumpkin
08-16-2016, 06:47 AM
Hmm. Good to know. Perhaps I'll pick up a Vaquero to shoot while watching for a SAA.

Hold off on the Vaquero purchase, keep the money in the bank, and you'll get to your SAA sooner. Haunting Gunbroker, Guns America, and forums has kept a good buddy of mine in decently priced Colt SAA revolvers.

Electric88
08-16-2016, 07:03 AM
Yeah. I might do that. I like the idea of getting a Vaquero because I'm a Ruger junkie and love the inherent strength of their designs. However, a Colt SAA is a work of art.

I guess I have quite a bit of thinking to do lol

Silver Jack Hammer
08-16-2016, 08:56 AM
Hold off on the Vaquero purchase, keep the money in the bank, and you'll get to your SAA sooner. Haunting Gunbroker, Guns America, and forums has kept a good buddy of mine in decently priced Colt SAA revolvers.
This is absolutely dead center right on advice. I own Rugers, I own Italian, but nothing is like a Colt's and if it's a Colt's you want then nothing else will satisfy you. Save your money and buy the one you want. There was a Colt's 5 1/2" .45 for $1,400.00 on one of the on line gun sales websites like gunsamerica within the past week. Save your money and keep shopping until you can score the deal.

Brandi
08-17-2016, 01:03 AM
I LOVE my Ruger's, we have twin 5.5" stainless New Vaquero Bisley .45 Colts, a large frame "old" 4.62" blued Vaquero .45 Colt, a 5.5" blued Blackhawk Convertible .45 Colt/.45acp and a 4.62" stainless Single Six Convertible .22LR/.22WMR. They shoot great, have excellent quality, are very strong, safe to carry 6 and just fine firearms but....my unicorn six gun, that I will hopefully have before I kick off, is a Colt 4.75" blued/color cased hardened Single Action Army in .45 Colt with stag grips. I can picture it in my head right now. That Colt is all I need. That Colt and a C. Sharps 1874 carbine with a french grey receiver in .45-70 is all I need. That Colt, a C. Sharps 1874 carbine with a french grey receiver in .45-70 and this stapler is all I need....

Several years ago I also wondered if Colt was still making the SAA and had to check it out. The biggest problem is that they make so few of them that very few stores have one in stock and if they do they want WAY over MSRP for them. Why? Because there are so few on the shelves for the people that want them and a lot of folks think they can't get one any other way so they pay the silly prices.

Colt needs to increase production and get the guns out and "in stock" at stores so the people that want one can buy them at normal prices. They aren't rare, Colt is still making them, there's no excuse for the kind of over pricing that a lot of gun stores have been screwing customers with all these years.

If I had the money I'd definitely go and have my LGS order me one. If they laugh at you, ask them why it's so funny that you're buying all your guns from someone else now.

Electric88
08-17-2016, 09:14 AM
I might have done that, but it's a response I get from all "LGS" within a 100 mile radius.

And when I called Colt about possibly ordering one from the custom shop, they told me to go through a LGS. A giant circle where I wait regardless. I'll keep poking my nose onto gunbroker and others. I'm still tempted to go with the Centennial to have a shooter, and one day pick up a factory SAA to go with it.

And I had read somewhere that Colt had moved to the Casting after the Centennials, that it wasn't just with that model. However, it's the internet so I need to be careful how much I believe!