PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 425 high power

andym79
08-11-2016, 03:38 AM
Hi what can you guys tell me about these. all I can find is they were made from 1910-17 (not confirmed) and they made only 26000 (also not confirmed).

What are they worth, I am looking at this one

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=82907

Does anyone know where you can get parts for them? I assume its going to be a whole lot harder than getting parts for a winnie 94 or marlin 336!

Bent Ramrod
08-11-2016, 12:21 PM
They are not nearly that common. West says maybe 10,000 made. Stevens was bought out by New England Westinghouse and drafted into war production in 1915, which ended the production of the High-Power lever gun.

A friend had one in .35 Remington; it shot pretty well. We didn't shoot it much, however. Not for any problems, he just had tons of other stuff to shoot. I read somewhere that the internal parts were sometimes indifferently hardened, and would wear quicker than a Winchester or Marlin. They were made to a price ($20 in 1911).

Most of the few I've seen are in the $400-$500 price range. If it's worth it to you, it's worth it. I didn't want to pay that much myself, when I was looking for one in .25 Remington. I wouldn't expect to find parts anywhere, but I've never looked.

One of the guys here had a thread on the 425. He was going to buy one. You might do a search, and contact him about it.

frkelly74
08-11-2016, 01:03 PM
I have one marked 30-30 Rem. It was my grandfathers rifle that he had from his younger days. I was advised to go easy on it because it will be very difficult to fix if it breaks. It is the 30 Remington cartridge, I have never seen the designation 30-30 Rem anywhere else.