PDA

View Full Version : Psalm 102

WRideout
08-10-2016, 08:57 PM
I was doing rounds on the hospice ward at the VA hospital, as part of my clinical hours required for the Clinical Pastoral Education unit I was enrolled in. CPE, as it is called, is basically training for chaplains and the VA hospital seemed a perfect place to practice. The hospice ward is usually a quiet place, and on this occasion, my footsteps on the floor sounded almost noisy. I knocked on the door of one room, and was granted entrance.

Inside there were three people, one an elderly man sitting propped up in bed with his eyes closed. I understood them to be the ailing veteran, his wife, and their daughter. I had made many hospital visits before for church members, so I thought I knew exactly what to do. I leaned over, and introduced myself to the veteran, although he gave no response. His breathing seemed labored, and he had a two day growth of beard. His eyelids hung heavily on his lined face. I continued, assuming that even if he didn’t hear me, his family would. The Psalms always work in these situations, although I didn’t want to sound trite or like I was following a formula. I thumbed through my Bible to Psalm 102 and started reading in his ear.

This wasn’t a Psalm I had memorized, but it started out okay, and I was sure it would work. Then a few lines in, I got to the part about days vanishing, and bones burning like glowing embers. Suddenly I was panicked. Psalms are supposed to be nice, and uplifting, aren’t they? Here I was reading a lament to a man who was dying, and it did not sound uplifting to me. It occurred to me that if I just act like I know what I am doing, no one will know any different. So I plowed on through the psalm reading with as much rhythm and enunciation as I could muster. I talked to family for a moment, and then left the room, hoping I hadn’t done too much damage. A few days later they sent a note to the head Chaplain, expressing appreciation for my visit.

I puzzled over that episode for a few years. I couldn’t quite understand how that particular Psalm had been the right one for them. Then one day out of the blue, it hit me. I thought, if I were lying in a hospital bed, dying, I would not want happy stuff. No one would be able to convince me that this was all going to work out really well. I would want someone else know that my suffering was real, and I was having a hard time with it. I would want someone to care that I hurt. I would want to be able to tell that to God.

I need not have worried. The God that I worship is not a distant, detached being. He humbled himself to come to earth in human form, and live through every human experience. Our God knows suffering, and he is with us in our moment of sorrow. Jesus Christ is Emmanuel, God with us, to the end.

Wayne

USMC87
08-10-2016, 09:19 PM
Excellent story Wayne, I really enjoyed reading it and hearing your thoughts.

WRideout
08-10-2016, 09:39 PM
Thanks, USMC. I had this one rolling around in my head for a while, and had to get it out.
Wayne

Blackwater
08-10-2016, 10:40 PM
Isn't it wonderful, even if strange sometimes, how God can use us in spite of ourselves, and cause us to say things the right way when we don't know quite what to say, really? And all it requires is real trust in Him, and simply giving ourselves to Him, so that he CAN use us? The more I see and hear of how God really works, the more humbled and awed I am at Him. Thanks for a great story, and yet another illustration of how we CAN be used if only we allow it, and put ourselves in the position where God CAN use us.

claude
08-10-2016, 10:45 PM
Jesus Christ is Emmanuel, God with us, to the end.

It seems many have trouble with that,.....
(Revelation 22:12-13) "And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. {13} I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last."

claude
08-10-2016, 10:52 PM
Isn't it wonderful, even if strange sometimes, how God can use us in spite of ourselves, and cause us to say things the right way when we don't know quite what to say, really? And all it requires is real trust in Him, and simply giving ourselves to Him, so that he CAN use us? The more I see and hear of how God really works, the more humbled and awed I am at Him. Thanks for a great story, and yet another illustration of how we CAN be used if only we allow it, and put ourselves in the position where God CAN use us.

This comment brings to mind;

(Luke 12:11-12) "And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say: {12} For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say."

(Mark 13:11) "But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost."

If we are busy trying to figure out what we will say, there's a great chance we will be standing in The Spirits way.

Blackwater
08-11-2016, 07:03 AM
What poignant and timely quotes. Thanks, Claude. It's really true. And all we have to do is just give God the chance to work within and through us. He's the part that fulfills all promises. It's amazing, isn't it, how great He really is?

Boaz
08-11-2016, 07:12 AM
Thank you Wayne . I understand and agree . You explained this well .

buckwheatpaul
08-11-2016, 07:15 AM
Outstanding testimony and I agree....if you are facing death you need to know that God is there to guide you and accept you into his loving arms.....Paul

square butte
08-11-2016, 07:37 AM
I have always been amazed at God's ability to use whatever comes out of our mouths for his purpose - even though it may seem to us to be wrong in the moment

Pine Baron
08-11-2016, 08:32 AM
Thanks Wayne, This is so on my mind, all the time. I find myself doubting even to posting here sometimes. I am working on it.

w5pv
08-11-2016, 08:34 AM
Amen to all

WRideout
08-11-2016, 06:03 PM
Thanks Wayne, This is so on my mind, all the time. I find myself doubting even to posting here sometimes. I am working on it.
Baron, even though you may not say much, you have been a steady presence here, and I am always glad to know you are around. You know, wherever two or three are gathered.....

Boaz
08-11-2016, 07:08 PM
Baron, even though you may not say much, you have been a steady presence here, and I am always glad to know you are around. You know, wherever two or three are gathered.....

I agree with WRideout , Pine Baron is more solid than he believes . He never fails to encourage . He has stood up here many times.

Blackwater
08-12-2016, 08:59 AM
Absolutely agree! And in the overall scheme of things, EVERYBODY here matters! Each and every one! Is it not amazing what we can do when we lay our differences aside, and just do what we were so wisely instructed to? We each may be one little candle, but combine us together and we can light up the night like daylight! And all just because we do what we've been instructed to! Is our God an awesome and loving God, who wants us to be happy AND effective, or what?

Pine Baron
08-12-2016, 10:31 AM
Thanks all. I know, together we all make it happen. All Glory to God.
BW, What differences? [smilie=s:

Blackwater
08-12-2016, 12:41 PM
:bigsmyl2: Good question, isn't it?

rl69
08-12-2016, 08:09 PM
Beautiful
thank you Wayne

Blackwater
08-13-2016, 12:09 PM
One other thing that I think comes into play when we're really not sure what to say is our simple attitude. Today, people seem to react as much or more towards our attitudes as to what specifically we actually say. And one constant in the situations when we're not really sure what to say, is our essential humility. And when we're humble enough, God seems to give us what we need to do whatever's needed. This is yet another reason why I've long regarded humility as being the essential and most prominent trait of a real and mature Christian.

Our world around us bid us be "confident," but in humility, there's really no absence of confidence whatsoever - only uncertainty of what God's going to do with us. REAL "confidence" isn't something we "manufacture" within ourselves, as so many "moderns" tend to seem to believe in. REAL confidence is something that comes from the certain knowledge that God has us in the palm of His mighty hand, and can and likely WILL provide us with whatever we need, including the right words at the right times. And all we have to do.... ta da! ..... is just TRUST him! That we find it so hard to simply Trust Him sometimes is much more a comment on us than it is in Him! But He always keeps his promises. Always!