PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Single Six on the way

FergusonTO35
08-10-2016, 01:44 PM
My first handgun was a Ruger Single Six convertible with 4-5/8" barrel, bought it brand new in 1999. It served me well but after I started reloading I moved on to centerfires and it fell by the wayside. The other day I can across a Single Six like that one but with a 6-1/2" barrel in a pawn shop. It was in good used condition with a fair amount of finish wear but mechanically sound and with a shiny bore and still had both cylinders. They were asking $300.00 but agreed to $280.00 on layaway.

I'm looking forward to getting it out. I never could get used to the 4-5/8" barrel on my old one, it always looked sawed off to me with the full length ejector housing and tall front sight. I'm looking forward to trying the new Hornady Critical Defense ammo, unlike most .22 magnums it is designed for handgun use. Also looking forward to seeing how well Winchester Power Point. .22 LR does, my Henry H001T loves it.

robg
08-10-2016, 04:22 PM
Had a stainless one great fun gun loud with 22mag though

sparky45
08-20-2016, 01:26 PM
TO35; I've still got my original 3 screw (never tampered with by Ruger) with 4 5/8's barrel that is almost in pristine condition. I bought it new while home on leave from the Navy in 1967, even have the box with it, both cylinders with the velvety cover for the extra cylinder. Love the gun, but I hardly ever get her out anymore and that's a shame. I hope you enjoy your new pistol.
S45

starmac
08-20-2016, 10:31 PM
I have one with the 9 1/2 in barrel, nice pistol, but I don't get it out a lot. I have just never shot a handgun enough to get good enough to feel comfortable hunting with one. I really should practice more, if I was good enough for grouse and rabbits, I would use it more.

contender1
08-21-2016, 10:16 AM
I happen to have several of the Ruger Single-Sixes. Mostly Old Models,, but a few NM's as well. Fine, dependable field guns. You'll enjoy yours.

swheeler
08-21-2016, 11:10 AM
I have a NM single-six 5.5 inch blued, love it.

Hardcast416taylor
08-21-2016, 12:12 PM
I got a 6 1/2" barrel convertable back in 1969. Still using it even though I put a monogrip Hogue grip in place of the little wood `plow handle` grips, still have them though. It had a smooth trigger pull and let off before I made the mistake of having Ruger `modernise` it. When I got it back it had a trigger pull that was not only lawyer proof but felt like dragging a cement block across a dirt road with your trigger finger. I`ve replaced all the `new parts` with the old parts and managed to smooth down the pull a lot. Still like to shoot it, but I still get mad at myself for falling for that Ruger `FREE` offer to make it safer.Robert