PDA

View Full Version : I need a digital Micrometer

crabo
05-27-2008, 10:26 PM
For the first time, I had trouble reading my dial calipers. Must have been because my birthday was yesterday. Any recommendations on what to buy? I don't want to spend more than I need to, but want to spend only what it takes to get a good set.

Thanks,

Crabo

docone31
05-27-2008, 10:53 PM
I use a digital caliper. I have to switch between milimeters and inches.
My reccomendation, get the best you can afford. I also reccomend getting one with a seperate off switch. I have one with a dual purpose switch. I find it on all by itself a lot of times.
I am a lefty, but I learned to cope.
I like them.

calsite
05-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Ditto with docone31, depends on what your willing to spend and what you're using it for. Machinist/gunsmith grade you're probably looking at over one hundred dollars, I picked up one on MidwayUSA a frankford arsenal brand for around 30.00 for general measuring, boolit OAL, ect.

MeestaSparkle
05-27-2008, 11:48 PM
I would recommend mitutoyo. I have a set and they are really nice, but pricey if you buy new. If you are patient, I would keep my eye on ebay i bet something will come up. I rounded out my tool set for work with stuff from ebay. Most in pretty much new condition and all for 25% of new value or less. A lot of people get these and don't know what they are or what they're worth and just want to get rid of them. Just make sure you buy from someone with a solid feedback history.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=32&from=R40&satitle=mitutoyo+digital&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=43201&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=32%26fsoo%3D2&fgtp=

HeavyMetal
05-28-2008, 12:34 AM
Check Harbor Freight! The BIL bought a nice digital caliper for $20.00 about 3 yrs ago.

Wouldn't want to do "Brain Surgery" with them but for what we do they were all right!

carpetman
05-28-2008, 01:16 AM
Crabo--Happy Birthday---You didnt say which one,but I'm guessing 40 or not too awful far past. What should you buy? Well reading glasses will suffice for now,but you wont wear them and will always be looking for them. You can go into bifocals,but I think you'll like the no line progressives better. Your optometrist can advise you better---but will charge more.

IcerUSA
05-28-2008, 01:31 AM
Get a pair of dollor store readers, they come in all kinds of strengths and are handy if you leave a pair on the work bench .

Keith

crabo
05-28-2008, 07:48 AM
Guys, I am way past reading glasses. I've been into bifocals for a long time. I'm 56. I guess I should have tried my headband magifyer, just didn't want to accept it, I guess.

Crabo

Wayne Smith
05-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Midway has the Frankford mike on sale now. No information on how sensitive it is. Is it worthwhile or should one wait for a good deal on a better one?

Down South
05-28-2008, 10:15 AM
I use a Starrett dial type and a Starrett digital calipers. Both are good put a little pricy. For dead nuts accuracy I use my micrometers which are also Starrett.

alamogunr
05-28-2008, 11:06 AM
2nd the recommendation for ebay. Some real good stuff is relatively cheap. Having said that, both my Mitutoyo dial calipers and B&S micrometer came from where I worked prior to retirement. Seems some people couldn't read the dial calipers (not because of poor vision) or use the vernier on the micrometer. They just replaced them and I got these. I guess I'm lucky. I'm almost 66 and don't have any problem despite bifocals. Wish I could say the same about the front sight on my handguns.
John
W.TN

Ricochet
05-28-2008, 11:55 PM
Midway has one on sale this week for $17.

runfiverun
05-29-2008, 02:09 AM
when did they start putting front sights on hand guns?
definately get one with a off switch i have had a digital pair for three years and have
used them twice cause the batteries are always dead.

joeb33050
05-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Do you mean vernier calipers? I'm 70, trifocals, and can read a dial caliper easy-there's no appreciable ease to a digital caliper.
joe b.

Bad Water Bill
05-30-2008, 04:35 AM
Bought a Starrett in the late 50s Still works great if I do my part. Guess I got my $ out of that tool.