PDA

View Full Version : .44 Sp/Mag: as the socket wrench turns....

Walter Laich
08-10-2016, 12:23 PM
Being a likable guy with only 20-30,000 major enemies I try to help out as best I can when it comes to shooting.

New neighbors moved in and as the two families are meeting he notices I'm reloading. Perfect time to push cowboy action shooting as it turns out he has a .44 Marlin rifle + a Ruger .357 revolver. Almost there as far as guns go.

we find out that the ,44 Mag dies can be used for both Mag and Sp and only needs a few turns to work with both. reason: along will all the .44 mag brass he has he has found some .44 special. Not wanting to 'waste' these it's worth it to adjust the dies as needed.

Good news is there is just a small batch of .44 Sp brass and this will slowly be reduced as you never get all your rifle brass back in cowboy shooting.

gwpercle
08-10-2016, 12:42 PM
Looks like "somebody" might need a 44 special to go with them new dies and mould....
If ever a perfect excuse....here it is !

Wayne Smith
08-10-2016, 12:56 PM
Looks like "somebody" might need a 44 special to go with them new dies and mould....
If ever a perfect excuse....here it is !

Far be it from me to encourage ... (where is that purple font?)

therealhitman
08-10-2016, 01:09 PM
It's inevitable. Don't tell the wife til it's too late. Then have a good excuse ready.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?69162-S-amp-W-model-624

DougGuy
08-10-2016, 01:14 PM
I will tell you the recent production medium framed .44 Special Ruger Flattops are some of the BEST EVER single action revolvers Ruger has made. I can't see anyone disliking these.

dverna
08-10-2016, 01:30 PM
You need to make more enemies. Consider the liability if something happens. Getting paid for your work is a slippery slope. You cannot even barter your services.

My advice.....if he wants to shoot, make him part of the process. Teach him to cast and load. Supervise him so he gets off on the right foot and to protect your equipment. Have a witness there (not related) when you tell him you are not responsible for any consequences if he makes an error.

Remember the old saying about giving a man fish vs teaching him to fish. Nowadays you have government regulations and your new buddy may sue you if something goes wrong.

One of my neighbors is lawsuit happy. He had to move here from Tennesee because it was reported that he had sued a few people and at least one was going to kill him. This guy does not work. Has a new Corvette, Camaro, a truck, toys and a new pole barn. He has two attack dogs as well. Only one neighbor associates with him. The rest of us have nothing to do with him. There are bad hombres out there.

gwpercle
08-10-2016, 01:38 PM
I will tell you the recent production medium framed .44 Special Ruger Flattops are some of the BEST EVER single action revolvers Ruger has made. I can't see anyone disliking these.

With that 4 5/8 inch barrel..... Oh Yea , that would be so sweet !

OS OK
08-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Walt, I wasn't going to chime in and say a word about selling those rounds to recover the investment...but, there's the but again...since dverna has broached the subject, I suppose you wouldn't think me as 'raining' on your parade. I get the enthusiasm but, you are on the slippery slope...the only way you can do this is if this guy brings his own components and becomes your newbie learner. Money cannot change hands.

Rattlesnake Charlie
08-10-2016, 01:56 PM
If you set the dies for .44 spl, you can just insert a flat washer of the proper thickness under each when you load .44 mag. Won't need to adjust the lock ring that way. Somebody used to sell the washers, but I can't remember who. Same thing works for .38 spl and .357 mag.

telebasher
08-10-2016, 03:50 PM
If you set the dies for .44 spl, you can just insert a flat washer of the proper thickness under each when you load .44 mag. Won't need to adjust the lock ring that way. Somebody used to sell the washers, but I can't remember who. Same thing works for .38 spl and .357 mag.
Mine came from Sinclair IIRC.

Tom W.
08-10-2016, 07:17 PM
My RCBS dies do the same.... but as I seldom load for .44 spl. I keep the washer in a "safe" place.....:Bright idea:

W.R.Buchanan
08-10-2016, 07:35 PM
I would just make a spacer .100 thick to put under the Spec Dies. In fact I need to do this soon as I am loading both with the same dies and am already sick fo changing the dies.

The Sizing/ Decapping die works for both at the same setting. The expander, seater and crimper would need the spacers.

As long as you are using the same boolits in both you are good to go.

Randy

Walkingwolf
08-10-2016, 07:57 PM
Only 10 dollars and makes it simple. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/189290/redding-die-spacer-kit

winelover
08-11-2016, 07:13 AM
RCBS dies, for 357 and 44 Magnum come with the spacer/washer...or they use to. Just adjust them for the respective Special version and use the spacer for the longer/ magnum case. Only have to readjust if you change bullets. BTW, the sizing die is the only die, in the three die set that doesn't require the spacer.

Winelover

mdi
08-11-2016, 11:28 AM
Hmmm. Saw no mention of selling, trading, or donating any ammo until dverna's post.

gwpercle
08-11-2016, 01:14 PM
Mine came frome the local Ace Hardware store....just kept measuring untill I got some the correct thickness....

Echo
08-12-2016, 02:25 PM
Washer should be about 1/8" thick, maybe a touch less - my dad made mine on the Logan.

edler7
08-12-2016, 02:42 PM
The washer in my RCBS 44 mag/spl set measures .127".

Paul D. Heppner
08-13-2016, 09:11 AM
I made my own set for 38 spl, 357 mag, 357 max, and another at .063 for seating/no crimp (I always crimp in a separate step.)