PDA

View Full Version : Finally, A Really Nice Score Came My Way!

Alan in Vermont
08-09-2016, 09:58 PM
I drive, part time, for a company that has a hook lift truck and 15 cy open top containers. Today a took a load of scrap metal to a local salvage yard. I scaled in and one of their employees directed me to where I was to dump the load.

On the open tops the tailgate swings horizontally and hooks back to the side of the truck for dumping. So,, I swung the gate around and noticed a bunch of propane tanks on the ground a few feet away. I started walk over to see if any of them were punched, as I need a couple for smelting pots. Nope, none punched but one sort of stood out in the crowd. Hmmmm, wonder if I can buy that one?

Dumped, closed the gate and saw one of the owners approaching. I asked him if I might be able to buy something from him. Showed it to him, he wasn't aware of what it was, so I told him. He hefted, proclaimed, "That's not very heavy, take it"

At first I didn't think I had a way to carry it on the truck, then I remembered the underbody tool box on the curb side. My new-to-me propane plumbers pot fit in there nicely. Enough propane in the tank to slosh and it let out a nice hiss when I cracked the valve. The tank looks like it should past inspection so there's over $200 in value just in the tank, I have no idea what the burner might be worth but I would consider this a really nice score.

Now when I smelt range scrap I can have two pots going and should, very nearly, cut my time in half. Slow link now will be cooling ingot molds fast enough to keep up.

birddog
08-09-2016, 10:27 PM
nice being in the right place at the right time!!!!!
Charlie

Spruce
08-09-2016, 10:46 PM
Good score. Was it the kind that screws on to the propane cylinder?

Alan in Vermont
08-10-2016, 08:43 AM
I fired it up this morning, seems to make flame & heat. Now I will do some wire brushing & painting.

tdoor4570
08-10-2016, 08:55 AM
I fired it up this morning, seems to make flame & heat. Now I will do some wire brushing & painting.

that is just like the pot I picked up in a yard sale last weekend . Got the pot and 126 lbs of soft lead for $32.50 Works great

Zthomps
08-14-2016, 12:06 AM
That should paint up or polish up real nice good score

bullet maker 57
08-14-2016, 10:00 AM
Good score.

MnSpring
08-23-2016, 12:06 PM

That will work very well for smelting. Have used one just like that for 45 years.
Pot, Used to use a big cast iron one, (it cracked)
So now, a old, 20 lb LP tank, and a Old Freon tank inside of it.
With the Plaster/Sand mix between the two.
(Perhaps a old flea market, dutch oven)

The Only problem is now, filling it.
This CAN be filled Very easy, with the equipment all the LP fillers have.
HOWEVER, the, 'new', laws, say, it doesn't have the, 'new', connection.

So filling it, is finding someone, to fill it, that I know, and knows me, and is willing to ignore the new, 'LAW'.
(Getting harder and harder, last 10 Years)

Probably soon, will have to retro-fit the burner, so it can use the new tank.

Alan in Vermont
08-23-2016, 09:20 PM
The Only problem is now, filling it.
This CAN be filled Very easy, with the equipment all the LP fillers have.
HOWEVER, the, 'new', laws, say, it doesn't have the, 'new', connection.

Not a problem at all, these tanks are considered "industrial use" and are not required to have the new innards. I have heard that at several fill stations. I need to get both my tanks inspected though as some places do check for up-to-date stamps.

woodbutcher
08-23-2016, 09:43 PM
:D Ya lucky bugger.Nice score.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

OS OK
08-23-2016, 10:14 PM
I wouldn't fire it up out there in the dirt yard, that small narrow metal band footing under the tank can press into the soft dirt and tumble over with a load of liquid lead on top...that'll leave a mark for sure. Put that thing on cement, level cement.