PDA

View Full Version : Finally, A Really Nice Score Came My Way!

Alan in Vermont
08-09-2016, 09:45 PM
I drive, part time, for a company that has a hook lift truck and 15 cy open top containers. Today a took a load of scrap metal to a local salvage yard. I scaled in and one of their employees directed me to where I was to dump the load.

On the open tops the tailgate swings horizontally and hooks back to the side of the truck for dumping. So,, I swung the gate around and noticed a bunch of propane tanks on the ground a few feet away. I started walk over to see if any of them were punched, as I need a couple for smelting pots. Nope, none punched but one sort of stood out in the crowd. Hmmmm, wonder if I can buy that one?

Dumped, closed the gate and saw one of the owners approaching. I asked him if I might be able to buy something from him. Showed it to him, he wasn't aware of what it was, so I told him. He hefted, proclaimed, "That's not very heavy, take it"

At first I didn't think I had a way to carry it on the truck, then I remembered the underbody tool box on the curb side. My new-to-me propane plumbers pot fit in there nicely. Enough propane in the tank to slosh and it let out a nice hiss when I cracked the valve. The tank looks like it should past inspection so there's over $200 in value just in the tank, I have no idea what the burner might be worth but I would consider this a really nice score.

Now when I smelt range scrap I can have two pots going and should, very nearly, cut my time in half. Slow link now will be cooling ingot molds fast enough to keep up.