PDA

View Full Version : Grendel P-30

bouncer50
08-09-2016, 08:45 PM
I have one i got in trade a while back. I did like the fire power of 30 22mags rounds. Trouble was the gun would jam once ever 30 rounds. Now 22 mag ammo is hard to find and the price is $$$. Now if i was attack by zombie with some spare mags thats a lot of fire power to have. Other wise my opinion is the gun is pretty much worthless it not very accurate and jams

Earlwb
08-11-2016, 01:47 PM
Go for a Rock Island Armory handgun chambered for the .22 TCM cartridge. It makes for an excellent zombie killer. You can reload for it too. Of course there are a couple of new companies that make a semi-automatic handgun chambered for the .22 magnum too.

mtnman31
08-11-2016, 10:26 PM
I've had my P-30 since they first came out. As a teen, I talked my mom into buying me one. It was my first handgun and purchased with my own money. I won't ever part with it. That said, it's no tack driver, expensive to shoot, and spare parts are non-existent. It's still fun and with a 30 round mag, I can practically shoot all day and only have to reload at lunch time. Mine's reliable with CCI ammo. Key word is "fun".

Earlwb
08-12-2016, 10:49 AM
As I remember it, the AMT Automag was the first semi-auto made to shoot .22 magnums. But they had quality control issues and thus not all of the guns worked OK.
Then of course there is the Grendel P30.
Kel-Tec PMR 30 is another one that they still make today, but it is in high demand and usually everyone sells out quickly.
Excel makes their Excel Accelerator semi's in several barrel lengths. But the magazine capacity is limited to 8 or 10 rounds. But they may share the magazine type with the Kel-Tec. But I don't know for sure though.
Kimber made a 1911 semi that fired .22 magnums too. I am not sure they still make it though.
I think there was someone else who made a .22 magnum semi automatic pistol but I cant think of who they are at the moment.

Tackleberry41
08-12-2016, 12:53 PM
The AMT were a bit finicky, a friend had one. Not sure he ever found an ammo it would feed reliably. And its not like mags were common for them. Neat gun, loud, but not something I would trust for anything but plinking.

I guess there is demand for those Keltech pistols. Friend worked at a range that had one in the case, but had never been rented in 2 yrs due to no ammo. I only occasionally see 22mag in a gun shop, and its gone quick. And with such a shortage Kel tech came out with a rifle using it.

I was looking at a CZ rifle today, but 22mag, so not very practical.

I keep thinking about a gun in 22tcm, but probably wont happen, just another thing to spend money on.

Earlwb
08-12-2016, 07:37 PM
Well the .22 Magnum ammo shortage appears to be coming to an end. For the past month or two the major sporting stores have had .22 mag ammo on their shelves. Not a huge amount mind you, but a fair supply on the shelves. One could easily buy several boxes of the ammo if they want. But my issue with .22 magnum ammo right now is that it tends to cost as much if not more than the low cost 9mm ammo does. It is hard to get excited with using .22 mag ammo for plinking and target shooting, etc. But maybe the price will drop some soon. Right now it seems to be a slow mover off the store shelves. Probably because no one was buying the guns to shoot it with. It is hard for a store to sell a .22 magnum gun when there isn't any ammo that the customer can buy to go with it too.

Tackleberry41
08-13-2016, 01:27 PM
Yea I bought some basic 22mag recently, dont have a gun, but not a bad idea to buy a box here or there, may come in handy. And yea I could buy 9mm same price or cheaper.

I have no plans to buy a 22 mag, anything it will do, I can do with a hornet, and you can reuse those.

Earlwb
08-17-2016, 10:12 AM
I went more modern and got a pistol and rifle both chambered for the .22 TCM cartridge. But over the years I owned a couple three revolvers that had dual cylinders setup for .22 LR or .22 WMR. I never used any of them with the .22 mag rounds though. Way back then many years ago the .22 WMR ammo was still quite expensive as compared to .22 LR ammo. So maybe the cost hasn't really changed all that much for the .22 magnums.