PDA

View Full Version : Have a few Q's to those who are familiar with RCBS 4X4 and Hornady ProJector presses

glock 357
08-09-2016, 08:26 PM
I just acquired a ton of reloading stuff which included a RCBS 4X4, Hornady ProJector and a CH Single stage press. Tons of parts. Mostly for calibers that I don't need. Hopefully someone on here is familiar with either of the first two presses to help out a bit.

The RCBS 4X4 seems to get my attention the most. I would like to get this setup for my 45ACP dedicated. It seems to be setup for manual reloading. There's no indexing rod that came with it. On the shell plate holder; the bolt on there is just a bolt with no hole in the middle for a guide rod to go through. I referenced to a photo online of another possibly 4X4 with a rod going through that bolt. Is there a way to convert this to a progressive? Also any parts source for the large primer ram? I only have the small primer ram currently installed as shown in the photo below.

The Hornady projector seems to work right off the back. I don't plan to change anything on it other than the ejector as shown in the photo below. Anyone have a solution for a better case ejector other than what is currently on there? From time to time shells will bend the ejector and I have to bend it back into place which is annoying. Any possible solutions for the ejector?

Thanks in Advance.

country gent
08-09-2016, 08:58 PM
Not all progressives use an acuator rod thru the center. The 650 is a cam acuated at the bottom of the stroke. So you may need to look a little more. But I believe the 4x4 is meant to compete with the 550 and is a manually operated progresive. As far as the ejector on the hornady beefing it up means it bends or breaks somewhere else or mangales cases. Sometimes a little diffrent angle or a light polish helps things slide thru better. Also try cleaning the shell holder and check for burrs. If the case is sticking or stiff it may create issues with the ejector. Tight or bent rims or binding primers can be a issue also. RCBS should be able to provide the primer parts conversion. Also I would recomend contacting RCBS and Hornady for owners manuals for these machines.They can be handy when there are problems.

seagiant
08-09-2016, 09:17 PM
Hi,
The RCBS 4X4 came in manual and auto models!

I would think RCBS would have anything you need for it but you would have to call the nice lady there and see!

Mine came complete and I just put a LEE self actuating PM on it and have it set up for 45 ACP!

It is an interesting loader with the primer arm feeder swinging back and forth!

A lot of action!!!

Good luck!

noisewaterphd
08-09-2016, 11:06 PM
I don't know much about the RCBS, but any parts you might need RCBS will gladly send you if they still have them. Quck google search shows that model coming in manual and auto configurations, yours looks manual. Still cool, should work just like a Dillon 550.

The Projector is a cool press on it's own, but for a very reasonable amount of money, you can trade it in to Hornady for a spankin' new LnL. Call them. I would be inclined to take them up on the trade just for parts availability.

Nice score BTW!

cheese1566
08-10-2016, 08:44 AM
The ejector on the Projector is a pain. Part of the reason I traded it in for a new LNL.

bend it back gently to the original shape. I found to polish the edge of any burrs where it slides out the case. Plus, I found going slow on the end stroke maybe less headache and less chance to bind on the case. Hornady may have some left, but new parts for the projector are drying up and no longer made.

Fishman
08-12-2016, 10:23 PM
The ejector on the projector is problematic. My solution is simply to knock out the finished round on the way to putting an empty brass case at station 1.

The primer tube and blast casing needs to be tensioned lightly to the press with something like a rubber band or weight to get the consistency needed for reliable primer drops. It still messes up and you have to watch every primer as they position for install.

If you aren't using the priming station, the primer tubes are needed by at least a couple of folks on this site, as I recall, BD was one. Any extra parts are valuable if you want to keep it running.

The trade in is a $200 credit toward the retail cost of a new lnl, IF you have all of the parts. Add the fact that you don't get the bonus 500 bullets and they are giving you less than $100 for a working progressive press. Not a great deal imho.

The old powder drop linkage is junk, the new case activated powder drop is supposed to be better, but I manually run mine. As long as you aren't changing primer size, changing cartridges is pretty quick.

In the end, I went with a Dillon since Hornady's warranty become worthless as soon as a new model press comes out. I like my Projector and still use it, but realize that there are no parts available for it except at the local hardware.

Rockzilla
08-14-2016, 11:07 AM
Have 2 projectors, been picking up parts, here and there, don't really need them but just in case, picked up a shell plate to do 9mm for $20 new. Was going to do the trade-in but...Got a new LNL on Jet for a few dollars more than from Hornady
by trading in the Projector, something to remember, the more complete your projector is as trade-in the more you get, if things
are missing you get less $$$. No problems with the ones I have...

-Rock