PDA

View Full Version : Discontinued brass

salpal48
08-09-2016, 09:15 AM
I generally hit all my LGS appox one a month. Just checking whats new and just BS-ings. Most owner have said the same thing , a lot of Older caliber will be discontinued (Brass). The newest I was concerned about was 30-30 WCF , 35 remington and 30-40 krag. All of these are on the seasonal list Being from the Northeast, The 30-30 and 35 Rem . are 2 of the main staple rifle for Hunter, and shooters. Besides 218Bee and Hornet . The factories are Targeting mostly Rimmed Brass
It seems that this is The norm now when rifles fall out of the main stream
Anyone else hearing this

lefty o
08-09-2016, 09:48 AM
30-30 still sells enough that it will be readily available for some time to come. the others, if you need them buy when you see em. the manufacturers produce what sells, and the old rnds that arent used by many dont make them money, so they dont make em or very rarely make em.

jmort
08-09-2016, 10:13 AM
30-30 is still available from Hornady and Privi. I have no doubt Starline will start producing .30-30 in the near future.

Shawlerbrook
08-09-2016, 10:58 AM
I have heard this specifically from Winchester for the 307, 356, 32 20 and others. I don't think you will ever( at least in our lifetime) have to worry about 30 30. Maybe brass as a component, but here in NY it is still in the top 5 as far as finding factory ammo. It seems that the large ammo makers in general, are shying away from reloading components and concentrating on manufacturing and selling loaded ammo.

gwpercle
08-09-2016, 06:21 PM
Getting things while the getting's good isn't a bad idea. I got 41 magnum moulds but I better lay in a supply of brass...it's not an everyday item any more.
Thanks for the reminder !
Gary

labradigger1
08-09-2016, 07:27 PM
I don't see 30-30 brass being short handed anytime soon for good reason, it still puts a lot of meat on the table here in the east.
I have lots of other rifles but the old thuty thuty still sees hunting grounds a few times a season.

runfiverun
08-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Gary.
it's easy enough to get from star-line.

dragon813gt
08-09-2016, 08:23 PM
The factories are making loaded ammo, not components. Some cartridges are officially dead now. But this is nothing new and happens all the time. And it's specifically why I made the decision to only buy rifles chambered for cartridges that I can easily form brass for. Spefifically 308 since LC brass is cheap and readily available. I'm still working on laying in a lifetime supply.

For the ones I can't covert I bought a lot of it when I could. I won't be caught short. If 35 Remington wasn't such a great round I would sell of my rifles chambered for it. Thankfully people like Grumpa make brass and factory ammo is available again.