PDA

View Full Version : Testing ingots for zinc contamination with muratic acid

dg31872
08-09-2016, 08:13 AM
I have some ingots that may have zinc contamination. I would like to test with muratic acid but am unsure of the correct and safe method. I looked into the archives here and found little info.
Also, remembering my chemistry classes from 40 years ago, there are different concentrations. Which one do I use?
Thanks for the help.

CastingFool
08-09-2016, 08:28 AM
Go back to the Lead and Lead alloys forum. then, find the search forum link on the upper rh corner, and type testing for zinc, then click on search. There are a lot of posts that talk about zinc contamination, testing, etc.

Ken in Iowa
08-09-2016, 08:36 AM
Here is a good one. Citric acid is great for cleaning tarnished brass http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?83978-Citric-acid-based-ZINC-test

bangerjim
08-09-2016, 05:33 PM
Most HCl you buy is 10%. That is plenty strong enough! 30% is considered concentrated and is about as strong ionically as it can get.

Just drip a little on your ingot with an eyedropper and watch for a reaction. 1-5% Zn will not show much reaction...you will need a magnifying glass or microscope to watch for bubbles. Don't worry about 1-5%!

In fact, don't worry about Zn at all! It makes your boolits harder, just a little lighter.......and just add some more Sn for good fill-out.

Do not be frightened by the "big bad zinc monster"! No big whoop.

banger