PDA

View Full Version : Broke Shell Extraction - 22 hornet

chickenstripe
05-27-2008, 02:58 PM
OK guys, need some assistance.

I have a model 40 Savage in 22 hornet that I had a case head seperation, and now I can't get the case out.

I cannot find a case extractor tool for a 22 hornet.

I've tried:
- the shotgun brush trick
- freezing the action, and the shotgun brush trick

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Doughty
05-27-2008, 03:21 PM
chickenstripe,

You might try this. Use an older .22 brush on a rod. Wrap the brush tightly with a flannel type patch material so that the patch extends past the end of the brush about 3/8" or a little less. Make the diameter large enough that you have to tap the brush into the neck (from the breech end) with a small hammer. Tap it in far enough so that the mouth of the case is about at the center of the patch. Then get a rod that is a close fit with the bore diameter. Tap the patched brush back out from the muzzle end. Hopefully the stuck case will come out with it.

Good luck.

scb
05-27-2008, 06:54 PM
The best way I've found is to use Cerosafe. Plug the bore with a patch 1/2 to 1" from the case mouth. Pour molten Cerosafe into the chamber and the short section of the bore, when hardened tap out. Never had it fail to remove the separated case even after the "owners brother-in-law" had spent 2 weeks trying to get it out.

testhop
06-12-2008, 05:51 PM
you mighttry putting the barrel action jn the frezzer yep the frezzer overightt as brass srinks faster than steel it makes it easer to remove the case by running a bore brush in the case
i would run a cleaning rod down the barrelthen put the brush on pull it back turning the rod as you go till it grabs the case job done

pietro
06-12-2008, 09:56 PM
I've had good luck, using the spring hooks that once were in a tool kit supplied by a company I worked for.

Remove the bolt & insert the hook through the rear of the case to catch the case mouth & pull it out.

http://www.crawfordtool.com/springhooks2.html

Bret4207
06-14-2008, 09:40 AM
This will send shivers up your back, but it's never failed me- find a spiral type screw extractor that will fit the case and then tap it out with a rod from the muzzle end. A little penetrating oil first won't hurt.

MtGun44
06-15-2008, 01:42 AM
Would a broken case extractor for .223 fit? They are fairly
readily available for about $5-10 mailorder.

Bill

S.R.Custom
06-15-2008, 09:46 AM
The cerosafe trick works like new money...

lreed
06-15-2008, 04:47 PM
I have used" Locktite" brand superglue several times to remove cartridge cases stuck in sizing dies,figure a seperated case would be even easier, use a sacrifical case,carefully apply glue to outside to match stuck case,forcefully chamber the case, take a coffee break remove. YMMV lreed

chickenstripe
06-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Well I've tried the cerrosafe method.... what a PITA. My guess is that I either let it cool to long, or too much of the barrel was included in the casting. Bent a cleaning rod trying to "tap" the cast out (nice new dewey too!). So now I have a chamber full of cerrosafe.

So I'm about $50 into this process. :roll:

I'm going to heat the barrel and remelt the cerrosafe. Unless this is cause for concern?

I may try the cerrosafe again, but..... I may try one of the other ideas.

Anyone have any ideas how to straighten a cleaning rod? [smilie=1:

clodhopper
06-26-2008, 11:47 PM
Sorry about the dewey rod. I do not have any ideas to fix it. The hardware store sales brass rods to use tapping the cerrosafe out with. 3/16" should work in a .22.
then cut the rod so just a few inches stick out of the barrel so you do not have lots of oppertunity to bend it. Smack sharply with a soft hammer to prevent crown damage.

Bullshop Junior
06-27-2008, 12:25 AM
lag bolt

357maximum
06-27-2008, 11:10 AM
1.Unstock the gun

2.unscope the action

3.find an understanding ol time hardware store

4.take gun into store or cut off another case to match the one in the gun

5.find small lead/zinc concrete anchor that fits case

6.get long eyebolt that fits concrete anchor

7.insert concrete anchor into **** end of ripped case

8.tighten bolt into anchor but do not overtighten

9.find a steel rod 2foot long that fits into eye bolt

10.slip rod through eyebolt place 2ft rod on floor

11. stand on 2ft rod one foot on each side of action

12.grasp barrelled action with rubberized jar removers and twist and pull upwards, while paying attention to the relationship of the barreled action and your nose/face/eyes...if not your face may suffer when it parts company...don't ask[smilie=1:

13.it should come out, if not combine freezer method with above

has worked a few times for me on a few rifles that found their way to me after the owner had failed to remove the brass.

richbug
06-27-2008, 11:15 AM
a 223 case extractor will work fine, but you will have to tap it out from the muzzle rather than using the rifles extractor.

if you are near west central PA you can come use my extractor. I'm in NE Mercer county

Bent Ramrod
06-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Most of the broken shell extractors I have seen are cylindrical to the diameter of the neck part of the chamber and, of course, mimic the length of the shell and the rim design. So, for instance, I keep a .257 Roberts extractor that I found somewhere in with my .25-20's and .25-35's on the chance of a broken shell. I am not able to fully chamber the extractor but I can push it in past the mouth of the broken shell and knock the whole mess out with a cleaning rod.

Another great thing about having a broken shell extractor around is that you hardly ever need to use it once you get it. For some magical reason, the incidence of the problem generally drops three or four orders of magnitude once you have the means of fixing it. This happened with the .25-35 and also with a .44-40. Haven't had another broken shell yet to try them out on. The .25-20 sees occasional use, however.

Another, more hazardous method, is to choose a tap of the correct size and screw it into the broken shell just enough to grip, and then knock that out with the rod. This is the gunsmithing equivalent of brain surgery: it works, but you have to be very careful and a bad job can be disastrous.

A method that works sometimes is to do a bore slugging. With the Hornet, I would use a .22 RF bullet. Make sure the bore is well oiled, upset the bullet a little at the muzzle, and slug the bore as usual. Generally the broken shell comes out ahead of the lead slug.

I'm a little surprised you are having this much trouble with this thing. Generally, broken shells are not stuck in the chambers that tightly. It's just that there isn't anything to grab onto to get them out.

chickenstripe
06-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks everyone for the latest info....

I did however come up with the "tap method" solution before I read i t here. 1/4-28 tap and a cleaning rod from the other end and it came out with 2 good raps.

It seems as though when the shell broke, it kinda flared the end of it toward the chamber, creating a barb that held it in there. When the cerrosafe expanded it pressed the "barb" harder into the chamber.

Gonna have to get access to a borescope and take a look at the chamber.

Thanks again everyone :drinks:

KCSO
06-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Screw an old tap into what is left of the case and tap out. If that won't take the cse out in no time you have chamber problems.