PDA

View Full Version : Remington 141 trigger

Tamerack
05-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Greetings

Are there any Remington 14-141 owners out there? I just recently started shooting my heirloom rifle in .32 rem. It sat in the rack for decades from lack of ammo. I am now loading my own and the gun shoots pretty well so far. The trigger seemed awfully stiff though. Today I checked the trigger pull on four shotguns and two rifles and the 141 is way out front at 13 pounds. I know this gun has a reputation for being mechanically complex and somewhat hand built. I am reluctant to fool with it but am having a hard time shooting consistent groups. Maybe in a hunting situation it wouldn't matter. Just wondered if this is a characteristic of this gun . Any comments or advise would be appreciated.

Tamerack

danski26
05-27-2008, 05:56 PM
Just measured my model 14 and it is 6 1/2 lbs. I don't know why yours is so heavy.

cuzinbruce
05-27-2008, 06:39 PM
I have a Model 141 and the trigger is normal pull weight for a sporting rifle. I've never taken it apart completely. If you look on eBay or Gunbroker.com, you should be able to find a reprint of their takedown manual for not too much money if you feel the need.
They are pretty smooth working guns in my experience. I have taken apart a Remington Model 25, also designed by John Pedersen, of WW I's Pedersen device fame. That one was a bit tricky in getting back together.
Good Luck

danski26
05-27-2008, 08:29 PM
You know.....fellow cheesehead, the first thing I would do is a thorough cleaning. Some od the old weapons will have unbelievable gunk in them. Check out the springs after that. Make sure nothing is broken. Also make sure a burr hasn't developed anywhere.

Baron von Trollwhack
05-27-2008, 09:44 PM
My 141/.32 Remington has a nice 4 pound trigger. It may be that yours is just "gummed up" with decades of oil and hunting debris. I suggest you pull off the buttstock and soak the whole action in Ed"s Red for a couple of days and then blow dry and lightly lube. They can be disassembled but you have to really pay attention or there will be puzzlement on reassembly. We had a nice little thread on the rifles here not long ago too. BvT

As for shooting, you must be consistent in keeping a little forward pressure on the pump handle with the palm of your hand and put the back of your hand on whatever you use for a rest. I've been shooting the Hornady 170 fp over 4895 at .32 Winchester full power levels, with one in the chamber and just two in the tube as I felt that had an accuracy affect .

Steelshooter
05-27-2008, 09:56 PM
Tamerack
I sent an e-mail with pictures of the take down on the 141. If it don't work let me know and I will try again. Its been about 25 years since I owned a 141 but if memory serves me correct it is easy to field strip to clean and it had a nice trigger.
Good luck
Chuck

Tamerack
05-29-2008, 04:41 AM
Thanks guys, I will break it down again when I have time to concentrate. I am trying to get it squared away befor deer season comes again. New rules allow me to use a rifle around home instead of the ol slug gun. I have been shooting Speer 170 grains , 30 to 32 gr 3031. Grandpa got his buck every year with this gun. I don't remember ever seeing more than one bullet hole in them. Looks like I get my chance this fall.

Antietamgw
05-29-2008, 06:25 PM
I would have to agree with those before me that it could probably use a good degreasing and cleaning. It's amazing how the crud builds up, especially if it has been sprayed down with WD-40 and left sit. I don't own a 141 anymore but have been trying to solve that for sometiime. I really liked the one I had as a kid in .30 Rem. Wish I'd realized what a great cartridge it was back then... I have a bunch of trigger shoes marked to fit 141 that I will be listing on the Swappin and Sellin forum when I get the stuff sorted out. If any of you guys have a 141 that you think could stand a better trigger, a shoe can give it a whole different feel. And, I'll gladly trade a couple hundred shoes for just 1 nice 141 :-D

Bret4207
06-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Boy, it's nice to see some guys using these old timers. I can't wait to get my 32 M14 off layaway. Get your 30 Rem brass while you can for conversion, it's kind of rare these days.

NoDakJak
06-15-2008, 12:53 AM
My treasure is a M-141 chambered to 35 Remington. I have owned it for at least 25 years and hve shot it very sparingly as it is almost new condition. I do believe that status has come to an end. It is time that I started casting for it. Had planned to give it to #1 grandson for xmas but think that I will hold off on that until I get to play with many, many cast loads. Neil