PDA

View Full Version : Leementing a Lyman

David R
10-27-2005, 06:22 AM
OK, I tried it, I have a 7.65 arg that has a bore of .314. I took a 311359? Pointed 30 cal boolit mold made for an M1 carbine. It was throwing out of round boolits from .309 to .313. I Took it to work, and did the leement thing to it. I drilled 2 boolits, screwed in a deck screw and cut the head off. Chucked em in the drill press, put valve grinding compound on it and closed the mold for 60 seconds. Repeat....Repeat..... Then I got lazy and just crammed the drill bit into the boolit until it grabbed it. Put on some valve grinding compound and away I went. After I had a pile of 10 abrasive impregnated boolits, I quit and cleaned the mold real well. Took it home and poured a few. Absolutly no improvment. SO if you see a 311359 on Ebay, don't buy it, cause it drops out of round boolits.

I have to try our group buy C314-1502R to see if it shoots. It goes through the .314 push through sizer I bought form LEE with some resistance.

David

BABore
10-27-2005, 12:34 PM
I lapped a Lyman 457643 mold that was dropping a 0.4575" bullet. I ended up using emery buffing compound. It didn't work too well or fast until I drilled the bullet with a smaller pilot hole. I let the screw expand the bullet some so it would finally cut. Had to work band by band by redrilling a clearance fit on the bullet hole. This progressivily worked the screw expansion down the bullet.

Bad news is I started out with a small round bullet and ended up with a larger out of round one. Good news is that it was large at the parting line. I put in one thickness of Beagling tape and now have a perfectly round 0.461" bullet.

Which brings up a personal question. Why doesn't Beagling a normally round bullet mould cause you to get a oblong bullet? I've never seen any comments on this, but it has to happen.