PDA

View Full Version : Testing jacketed vs cast ammo during a range trip; suggestions for procedure ?

Kestrel4k
08-08-2016, 04:05 PM
I have come up with a few of my top candidates for accuracy testing; doing both jacketed and cast loads. (Rifles in question are my stainless Ruger 77/357 & 77/44's.)

Should I test my jacketed loads then my cast loads, or the reverse?

How important is a good barrel cleaning between them? I usually only fire a seasoning shot between different loads when testing, but am thinking that the substantial difference between jacketed & cast might indicate a full bore cleaning & re-seasoning when going between them?

Thanks,

John Boy
08-08-2016, 04:40 PM
Copper foul and BP foul don't mix for accuracy. Shoot led 1st - then shoot jackets. But be sure to clean out the copper before shooting BP again

DougGuy
08-08-2016, 04:58 PM
No, shoot the jacketed first reason being if there is any leading from the cast boolits you could be shooting jacketed into an obstructed bore, "ironing" the lead in even harder and possibly raising pressures while doing so.

OS OK
08-08-2016, 07:18 PM
Depends on what you have been shooting in those weapons...if it were me, I think I'd do this...

Clean the bore...shoot a fowling shot with the lead...do your test
next
Clean the bore...shoot a fowling shot with jacketed...do your test
next
Clean the bore...decide what you are going to feed it and stick with that.

runfiverun
08-08-2016, 10:17 PM
I'd not shoot the jacketed and just use cast for everything.

copper can pick up passing lead and cause you to see an issue you ain't got.

dtknowles
08-08-2016, 11:09 PM
I'd not shoot the jacketed and just use cast for everything.

copper can pick up passing lead and cause you to see an issue you ain't got.

I would find it hard to make a definitive statement on the issue. I don't think than many of my loads fowl a barrel enough to matter except for the lube. I mostly stick with jacket in some guns and lead in others but one gun I use both is my .22 Hornet. I mostly shoot lead thru it but I got some factory ammo a few months back, Hornady 35 gr. V-Max and shot it after many tens of rounds of plain base lead bullets without even a single patch and after a couple rounds to find a zero it went on to shoot the smallest groups they gun has ever shot. Even better than my carefully prepared .35 gr. V-Max hand loads I used to shoot years ago. It was the first sub MOA groups this gun has shot. I am a bit better bench rest shooter than I was a few years ago but the point is the lead fowling did not hurt the groups but I don't think I had much lead fowling. Certainly I would not have considered the bore leaded.

Tim

runfiverun
08-08-2016, 11:57 PM
I don't get all wrapped about one or the other but the 357 and 44 rifles really have no advantage by using the jacketed.
if you do however lay down some copper in the barrel then shoot lead over it you have the chance of it grabbing at the lead as it passes bye, which will make it appear that you have a leading issue.

Scharfschuetze
08-09-2016, 02:09 AM
I think that I'd just shoot one bullet type one day, clean and lube and then shoot the second type another day. That, or you could clean well at the range between bullet types.

Once you've done that and establish a base line for each; you could, if so inclined, fire one over the other another day and compare your accuracy results. Might be interesting.

sghart3578
08-09-2016, 06:36 PM
I do mix the two occasionally. In fact, I did it this morning at the range.

I have been trying to find a cast bullet load for my '03 Springfield(Remington made). It seems to have a slightly larger bore than you would expect.

I have a couple of different molds that I have been trying but I have also been playing with the bedding. It is currently mounted in a Bishop sporter stock.

My range time is limited so I always seem to end up with a bunch of different loads to try when I do get the chance to shoot. I also keep 50 rounds of 150 gr M2 bullets loaded over 16 gr of 2400. This is my "control" group for lack of a better term. They always shoot great.

I shoot my cast loads and compare results. If my testing goes off the rails I fire a group of three of the jacketed M2 rounds just to make sure it is not the rifle. I then shoot a cast bullet fouling shot and resume my testing. I don't seem to have any problems.

This seems to work for me in my rifle. Today I found a load that works. A Lee CTL312-160-2R, cast from WW + a little tin, gas-checked and sized .312" and seated to just cover the tumble lube bands. I tried 16 gr of 2400, 18 gr of 2400 and 13 gr of Red dot.

All three shot into one hole at 25 yards. I was pressed for time so I was limited to our local indoor range. By comparison, a Lee 312-185 shot over 1" at the same distance. Success!

I wish I had more time to experiment. Then I could only change one variable at a time. But it is what it is and I am happy.

Next week I get some time off so it is time to try 100, 200 and 300 yards.