PDA

View Full Version : Hatch Chili Peppers are in!

marlin39a
08-08-2016, 11:55 AM
Local market has Mild, Hot, and Extra Hot from Hatch New Mexico. Going to roast up a bunch of mild and hot for my tastes. Green chili cheeseburgers and green chili stew in my future.

Omega
08-08-2016, 11:57 AM
We need to go out to Denver (home town)and get some hatch chili, here in TN I have not seen it available. If I thought it would make it here I would have some mailed to me each year, it sure makes some good tamales.

Char-Gar
08-08-2016, 03:27 PM
Most of the New Mexico green chilies are grown in Luna County of which Deming is the county seat. Hatch is in Dona Anna County and pack a lot of chilies there under the Hatch name, most coming from Luna County.
There are several varieties of these chilies and come in heat factors from mild to OMG. They are all good!

DLCTEX
08-08-2016, 09:41 PM
I was offered a case recently and the wife told me to only take 8 or 10 as we don't use them often. I roasted, chopped, and froze them. She used them all in three weeks. Next time I will not ask.

Char-Gar
08-09-2016, 04:04 AM
I was offered a case recently and the wife told me to only take 8 or 10 as we don't use them often. I roasted, chopped, and froze them. She used them all in three weeks. Next time I will not ask.

When I lived in Deming NM, the local supermarket would set up a giant roaster in the parking lot to roast chilies just out of the fields. It was a large round rotating wire cage about eight foot long and five foot wide. an electric motor turned it and a propane burner did the roasting. You could smell the roasting chilies all over town. It was a wonderful smell and I headed down there to buy a bunch. No need to tell folks when the chilies were roasting as the breeze brought us the notice.

Shiloh
08-09-2016, 01:56 PM
When I lived in Deming NM, the local supermarket would set up a giant roaster in the parking lot to roast chilies just out of the fields. It was a large round rotating wire cage about eight foot long and five foot wide. an electric motor turned it and a propane burner did the roasting. You could smell the roasting chilies all over town. It was a wonderful smell and I headed down there to buy a bunch. No need to tell folks when the chilies were roasting as the breeze brought us the notice.

Did that in Colorado as well. Some places still do. Roast 'em, peel 'em, bag 'em. Batches for the freezer if you like.

Shiloh

ShooterAZ
08-09-2016, 02:07 PM
Our local Farmer's Market here in Flagstaff does it every year. They have the big rotating wire cage. We buy 3 cases each year and take them home and roast them ourselves on the BBQ. 3 cases lasts us all year. I'm originally from NM and absolutely love green chilies...hot sweet and delicious.

gwpercle
08-09-2016, 04:26 PM
Local market has Mild, Hot, and Extra Hot from Hatch New Mexico. Going to roast up a bunch of mild and hot for my tastes. Green chili cheeseburgers and green chili stew in my future.

I need an authentic green chili stew recipe.....I enjoyed it in Arizona a few years ago , but finding a proper recipe in Louisiana has been non productive. While passing a local food store they had a big drum roaster set up and were loading it with large green chili peppers , now I know where to get peppers....just don't have a proper recipe. Care to share one or two ?
Gary

ShooterAZ
08-09-2016, 04:59 PM
Green Chili Stew...We use one 1 quart carton chicken broth, 2 pounds pork shoulder, 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped. 3/4 of a large yellow onion finely chopped. 3 medium yellow potatoes cut into bite size chunks. 8 large fire roasted Hatch green chilies chopped finely. Put all into crock pot on high for 6-7 hours. When the meat is getting tender, fork it apart to your liking. Salt and pepper to taste. We have a crock pot of this going right now, and it smells delicious!

marlin39a
08-09-2016, 05:02 PM
I need an authentic green chili stew recipe.....I enjoyed it in Arizona a few years ago , but finding a proper recipe in Louisiana has been non productive. While passing a local food store they had a big drum roaster set up and were loading it with large green chili peppers , now I know where to get peppers....just don't have a proper recipe. Care to share one or two ?
Gary

PM Sent.

Freightman
08-09-2016, 07:46 PM
Surplus food store here has them at the end of summer $1.50 a toe sack full.

2thepoint
08-14-2016, 01:28 PM
Hi All,
Does anyone have a source for hatch's that will ship for a reasonable cost?? I've never had them and would love to try some. Any leads are appreciated.
thanks,
Phil

MaryB
08-15-2016, 12:52 AM
https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/shop/fresh-hatch-green-chile/hot/

Col4570
08-15-2016, 02:49 AM
My Cayenne and Jalapenos are ready now,there is some soft blue vein Cheese on sale here called Saint Agur,Split the Jalapeno,salt it and spread a bit of saint Agur in it,lovely creamy and hot combination.The Jalapeno seeds packet describes them as medium hot but I think they are Hot.The cayennes are extremely hot but usefull in cooked dishes.Next job,roast some Jalos wrapped in bacon.
Regarding hatch chilies are these a variety or is it where they originate?

marlin39a
08-15-2016, 09:06 AM
My Cayenne and Jalapenos are ready now,there is some soft blue vein Cheese on sale here called Saint Agur,Split the Jalapeno,salt it and spread a bit of saint Agur in it,lovely creamy and hot combination.The Jalapeno seeds packet describes them as medium hot but I think they are Hot.The cayennes are extremely hot but usefull in cooked dishes.Next job,roast some Jalos wrapped in bacon.
Regarding hatch chilies are these a variety or is it where they originate?

Good question. Looks like the common Anaheim Chili that is available here year round. The Hatch Chili is grown in the area of Hatch and Deming, New Mexico. Only available for a short time in late Summer. Available canned year round. They are available mild, hot, or extra hot. Best to roast them on a grill until blackened. Let them steam in a covered bowl for at least 15 minutes. Peel off the loose skins, clean out seeds. The smell and flavor are incredible. I freeze in bags for use through Winter.

Col4570
08-15-2016, 12:11 PM
Good question. Looks like the common Anaheim Chili that is available here year round. The Hatch Chili is grown in the area of Hatch and Deming, New Mexico. Only available for a short time in late Summer. Available canned year round. They are available mild, hot, or extra hot. Best to roast them on a grill until blackened. Let them steam in a covered bowl for at least 15 minutes. Peel off the loose skins, clean out seeds. The smell and flavor are incredible. I freeze in bags for use through Winter.
Thanks for the info,they sound tasty.

2thepoint
08-15-2016, 04:41 PM
https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/shop/fresh-hatch-green-chile/hot/

Thanks Mary, I'll give them a try.

Col4570
08-16-2016, 02:14 AM
Roast Chilies,do I roast them in the oven dry or with oil?Excuse my naivety just getting into Growing and enjoying them.

marlin39a
08-16-2016, 06:55 AM
Roast Chilies,do I roast them in the oven dry or with oil?Excuse my naivety just getting into Growing and enjoying them.

lay them out dry on a baking pan. Roast under a broiler. Turn when blackened. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. They will steam in their own heat. After 15 minutes the skins will come off easily and the peppers will be very moist.

Col4570
08-16-2016, 11:06 AM
lay them out dry on a baking pan. Roast under a broiler. Turn when blackened. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. They will steam in their own heat. After 15 minutes the skins will come off easily and the peppers will be very moist.
Will try that tomorrow.Thanks.

Col4570
08-18-2016, 03:07 AM
Tried my first Roasted black,peeled and stuffed with Cheddar Cheese Jalapenos today.The roasting gives another dimension to them.Picked four nice plump ones for the test run.I thought they where tasty raw but the roasting does the trick.

edler7
08-24-2016, 01:46 PM
I lived in south central Colorado for the first 50+ years of my life. A lot of people there roast chiles on their outdoor grills, if they don't get them already roasted at the farms.

I used to go to the farms and just stand around the roasters and soak up the aroma. Heaven !

I need an authentic green chili stew recipe

Search this section for New Mexico Green Chile Stew.

DLCTEX
08-28-2016, 09:16 PM
Our local grocery roasted and sold 80 cases of Hatch peppers yesterday. Pretty good for a town of 1700 residents.

DougGuy
09-22-2016, 09:20 AM
Hatch Chile & Bacon cornbread! SOOOO GOOD!

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Beans%20N%20Cornbread/20160921_174517_zpsfeojkaao.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Beans%20N%20Cornbread/20160921_174517_zpsfeojkaao.jpg.html)

shaner
09-27-2016, 08:51 AM
Hatch Chile & Bacon cornbread! SOOOO GOOD!

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Beans%20N%20Cornbread/20160921_174517_zpsfeojkaao.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Beans%20N%20Cornbread/20160921_174517_zpsfeojkaao.jpg.html)
That looks AND Sounds GREAT!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk