PDA

View Full Version : I need help--- just knowledge

castalott
08-08-2016, 08:13 AM
A good Chinese friend wants me to sponsor his brother to come here legally. I think both are pretty rich but the government needs income, not real estate, for the I864 application.

What are my liabilities if I would sign the I864 affidavit of support?

Thanks

Dale

Preacher Jim
08-08-2016, 08:22 AM
I would check legal advice on this one. Shade tree mechanics get a car running a professional mechanic fixes the cause of the problem
Jmho

Blackwater
08-08-2016, 09:23 AM
I have a friend whose wife was an immigrant from Australia. I think Jim gives excellent advice. Unless you're a terrorist these days, the immigration folks can be VERY tough to deal with, and VERY technically oriented, and that ain't good for anyone! I'd stick with Jim's good advice, and keep my eyes very much open. Some of those bureaucrats can be unbelievably petty and sometimes, even just plain MEAN and heartless.

Pine Baron
08-08-2016, 09:25 AM
Proceed with caution.

The I-864 is a binding contract between the joint sponsor and the Federal government. It can be enforced by either the sponsored immigrant or a government agency seeking reimbursement of certain benefits to the sponsored immigrants. A joint sponsor’s obligations last for an indefinite period of time. So a joint sponsor’s potential liability is significant. The amount is also unpredictable, especially if the joint sponsor hasn’t vetted the finances of the petitioner and sponsored immigrant.
The joint sponsor may want to consider entering into agreements with the sponsor and the sponsored immigrant waiving any liability to them and seeking indemnification from them if any government agency seeks reimbursement from the joint sponsor for benefits received by the sponsored immigrant. It’s not clear that such agreements are enforceable, but it may be worth a try.