PDA

View Full Version : First handload results... Marlin 336 35 Rem

jonk
05-27-2008, 09:30 AM
So having 20 cases ready to go and a generous donation of 200 gr FP GC bullets from an RCBS mold (thanks to board member ICERUSA), as well as some 158 gr RN bullets borrowed from my .38 special reloading efforts, I loaded up and hit the range.

I started out with a Lee 1.3cc scoop of Red Dot, having looked in the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook and finding that up to 11.5 gr of Red Dot for even the 200 grainer should be no problem (and it was no problem). 10 rounds of the RCBS bullets, 10 of the Lyman 158 gr, as cast, running about .360, tumble lubed.

Both loads were a bit tight on chambering. I had to give that lever a good squeeze. I'm thinking neck turning might be in my future for use of cast in this gun.

Both shot low at 50 yards, even with the sights on the highest setting. It was after all a plinker load. A more proper powder will help.

The 158 showed a markedly better accuracy than the 200 gr with this load.

Also, one of the bullets- I don't know which- perhaps both- leaded the barrel. Slivers of lead came out. It wasn't hard to remove, but I suspect the RCBS was to blame- great looking bullets but sized to .358. With the microgroove rifling that may be an issue.

More tests to follow. Something like 20 gr of 3031 or 16 gr of 4759 should proove interesting. Unless you all have a suggestion...?

garandsrus
05-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Jonk,

I load the RCBS 35-200 in 35 Rem with 11.5gr Unique. The velocity is a little over 1400 fps. Accuracy at 50 yds has been very good.

The throat on my rifle is a little tight also. I think it has more to do with the boolit engraving the rifling than the thickness of the brass. Reduce your seating depth to see if you can chamber the boolits more easily.

John

IcerUSA
05-27-2008, 01:04 PM
What I did to get the OAL for my Marlin was to seat a boolit in a case with just case tension on the boolit and then chamber it to get OAL in the chamber then tried it in the tube to see if it cycled , had to shorten it just a little to cycle and that was my OAL .
I also have a scope on mine so it wasn't hard to get on target , still working on loads but the ones I did do so far where promising with all the powders that I have tried so far .

Jonk , I thought the ones I sent where sized .360 but maybe not , mind slips a little now days . :)

Most of the boolits that can run in a .357 should also work if they cast big enough .

Fun shooting rifle so far with all the lead I have shot in it from plinker to hunting loads and some of the plinker's fell like shooting a 22 Mag . :)

The 200gn does better at hunting load speeds so far and I have a 148gn SWC PB that is a hoot to shoot at plinker speed .

Keith

jlchucker
05-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Jonk, I cast my RCBS 200's for both my 35's out of 9 parts WW, 1 part pure lead, and size to .358. I use 21.0 gr XMP5744, and get very tight groups at 50 yd. No leading. Using the same alloy and diameter, I've also had excellent results in my own rifles and in the rifles of two friends with the Lyman 205 gr bullet, behind 34.0 gr 748. One friend and his son both swear by this load on nuisance beavers that have elected to flood parts of his farm. All rifles concerned have microgroove barrels. I used to use 748 with the RCBS bullet, but the last experimentation that I did with 5744 worked so good that It's now my cast-bullet load for 35 Rem. I've never tried a bigger diameter because I only have a .358 sizer. I'm thinking about getting a RanchDog mold for the 35, and trying some of his tumble lube designs--they look good. I'll try a bigger sizer when I do.

jonk
05-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Icer,

You may well have sized to 360; I didn't measure them. I just know where my Lyman mold drops, and felt that your bullets weren't as hard to chamber as the Lyman mold at .360".... but that doesn't mean anything. I'll check 'em. :-)

I hate to buy another powder, so I'll hold off on the 5744 for now but if I DO have to buy another it will be high on my list.