PDA

View Full Version : Old nra lube have a few questions

Strtspdlx
08-07-2016, 10:09 PM
I've been using this live as 1 part beeswax 1 part paraffin 1 part Vaseline and it has worked great. Little to no smoke. Lubes extremely well but I'm using it as a pan lube and I pop them out from the nose first. For the most part they all have full lube grooves but the lube doesn't exactly stick to the lead. It's more or less just hanging on. What can I do to make it more tacky or stick to the lead better? Light handling has been knocking the lube out of the grooves recently. And it seems I may be burning off some of the beeswax when reheating. Could a lose of beeswax be causing the issue?

Cowboy_Dan
08-07-2016, 10:45 PM
Not sure about the lost beeswax, but a double boiler should be sufficent heat to melt that lube without losing beeswax. A little lanolin should add a bit of tack to the lube. Start off trying about a pinkynail-sized blob and add more as needed.

runfiverun
08-07-2016, 11:30 PM
3-5% Lanolin will add a bunch of tackiness and some smoothness to the lube.

I don't know what temp your using to melt the lube but 150-f is more than enough.
the vasoline melts a tick over 100-f the paraffin at @ 120-f and the beeswax at @150-f.
the vasoline and paraffin will drag the bees wax's melt point down quite a bit.

runfiverun
08-07-2016, 11:32 PM
if the lube is feeling a little crumbly that's the paraffin, it generally needs a little more mineral to plasticize it.
vasoline is mineral oil.

Strtspdlx
08-08-2016, 09:40 AM
Okay it may be time to mix all my pans back together and add some Vaseline and beeswax. It's getting a bit too hard and the color is off from my original mixture which worked phenomenally

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-08-2016, 11:01 AM
Another 'general' hint/tip/trick I've learned for any type of lube application, if there is some problem of lube coming out of the grooves of the finished product, is ...Pre-heating the boolits, having the boolits the same temp or warmer will help the lube adhere to the boolits better.

You don't mention the details of your technique, but if you heat the boolit/pan/lube combo for 20 to 30 minutes, then your boolits are probably fully heated. It takes a while for room temp lead alloy to reach your lube's temperature. But pre-heating your boolits with a heatgun or something, before you put them in the pan, will save you that 20-30 minutes of time.

Strtspdlx
08-08-2016, 01:16 PM
I normally have a small pie pan ready to go with holes already there from previous run. So I just slip new Boolits into existing holes and put it on my stove at the lowest heat possible. It usually takes between 15-25 mins for all the lube to completely melt. Once it's all melted I shutoff the stove and let it semi harden. Once it's semi hard they go into the fridge for about 25-30 minutes or if I'm not trying to run a lot that day I'll let the pan sit on the stove with the heat off and let it come to room temperature over a day or two. Either way I've never had a problem with the lI've not adhering to the grooves like I have recently.

RU shooter
08-08-2016, 02:04 PM
I normally have a small pie pan ready to go with holes already there from previous run. So I just slip new Boolits into existing holes and put it on my stove at the lowest heat possible. It usually takes between 15-25 mins for all the lube to completely melt. Once it's all melted I shutoff the stove and let it semi harden. Once it's semi hard they go into the fridge for about 25-30 minutes or if I'm not trying to run a lot that day I'll let the pan sit on the stove with the heat off and let it come to room temperature over a day or two. Either way I've never had a problem with the lI've not adhering to the grooves like I have recently.

you sorta pan lube like I do except for the way you get them outa the cake ,little tip I learned If the bullets have a long enough nose that is above the lube line when the lube cools solid but still a little warm just grab the nose with a set of needle nose pliers and pull straight up . They come out grooves filled every time . I refill the empty holes with bullets and re melt the next batch in a toaster oven set at 140-150 for 10-15 min that way bullets get similar temp as the lube ..

Tim