PDA

View Full Version : I think I dodged a bullet

DCP
08-07-2016, 06:12 PM
I think I dodged a bullet

This is hard to write I feel so stupid!

I had some old 5.56 loads I took on trade years ago on Stripper clips about 100 rounds. Need to sight in the ar15 so I took them to the range.

1st round wont eject and no range rod

2nd rifle I take another mag and on the 2nd shot the mag comes apart blows off the mag and the spring and top. The round wont eject. Now I have 18 loose rounds on the table and low and hold there is 4 reloads among them.

3rd check other 3 mags and find 30 reloads

So I put mag back together and it looks fine.

Take the 5.56 barrel out (it’s a Take Down)
Barrel looks ok but still no range rod round stuck in chamber

So I put all the mags away and install the 300 BO barrel everything looks fine. Get the other mags out and everything went fine.

I ask the wife if she wants to shoot. That was a big NO

I have never shoot anyone’s reloads until now!
I am not even going to shoot the ones that may not be reload

Bass had blown out at the head

I have inspected the barrels uppers and chambers and everything looks good to go

Ben
08-07-2016, 07:57 PM
Shooting anyone's reloads that you don't know ( and hopefully for a LONG TIME ) , as you've found out , can be very dangerous.

I'm just glad that no one was hurt.

Ben

DerekP Houston
08-07-2016, 08:18 PM
Wow talk about a close call. And people wonder why when i ask if they want to shoot I only allow my guns and loads....

Thank goodness you were ok!

runfiverun
08-08-2016, 10:19 PM
antennae.
clip the ball off.

Artful
08-09-2016, 12:11 AM
Hmmm - Antenna in the windshield - other car - Antenna has wire wrapped around the outside of it all powdercoated together

DCP
08-09-2016, 07:52 AM
antennae.
clip the ball off.

Man I must be having a real bad week. I have no idea what your trying to say. :veryconfu

Wait I think I get it.
You me to take YOUR antennae and clip the ball off and use it for a range rod.:bigsmyl2:

lefty o
08-09-2016, 08:30 AM
never ever shoot another persons reloads, i dont care if you know them or not. way too many tards out there attempting to reload ammunition.

DCP
08-09-2016, 09:06 AM
Well I did think they were all new 62 grain ss109 green tips. They all have Green tips.
I should have check all the rounds as they came off the stripper clips[smilie=b:

I can tell you this,
This is a sure fire way to save your ammo and not have your wife use it up.[smilie=1:

Tackleberry41
08-09-2016, 11:41 AM
I generally dont touch any handload not done by me. I have one friend who loads I would trust, but he always calls me when he runs into issues, and wont deviate from the book.

I have friends who are not so cautious. One got a new 300AAC, was firing it and it stopped, primers were blowing out, one got down in the trigger. To me you set those aside for the bullet puller. No he was gonna burn em up, it will be ok. Come to find out, whoever loaded them was resizing .311 AK bullets to .308, I guess they were 308. No way Im going to try shoving a jacketed bullet thru any of my sizers. He gave me a box of cast one day, same guy gave them to him, so I was skeptical. He wont use cast, they were the Lee 230gr, only a very few were even 309, and then it was only one driving band all the rest were way under size. I just melted them down. Now when he wants some 300 ammo, he hands the brass, powder etc to this guy to load.

And last time I was there, somebody he knows had his brand new 300AAC AR, apart, he had gotten A round stuck in it. Thought it was A round, come to find out 2 208gr amax stuck in it. I cant believe they just looked around the garage for 'something' they could drive them out with. Ended up being a long spade drill bit, shoved it down the barrel and went at it with a hammer. Didnt budge, eventually were using the sledge side of a splitting maul, not that it made a difference. Ended up with a rather heavy duty muzzle break bent from sitting it on the concrete floor to beat on. Okay so out of curiosity what sort of load data? Trail boss.....duplexed with H110. First one they tried barely made it out the end, which would have been a good place to stop. Then offered me some 223 subsonic they had loaded, yea Ill pass thanks. They were 75gr anyways, I could not get a 65gr to stabilize out of a 1-9 barrel at subsonic. Had to be a flat based 60gr or lighter.

dverna
08-09-2016, 01:42 PM
IF someone wants to shoot one of my guns, they cannot use their reloads. They can use mine, or shoot factory.

Another piece of advice. NEVER buy powder if the container has been opened. You never know what the last person poured into it. Maybe 999 times out of thousand it will be just fine - but what if??? I knew a guy that would buy odd lots of powder from gun shows and mix them together to get a "mystery powder" for his 12 ga loads. I wound up shooting next to him at an ATA match and gave him 3 boxes of AA's to complete the last three fields. It was either shoot the factory ammo or I would re-squad. He thought I was being silly but the variation in report with each shot scared the heck out of me.

victorfox
08-13-2016, 12:05 AM
This is the reason I have this silly taurus judge. Ammo is very very expensive here in brazil and much more expensive to get a reload permit. I can buy badly reloaded 380/38spl at the range for US$ 1/rd, but it's their reloads... I've handled some 380 badly sized, bulged at the base, 38 bullets would spin around the crimp and they talk "loading +P". In my book this translates to ka-boom... I've seen many cratered primers, swollen bases, scratched necks, etc, in that range's brass I wonder how are the guns they shot these into..

At least I can control the stupid things I load in my shells, and I'm not THAT MUCH stupid...

mcdaniel.mac
08-13-2016, 03:54 AM
I think I dodged a bullet

This is hard to write I feel so stupid!

I had some old 5.56 loads I took on trade years ago on Stripper clips about 100 rounds. Need to sight in the ar15 so I took them to the range.

1st round wont eject and no range rod

2nd rifle I take another mag and on the 2nd shot the mag comes apart blows off the mag and the spring and top. The round wont eject. Now I have 18 loose rounds on the table and low and hold there is 4 reloads among them.

3rd check other 3 mags and find 30 reloads

So I put mag back together and it looks fine.

Take the 5.56 barrel out (it’s a Take Down)
Barrel looks ok but still no range rod round stuck in chamber

So I put all the mags away and install the 300 BO barrel everything looks fine. Get the other mags out and everything went fine.

I ask the wife if she wants to shoot. That was a big NO

I have never shoot anyone’s reloads until now!
I am not even going to shoot the ones that may not be reload

Bass had blown out at the head

I have inspected the barrels uppers and chambers and everything looks good to go
OPR...not even once!

I had a buddy who works at a sizable manufacturing outfit in central FL making ARs. He does mostly procurement and contracts, and was fit to split over the deal he got on M855 loaded new brass ammo at the SHOT show. 20,000 rounds at $.19/rd.

He called me a month later after they arrived asking if i knew someone with a method for pulling 19,970 bullets of 5.56. Turns out he'd bought proof loads, every single one, and ran a magazine through his rifle before he realized what was happening. Whoops.

warboar_21
08-17-2016, 08:19 PM
Glad you are safe and your guns are no worse for the wear.

Recently I started working with a guy who has been a reloader for years. In conversation talking about load development some of the things he was saying had me cringing. One day he brought me up a bunch of empty brass and then a bunch of loaded Colt rounds. He said they would be safe if I fired them in my Blackhawks but I told him I wouldn't shoot unknown loads nor other peoples handloads through my guns. He was a bit offended by the comment but I would rather hurt someone's feelings rather than hurt myself or guns.

Gtek
08-17-2016, 09:33 PM
I think you "DODGED" more than a bullet!

PS Paul
08-17-2016, 10:25 PM
Yikes! I've said before there are many who just don't have the aptitude for doing what we do safely. Seems more and more true every day.

Hamish
08-17-2016, 10:33 PM
yup, consider someone else's reloads as buying lottery tickets for a Darwin Award,,,,,

Ballistics in Scotland
08-31-2016, 12:56 PM
A range rod gets compressed, not stretched, and anybody can carry four or five inches of brass rod. 7/32 may be a smooth running fit in the lands of a .22 barrel, or you can rub it down with abrasive paper till it is. Then fill the barrel and jammed case with water and use the short rod as a piston, which you hit with something substantial. Fhere is a good chance that that will extract the case.

Mytmousemalibu
08-31-2016, 01:52 PM
A range rod gets compressed, not stretched, and anybody can carry four or five inches of brass rod. 7/32 may be a smooth running fit in the lands of a .22 barrel, or you can rub it down with abrasive paper till it is. Then fill the barrel and jammed case with water and use the short rod as a piston, which you hit with something substantial. Fhere is a good chance that that will extract the case.

That's probably not going to work so swell with an AR beings its direct gas impingement and generally you want to extract a stuck case with the bolt open. Just saying. Kind of a mess having to dry the water out of the action and rust may or may not be an issue. Id just soon have multiple short squib rods in my range bag.