PDA

View Full Version : Building a new box blind for deer & Hog w/ a handgun

BKS
08-07-2016, 02:56 PM
I am gonna bite the bullet a build a 4x8 box blind on skids for deer and hog hunting.
Sometimes Momma will go hunting with me or the kids.
The main feature I want to make sure I get right is the height of the windows. I am gonna try really hard to shoot one with my 44 Super Blackhawk Hunter and want to make sure that the windows are big enough so the gun doesnt hit them in recoil?
Am I over thinking this or not?
I figure Im gonna need to wear hearing protection even sitting on a ladder stand so I may as well be comfy inside a blind.

Any suggestions are appreciated.?

WebMonkey
08-07-2016, 04:00 PM
only suggestion i have is:
build two and drop the spare off at my place please.
:)

i built the floor of a box blind last summer.
never got around to the box part. it was a mild deer season last year.
i'll regret it this year no doubt!

yes, make your aperture tall enough for muzzle jump regardless.
you'll be glad of the xtra space if just for the ease of deploying/retrieving the firearm.

i'll be watching for your update w/photos.
i could use some inspiration.

Jal5
08-07-2016, 05:28 PM
I would love to see photos too

BKS
08-07-2016, 07:20 PM
Im trying to post photos but have to go to a computer apparently.
Posted on another forum and the gentleman stated that he did his with vertica windows for the muzzle jump especially for handgun hunting.

richhodg66
08-07-2016, 08:35 PM
We hunted quite a bit out of these pop up blinds when my boys were small. Works pretty well, but no real protection from the elements, just light rain and bugs, still cold.

rodwha
08-07-2016, 09:12 PM
Make sure you have windows that will close. One hunting partner had an owl living in his. Scared the hell out of him! Sure was a mess in there too.

BKS
08-07-2016, 10:28 PM
Make sure you have windows that will close. One hunting partner had an owl living in his. Scared the hell out of him! Sure was a mess in there too.

Yep, some friends didnt have windows and the buzzards ruined them too.

rodwha
08-07-2016, 10:39 PM
Eewwww! That had to have been pretty nasty!

08-08-2016, 10:18 AM
Would suggest that with your windows, make provisions against silhouetting yourself against the horizon. It betrays movement. I use a cloth camo drop curtain so I'm always backed up by something. If I had the open horizon behind me, my movements in the shaded blind would stand out like a neon sign. Make everything super simple, very quiet, and operated easily with one hand.

BKS
08-08-2016, 05:13 PM
The welding company that is making mine says they can do vertical windows, Im waiting to hear back from them.

44man
08-09-2016, 09:00 AM
One thing, deer and animals know when something is out of place. Deer know every stump and blade of grass where they live. To drag a blind in when you hunt can defeat you. Best to set up long before season and let animals get used to it.
Those pop up blinds you carry in will alert every animal.
Skids are nice but take it to the spot well in advance. Never the day you hunt.

BKS
08-09-2016, 10:00 AM
I hope to have it in place by the middle of Sept. Our rifle season starts the 2nd week of Nov.
Im also going to buy a ladder to put up and hunt from soon.

44man
08-09-2016, 10:23 AM
I hope to have it in place by the middle of Sept. Our rifle season starts the 2nd week of Nov.
Im also going to buy a ladder to put up and hunt from soon.
Good thinking. You will be OK.

Shawlerbrook
08-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Here in Central NY, we get below zero weather by the end on the mz season, so box blinds are a blessing. We have 3 elevated boxes on our 110 acres. We build them out of 2x4's and plywood and assemble the wall then put them together on the platforms in the field. We insulate them with foam board and use sliding basement Windows from Lowes/ HD. Metal roofs work best here and with a Big Buddy propane heater you are comfy no matter how brutal the weather. We set the windows so when seated in a rolling desk chair you can comfortable see and rest your gun on the sill. If I recall that was about 40" to the sill. Sizes are 6'x8', 5'x5' and 5'x6'. The 5'x5' is a little tight for two people but it has been a trial and error endeavor.

white eagle
08-09-2016, 12:44 PM
built mine 6'x8'@10'off the ground
kept window opening open so I was not limited
by window size
you can also run heater when cold and not have to worry
about condensation and fogging
when building make sure your backside has shielding
as to not silhouette yourself from a distance
you are easy to spot that way

merlin101
08-09-2016, 01:37 PM
Seems just about everything has been covered except a lock. To keep out unwanted two legged guests either have a removeable ladder locked to a nearby tree or lock the door. If you leave it open it won't take long before someone else claims it.
I showed up early opening day one year and a guy was already in my stand! He then began to argue on who owned the land and whose stand it was! I prevailed and hunted that day, the next day the stand was torn apart and and the ladder missing. I guess he was a sore loser.

Hogtamer
08-09-2016, 02:50 PM
I have a couple of buddies who hunt out of pop-ups. Turkeys are clueless, deer oblivious if brushed in a little, hogs are wary no matter what he does. This is in SC where legal to hunt over corn.

BKS
08-09-2016, 09:33 PM
Im most likely going to put a 12" wide by 24" tall single window in the center of the front and side walls. Maybe a couple of peep holes on the front. I figure that will keep it pretty dark in there.
We lock all our stuff and have been lucky so far that not much has been taken.
With this one on skids, Im planning on anchoring it underneath with a large screw in ground anchor and chaining it to a tree if possible.
We hunt over feeders too, ain't ever seen a deer eat a pine tree. ��

RP
08-09-2016, 09:42 PM
I just built some which I place on towers but could be used for a ground blind also. If I can remember the measurements right they go close to this double checking would be a great plan.
4+8 sheet cut it at 57 inchs and set to the side the 58 is the top or roof the drop is use later
4+8 sheet cut it at 57 inchs and this is the back and the drop is used later yes its the same cut.
4+8 sheet cut to 43 wide and then in half which will give you two a @ 43+48 Those are the side bottom section.
The drop off one of the first cuts is your bottom front which should be 38+48 that is where I place the door mine are 24 inchs wide depending on how wide you want the door then split the drop for each side of the door I place the door in the center of the front so you can have supports in the corners which double as a shelf.
Out of the other drop second cut make sure it is trimmed to 43 which how wide the stand will be mark 9 inches up on one side and 15 on the other that gives you a angle for the roof and adds height to the front of the stand.
You should also have a drop to cut a piece 15+48 that is the top part of your front.
My window height is 9 inches
I do not cut out the side windows until I have it together to keep it as strong as I can until its squared up.
I use 2+4 ripped in half for my framing and put it together with a harbor freight staple gun using 1 1/2 staples longer if they have them cannot remember which ones I got.
The floor is framed up 2+4s covered with decking boards so the dirt will fall out and some old carpet for the feet placement area to keep noise down.
Do not toss the drops you have left cut them into triangles for the corners which holds things square and work for a shelf right at window area but also place them at the roof line even at the floor if you want. I place them at the floor since my floors are on the platform they sit on and are place after its stood up with a front end loader, Using the cut down 2+4s cuts weight and they can be set with a few guys and a truck but I am to old for that.

My framing is really just in all the joints with one in the center of the roof line and boarding the windows and door. Oh trim the door a half inch more so it will not drag and use some of the drops to keep it square also.

My seat is made out of decking boards sight angle on the seat and back for easier seating. supports for bench are stapled to the sides with legs on the sides also just in case.

These is the most cost effective way I have found to build the stands with very little waste If you want more head room the cost jumps. Me and my wife have hunted this size stand yes its a little snug but not to bad. Now that depends on the size of the hunters I am 185 lbs 6 foot tall and well she is my wife not saying anything else.

I have some pictures of the last ones I built this year if you PM me a phone number I send you some pictures. I do not have a board count on the 2+4s since I had them on hand.

I forgot I use old rubber roofing material for the roof but tin would work too and paint the inside dark and use burlap as blinds on wire I can slide to the side when its time to shoot.

DanWalker
08-10-2016, 06:10 PM
I bowhunt antelope from a popup blind. They don't seem to mind it much at all as long as I wear black and keep away from the window. I get them within 5 yards all the time. I set it up the morning of the hunt and take it down when I go home. if I don't, the free range cows will rub up against it and destroy it when they come to the water hole. If you're building a wooden blind, I would suggest painting the interior black, and wearing black clothing. Helps a lot with disguising movement. Also, if you're going to have company with you, I would suggest putting some cheap carpet on the floor so that if they move at an inopportune time (when game is close) their chairs don't scrape and spook the animals.

richhodg66
08-10-2016, 07:29 PM
I have a couple of buddies who hunt out of pop-ups. Turkeys are clueless, deer oblivious if brushed in a little, hogs are wary no matter what he does. This is in SC where legal to hunt over corn.

If you're dumb enough to set one up in a mowed field, I guess it could be a problem. I always tied them in to whatever vegetation was around and had deer several times walk within spitting distance without realizing anything was up, didn't even need to have a bait.