PDA

View Full Version : Encore action

bigted
08-07-2016, 02:33 PM
So took apart my TC encore action to deep clean and after cleaning I began reassembly.

I always been agrivated by the hindrance of not being able to open the action when cocked and not able to cock the hammer while the action is open.

Now I know that this is a safety thing TC installed to CYA ... But it always bothered me so I left out the plate that ensures these safety to see if the action would continue working without it ... It does work fine but ... Wanted to check in with you all to see if I have missed anything that will bite me later.

What say Yee?

dannyd
08-07-2016, 03:43 PM
may want to put it back, I may not lock up right later on.

nagantguy
08-07-2016, 04:24 PM
I've heard from mike bellum I believe that without that plate the hammer can be sent forward, either Cockeysville or down and discharge any round in the chamber....this is not holy doctrine but what I've been told.

Doc Highwall
08-07-2016, 04:24 PM
If you really want to know ask this guy.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=562

bigted
08-08-2016, 07:43 AM
In hindsight I do believe that I will put the plate back in. Don't know what the problem would be but I also do not have the insight of the factory ... So as it is really just a little thing to tolerate and I will be assured that the action is as it were when it left the factory.

Sometimes my mind is a terrible place to spend time ��

Petander
07-13-2019, 05:24 PM
I was trying an older Encore (rifle,short barrel) today,shooting from bags on a bench.

The action flew open when firing,the force dropped the rear stock from the small rear bag/my shoulder and the rifle was free to jump back towards my face. Luckily the scope hit my forehead,not eye or nose. One stitch only but you know... can't stitch eyes... There was no fired case in the chamber, it probably flew over my head.

Gun is not mine. Ideas about the action opening like that?

leadman
07-20-2019, 05:46 PM
Either a defective/broken/oiled locking bolt or too much powder! The split locking bolt has to slide under the standing breech of the action to lock it up. I have had several break on my Enores and Contenders. They do not like being shot off a Leadsled with much weight on it.
Also if there is oil on the locking bolt face and under the standing breech they can open up. They can also open from an excessive load in a larger cartridge.