PDA

View Full Version : !!!9x19mmR 9mm Federal Rimmed reinvented. Question: Will it damage an 357 mag gun?

AJG
08-07-2016, 02:05 PM
!!!9x19mmR 9mm Federal Rimmed reinvented. Question: Will it damage an 357 mag gun?
Hi ya all,

I just reproduced the 9mm Federal Rimmed for my Heritage Rough Rider 357 mag 5.5" SAA blued Revolver.

I live in Southamerica and scavenge shotshells for reloading (no powder, nor molds allowed). 9mm Luger works very well just 38spl/357 mag I could not get to enough Penetration with the same 9mm 4 grain type Titegroup (shotshell) powder Charge.

Since powder is rare I have to use the most efficient case, caliber and cartridge and till now that seems to me the 9mm Luger (good Penetration and Little powder) in a short case (case is almost full of powder and bullet sits right above the powder so no empty airspace).

So I fugured the empty airspace in the 357 mag is the Problem and cut the 357 mag case down to 19mm lengt. Deburred and chamfered it with a knife and loaded it up with 4 grain type Titegroup and 115 FMJ 9mm bullet. Now it performs better than a 9mm Luger since it has more Penetration.

My question is: Will it damage the Revolver in Long term use? It is an 9mm Federal Rimmed replica [homemade] caliber shot in 357 mag SAA Revolver. Will the pressures be about 35000 psi or below?
[it recoils quiet a bit less than an full power factory Winchester 110 grain White box 357 mag round].

Earlwb
08-07-2016, 08:07 PM
No it is not a problem. The only thing is accuracy could suffer some. The 9x19mm cartridge uses a .355 inch diameter bullet whereas the .357 magnum or .38 special uses a .357 inch diameter bullet. So the smaller diameter bullet may not engage the rifling as good as the larger size bullets. But the short cartridge means the bullet has to travel farther down the cylinder bore and forcing cone to reach the rifling, so the bullet can be off a little bit when it hits the rifling thus accuracy could be a little worse. But it may not be enough of a problem to worry about.

Now then as to long term usage. It won't be a problem. The gun may even shoot thousands of rounds more using the short cartridges. Most of the .357 magnum guns are not intended to shoot lots of magnum rounds as it wears them out faster. So the manufacturers state not to shoot a steady diet of magnum ammunition through them. Thus your 9mm rimmed loads are fine.

Thumbcocker
08-07-2016, 09:10 PM
Just clean the cylinder well and you will be fine.

imashooter2
08-07-2016, 09:16 PM
Lots of USPSA and ICORE competitors here in the US hot rod .38 Colt brass in their .357 Magnum revolvers. You should have no issues with reasonable loads.

victorfox
08-08-2016, 11:08 PM
Here in Brazil too a lot of shooters transfer their regular 38SPL carbines to the Army license "map" (sort of a booklet where your restricted, hunting or collectible firearms are filed within the Army) then get a reloading permit and load their 38s to almost 357 levels.

Last one I saw was getting 1800fps with 180gr bullets from his 20" Puma carbine.

AJG
08-09-2016, 12:52 PM
victorfox,

very interesting.
Here I would not risk myself Register as reloader since croocked Police is showing up frecuently to ask for bribes "unless they find something". We allways here in Southamerica have to Register (registro unico de armas) any Kind of weapons.

Reloading we just are doing. No matter if it is supposed to be allowed or not. If reloading Equipment can be brought legally why reloading should be forbidden? That is however my reasoning.
I would not Register further as to Register weapons since that is for sure asking for constant Trouble.

If molds can not be broughtI have to swage my bullets and knurle them for greasing (avoid leading). Which swaging equipment do you recommend for 9mm and 38 short Colt? Most esconomical.

victorfox
08-09-2016, 07:24 PM
well we have some idiotic idiosyncrasies in brazil. to reload anything but shotshells and buy the tools and components you must be a registered shooter/hunter/collector with the army. I never tried because my agent showed me the cost and waiting time, plus I have to show my house and equipment to the officer every time he decides to show up in my house. So I didn't bite the bullet yet, but probably will since I want to bunt boar and get csught with a gun in the car or with bunted meat without the paperwork gives me a season in jail and goodbye to my job. Not worth...

I wanted to have a bottle-neck ctg caliber like 30-30 or 308, but then I'd need the permit plus some waiting after I get the license. Too much bureaucracy...

For now, I handload my shells for practice and self defense and going to the range is quite the adventure since we are not allowed to take our guns out of home... :lol:

AJG
08-09-2016, 08:06 PM
It seems wher I am located we have it a Little bit easier. Since we can even Import primers from the US. I ordered 10000 of them and another 6000 I have reserved with my local gun shop once they get their shipment. All small pistol primers.

Today I saw a nice press at local shop and think I can modify it for swaging bullets.

victorfox
08-09-2016, 08:14 PM
I think so... We can have some things but not the others. Back in the 1990s was easier to get the stuff you need. My uncle had everything. Too bad he sold his wares before I got notice, else I'd convince my father to buy... He had the press, dies, a pretty well made vintage taurus revolver a taurus 32acp pistol that was a jewel, little pretty and accurate, a 12ga single shot... But I was just a kid back then...

Got my PM on the macumba stores?

AJG
08-09-2016, 08:31 PM
What does mean PM and macumba stores?

AJG
08-09-2016, 09:07 PM
So Macumba are some sort of witchcraft stores for natural religions and spiritual witchcraft. No we have no Macumba stores here. Brazilian Export product here are the "Churrasquerias". They are sinfull expensive so I already in about 5 years now never entered in one.

Here Maximum Mucumba and witchcraft are practising the catholics (with all their Saints). But they are not using black powder for that.

victorfox
08-09-2016, 11:23 PM
Oh I see... I just wanted to check other options... :lol: In any case they make certain rituals using black powder.

joatmon
08-10-2016, 10:32 PM
AJG Can you make your own or buy black powder there?
Aaron

AJG
08-11-2016, 01:28 PM
No I can not buy black powder. I am not sure if I am allowed to make it on my own.
But over here nobody cares that much about laws. The only Thing you get to know if something is supposed to be illegal is when customs does not let it come from other countries. In that case you can just assume it was supposed to be illegal although that depends much on the Boss on each governement agency if something is "allowed" or not.

I have tried to make black powder but it did not work. The joke is all black powder ingredients are commercially readily availlable. KNO3 as fertilizer in 15 Kg bags as many as you wish, carbon in 10 Kg bags for making Barbecue (asado) and Sulfur as well as an nutritional ingredient for cattle production. How pure those are who knows.
I never got the sufficient quick burn from my own blackpowder (burned too slow).

AJG
08-11-2016, 02:28 PM
!!!Update on 9mm Federal Rimmed or 38 Short Colt +P+ Performance!!!

I shot today again an comparison Group and These are the results:
4.3 grains type Unique powder with 9mm FMJ 115 grain bullet both 38 Short Colt +P+ (own reload and case creation) and 9mm Luger reloads.

Heritage (Pietta) Rough Rider 357 Magnum 5.5" revolver
38 Short Colt +P+/9mm Federal Rimmed
Penetration (25 meters): about 0.8" red hardwood sheet (almost got through).
Grouping (25 meters): about 3.75".

S&W SD9VE 4" Barrel pistol
9mm Luger (my reloads. Same bullet, powder and Charge as 38 Short Colt +P+)
Penetration (25 meters): max about 0.5" red hardwood sheet.
Grouping 925 meters): about 1".

The 38 short Colt +P+ seems to have more Penetration out of than 5.5" Barrel than an regular 9mm Luger out of an pistol 4" Barrel.