PDA

View Full Version : Belding & Mull a Little Help Please: B&M Owners Please help

far50shooter
05-27-2008, 01:53 AM
Hello New Member here. I just got a Belding & Mull Powder measure and need some help. I have read all over that this is the most accurate measure of all time. So I got one. I also ordered the 1lb brass tube to increase the capacity.

I am looking for a set of complete instructions. If someone would scan them or sell me a set of them It would be greatly appreciated. Second I only have one drop tube the small one with micro meter on the bottom. I am trying to load 50 bmg with this. The max load will be 240 grains so a drop tube that could hold 120 would be great as I could throw 2 times, unless anyone thinks I could get one lone tube and throw 1 time (preferred).

I also reload 30.06, .270,7.62x39 so I need the magnum tube as well. If anyone could make me some drawings of what you already have or know someone that could make them or someone that has some drop tubes for sale. I would be the happiest man in the world.

Anyway I hope some of you B&M owners can help me finish my project and get up an loading with my new (old) B&M. Thanks in advance for any help you can give Tom

floodgate
05-27-2008, 01:29 PM
far50shooter:

PM me your address and I'll get a set of instructions off to you (don't trust the charge tables, though; they are 'way out of date - weigh your charges and log the settings). B & M made two sizes - standard and magnum - of drop tubes for these, and in two varieties: one just slidews and clamps at a particular setting against the index marks on the side flat; the other has a "micrometer" collar and a threaded stem for more precise adjustment*. These can be gotten from Buffalo Arms, along with a new "Super Magnum" tube, but I think you will still need to make two drops for the .50 BMG at 240 grs. They also have "repair kits" for measures with broken glass windows.

Montana Vintage Arms is also making a modern version of the B &M measure, but it is PRICEY (and worth it, by all reports): i THINK their tubes interchange OK with the standard ones, but have not tried them myself.

One minor problem is that the B & M tends to "wobble" side-to-side a bit when the operating lever is swung against its heavy spring; a contoured cutout in the shelf or stand will help here; and some users have substituted a lighter spring with good results.

These are excellent measures, and almost foolproof as regards bridging, short or excess charges.

floodgate

* The micrometer seading is a little confusing, as there are only 25 divisions on the collar for every full division on the stem.

carpetman
06-02-2008, 01:34 PM
far50shooter---Floodgate very well and accurately covered things. I have found the standard tube to be sufficient for 30-06 loads, so I didn't have need for the magnum tube. I had one but gave it to my nephew . He is currently on extended vacation in Iraq and thus not available to measure the capacity of the magnum tube. 240 grains of powder?? Wow--that's almost 5x 30-06. I really doubt even with magnum tube you'd get that much in 2 throws?? Maybe so. The B&M measure is pretty simple and fool proof. If the magnum tube is too small, you should be able to fashion a tube out of maybe copper tubing or something or the other of appropriate size and adjust the length to get proper charge with just one fill. At 240 grains, one grain off would only be .004 and getting within one grain should be no problem. As Floodgate said they do wobble and fitting them into an inletted slot and fastening a piece of metal along each sides helps. You'll see what we mean as soon as you use it. 240 grains---that makes my shoulder hurt and wallet cringe just thinking about it. Where are you located that they still have dinosaurs---they are extinct most places even here in Texas where everything is bigger.

phil218b
06-09-2008, 09:05 PM
I have a 4 inch tube and a 3 inch tube, the 4 inch holds 88 grains of 860 powder.
If that is a magnum tube it would take 3 drops per case. Or a 12 inch tube and 2 or 3 cycles of the measure.
Mine dumps 168 gr per cycle

montana_charlie
06-10-2008, 12:38 PM
I know this will sound like an off the wall idea, but read it to the end.

Let's say you could shape the mouth of a .50BMG case to shove it into the B&M measure...just like a charge tube designed for the unit.
A stroke of the lever would fill that case full.

Of course, that's too much powder, but what if you had a threaded rod screwed up through the primer pocket to take up room inside the case?

That is a bit like the 'micrometer' tubes sold for the B&M, but because of what you used for the body, it's big enough to get your full charge in one stroke.

Whaddayathink?

CM

carpetman
06-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Montana Charlie--- The altered cartridge case with an adjustable feature is the same principle as the B&M charging tube. The B&M is called split partition visible powder measure. The reason being is that when you operate it, the powder comes from a cavity in the bottom that has a window---thus visible. This cavity is seperated from the main cavity---so that as the weight in the hopper is being reduced by using powder or increased by adding powder---the weight on that cavity remains the same--thus split partititon--it is sealed off from the main hopper. If you have a large enough charge tube--you could empty that cavity and it's capacity would be the only limiting factor. I've never weighed the capacity of that cavity---never had need to.

Typecaster
06-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Tom—
I think you could determine the maximum charge the B&M could throw by filling the hopper just enough to fill the secondary (small) chamber. Dump that into the scale pan and you'll have the absolute maximum that the measure can throw—no matter how long your drop tube is.

Richard

wiljen
06-10-2008, 03:08 PM
You can cut 45-70 brass to the desired length to make tubes for the B&M measures. I do that and number them (etch) then keep notes.

montana_charlie
06-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Montana Charlie--- The altered cartridge case with an adjustable feature is the same principle as the B&M charging tube.
Yeah...I know. That's the reason I made the suggestion.
The difference is...the .50BMG case is large enough to hold the required charge without needing to throw twice.
CM

joeb33050
06-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Adjustable black powder measures 1/2 " dia work fine as B&M charge tubes. The ones with the inside thing that slides up and down and locks with a screw. Cheap and easy.
joe b.

mazo kid
07-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Tom, I really believe the limiting factor will be the powder chamber capacity. IIRC, my original B&M measure will only dispense ~80grains +/-. That will mean three throws of powder per case if yours is the same. I did make a measure tube once out of 1/2" thin wall brass tubing from the hardware/hobby store. This is a snug fit but will work easily. Emery

Earl Brasse
07-15-2008, 11:55 PM
I just picked up an old one with a brass hopper @ a gunshow with no measure. Thanks guys, now I can use it without having to go out & buy one, they are not a cheap part.

Big Dave
08-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Have an old Belding and Mull drop measure I got in a box of stuff several years ago, complete except for no tubes. Looks like the 45-70 case tip will solve that,many thanks. Big Dave:redneck:

Green Frog
08-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Before the Culver conversion and its clones (all used on the Lyman #55) and the currently popular Harrell measures, a popular bench rest strategy was a true micrometer drop tube for the B&M. The one a friend made for me used a Starrett micrometer head mounted to a brass tube and is more accurate than anything else I use. It's a little slow and awkward, especially if used on the shooting bench outdoors, but I use it to preload cases for lead bullet bench rest at ASSRA matches. :mrgreen:

Froggie

PatMarlin
08-30-2009, 11:00 AM
One minor problem is that the B & M tends to "wobble" side-to-side a bit when the operating lever is swung against its heavy spring; a contoured cutout in the shelf or stand will help here; and some users have substituted a lighter spring with good results.

I designed a base for the B&M that works with my docking mount, and ends the poor mounting design problems the great measure is plagued with.

As soon as I get caught up on all my other obligations and catch a breath, I will post pics. No more wobble, and you can keep the stock spring.

recycledelectrons
12-30-2010, 07:53 PM
http://anhaica.net/arms/B&M.htm

Kevin Rohrer
12-31-2010, 03:08 AM
If you do a search on Ebay, there is a guy there who will make you any length drop tube you want for less than MVA wants.

Trifocals
12-31-2010, 05:42 AM
I simply changed the spring in my B&M powder measure to a much lighter one. I purchased a spring assortment at a local hardware store and found exactly the spring I needed in the assortment. Now it works perfectly with no wobble. LOL

calaloo
12-31-2010, 08:12 AM
The best, easiest, and cheapest way to cure the mounting problem with the Belding and Mull measure is to buy some anti slip tape from the hardware. Peel-off sticky on one side gritty on the other. Piece of cake.

Kevin Rohrer
12-31-2010, 05:22 PM
I am willing to bet that someone, somewhere, makes an adapter that allows the B&M to attach to a regular powder measure stand that would eliminate the wobble, and bring it closer to the reloader.

Pressman
12-31-2010, 05:59 PM
I have some information on converting the handle to right hand operation. The conversion will eliminate the wobble.
Ken

Wayne Smith
01-03-2011, 01:58 PM
For those interested I just bought one off eBay new made - and e-mailed the seller about if he made it. He answered that he did and can make them in any size. The business is Harley's Hobbies - if you want his e-mail please PM me rather than me posting it here.

o6Patient
03-14-2011, 12:49 PM
My reloading stuff is boxed and I'm between houses at the moment ..so reloading equipment will have to languish for a few more months or so, but I don't know if it'll work ?? but I'm planning on my new bench to make a tongue, if you will, for a standard stand like the sturdy cast Lyman and with a 7/8 hole and use a 7/8x14 thrd bolt, out of 1/2 inch flat stock or plate. I think it should work fine for any clamp type mount.
The magnum drop would give about 80 grns or so but I think (as above) that the bottleneck would be in the secondary cavity..and if you use 3 throws you run the risk of multiplying normal error x3 negating the reason to use a B&M in the first place, of coarse it could work in one's favor ..but given Murphy's law.. . I think using a regular measure 2 throws of 120 may be just as good.

o6Patient
03-16-2011, 10:25 AM
(FYI)I ordered a drop tube from Harley of Harleys_Hobbies. Talked with him quite awhile on the phone: he seems very nice and is very accommodating. (Price $33.00 + shipping

HyeTex
01-31-2013, 12:13 AM
I ordered a new hopper from beldingandmulldotcom at the end of 2012. There's a phone number on their homepage. Maybe they can help.