PDA

View Full Version : Does the 327 Mag have any real advantage over the 32-20?

AbitNutz
08-07-2016, 11:27 AM
I have a NIB USFA Rodeo in 32-20...wow, is it a nice gun. I was so surprised at its quality...but I digress. It seems that most times that I have read something regarding the 327 Federal Magnum they always say that it is a modern 32-20. Is that really the case? Are there any 32-20 loads that duplicate the 327 mag without pushing the pressure limit? I know the 32-20 has a slightly greater case capacity but the the pressure limit is 16,000 and the 327 mag is 45,000. That's quite a difference.

Maybe it doesn't make a difference since I cast and shoot only lead bullets...

Scharfschuetze
08-07-2016, 01:12 PM
The 32/20 is often limited by the older firearms that it is chambered in so that's why you see those low pressure limits. My 32/20 S&W hand ejector is very accurate, but it just won't take the pressures that are generated by the 327 Federal. Your USFA revolver should be exempt the low pressure proviso though given its modern metallurgy and heavy chamber walls.

Case life should also be much better with the 327. The 32/20 case is awfully thin and often fails after only a few reloads. Star brass is a partial solution to this problem, but in the end, the 327 is a much more modern case designed with high pressures in mind.

The 327 should also be a bit faster to reload as carbide dies can be used. The older bottle neck 32/20 doesn't have that advantage, but I generally just neck size for it. Neck sizing also extends the life of the case a bit I think and at the lower pressure levels for the S&W, they continue to chamber just fine even after 4 or 5 loads.

Don't get disappointed though. The 32/20 is still a fine cartridge for plinking and small game. I shoot it often in both the aforementioned S&W as well as a Marlin 1894 carbine. In the carbine, I'm sure it will stay with the 327 and I just got a gas check 115 grain NOE mould specifically for the carbine to test out the upper end of the 32/20s performance.

As an aside, I've found the 115 grain cast boolits to shoot best in my 32/20s although there is a plethora of good 90 grain boolits out there.

dtknowles
08-07-2016, 02:20 PM
The 32-20 is a better black powder cartridge. Seriously though, it really depends on what you want to do.

Certainly .327 mag. factory ammo is more powerful than even the old 32-20 Hi-Velocity Rifle only ammo.

You can shoot .32 S&W and .32 S&W long and .32 H&R in the .327 mag. for added versatility for someone who shoots factory ammo, if you can find much of those less common cartridges.

For someone who loads their own, the .32-20 can do anything that all those others do depending on the strength of their firearm, at the risk of having ammo on the shelf that could blow up the wrong gun if a weak gun got high pressure ammo. I have a Dan Wesson 32-20 revolver on the .357 frame so I don't doubt that Magnum Pressure loads would be fine but I shoot loads in the .32 S&W long range with 90 grain bullets and with that ammo it is the most accurate centerfire repeating handgun I have ever fired shooting 1 inch groups at 25 yards. Mine actually is what I have seen called here a 30-20 as it has a .308 barrel. Would I hot rod it and up the pressure, maybe but I don't have a reason and if I wanted more power I have a .357 mag. cylinder and barrels.

I will accept others comments about case life as I have had no case failures but I don't have any cases with more than 5 load cycles on them.

Tim

rintinglen
08-07-2016, 03:24 PM
I have both and as I see it, the chief advantage of the 32-20 is that is is chambered in rifles AND revolvers.

A 327 lets you shoot virtually every other 32 cartridge, ranging from the 32 ACP up through the ancient 32 S&W, to the 32 S&W Long, through the 32 H&R and including the 327 itself. The 327 loads much quicker thanks to not having to lube the cases, and at least in my limited experience, in Ruger Firearms is more accurate.
I wish I could get a rifle for the 327 but such is not reasonably available.

leftiye
08-08-2016, 06:20 AM
The 32-20 becomes very destructive to small game beyond about 1600 fps. I guess unless you want to shoot deer or varmints there might not be any reason to load it up significantly. I know that you are concerned with a revolter, but the advantage of the 327 starts at this point. It should be compared with the .30 Carbine at 44,000 psi. The .32-20 can't really compete at this level (though some have juiced them up that much), but the point is that the .327 is already too much for small game and sits in the same niche that the .30 Carbine does as a round without a use. Need more? Get a bigger gun.

lolbell
08-08-2016, 06:27 PM
327 has more versatility than any other revolver I own. If you are handloader the fact that it's not a bottle necked cartridge is advantage enough for me. If you're not, you can use it for small game with 32SW shorts or Longs. Larger small game use 32HR Mag, the wife uses these for her every day carry too. For small deer sized game, full blown 327 with a 100 - 115 grain SP at about 1600fps has made a couple of one shot kills on 90 and 100 pound does. I hand load every thing in 327 cases and just load up or down, whatever the situation demands.

quilbilly
08-08-2016, 10:48 PM
I have a T/C Contender in the 32/20 and it is far and away my favorite caliber. My loads are not hot but at 1300 FPS with the Lee 113 gr. RNFP-GC it is death on coyotes out to 150 yards (if they will sit still long enough for my old eyes to focus). After doing terminal ballistics test several years back, I couldn't see an advantage to the newer 32's over the 32/20 with the above boolit. My tests showed it should be quite effective inside 75 yards on deer under 100# but these days I deer hunt with a muzzleloader these days so have never tried it.

runfiverun
08-08-2016, 11:52 PM
I'd just shoot your 32-20 as a 32-20 and not get too wrapped up about it.
if you need 327 performance down load your 357 magnum.

dtknowles
08-09-2016, 10:31 AM
I'd just shoot your 32-20 as a 32-20 and not get too wrapped up about it.
if you need 327 performance down load your 357 magnum.

If you are talking to me, I agree. Actually my 32-20 mostly shoots downloaded rounds, my .357 Mag shoots mostly stuff in the 38 spcl. Plus P range but my .357 Max shoot full house mid heavy bullets. I do keep a couple boxes of hot .357 mag. loads with 125 grain JHP's around but rarely shoot them, the only thing they are really good for is shooting people :-)

Walkingwolf
08-09-2016, 10:47 AM
Have both a 32-20, and a 32 HRM, both are loaded with moderate loads. Both are great SD, and small game cartridges with proper bullet placement. Not really interested in the 327, too loud for self defense in a building or room. About the same as a flash bang going off, NO thank you.

Enjoy your 32-20, and don't concern yourself comparing it to the 327.

runfiverun
08-09-2016, 11:59 AM
heck Tim I'm not so convinced about the 125's on people.
I tried a couple of the old green/yellow boxed stuff on a few steers and that mostly lead to more shooting unless it was placed directly between the ears.

I am somewhat jealous of the O.P's usfa revolver though, I have a pair in 45 colt and have put some miles on them.
one in 32-20 would be a pretty good bum around bunny revolver, that would suffice to put down a deer in a pinch..

dtknowles
08-09-2016, 12:24 PM
heck Tim I'm not so convinced about the 125's on people.
I tried a couple of the old green/yellow boxed stuff on a few steers and that mostly lead to more shooting unless it was placed directly between the ears.

I am somewhat jealous of the O.P's usfa revolver though, I have a pair in 45 colt and have put some miles on them.
one in 32-20 would be a pretty good bum around bunny revolver, that would suffice to put down a deer in a pinch..

Weren't those steers a bit tougher than a person. .357 mag hollow point penetration is not supposed to be excessive. Oh and the old bullets are not as good as the new stuff. I don't do terminal ballistics testing so I am just going on reputation, still think that it is the best self defense ammo for my revolver. I expect it is better than the 9mm I am more likely to be carrying.

Not a fan of loading gate and shell poker actions but I like 32-20.

Tim