PDA

View Full Version : Mountain molds

historicfirearms
08-07-2016, 08:54 AM
I stumbled on the Mountain Molds website yesterday. He has a great online boolit design tool on there, it's great for a guy that has to have things his way. You can specify just about everything you would ever want and his current lead time is only 3-4 weeks. I could see myself spending hours there designing my own boolits. Has anyone ordered from him and how is the quality of his product?

JSnover
08-07-2016, 09:02 AM
About 5 years ago I designed and ordered a 2 cavity mold. It turned out perfect and I believe the turnaround time was less than two weeks.
If they run that operation the same now as they did then you won't be disappointed.

762sultan
08-07-2016, 09:37 AM
I have recently ordered a mold from Mountain Molds. It was made to my specs and I had total control of it's design. It makes a beautiful bullet and it's a beautiful mold. The wait time from order to my mailbox was about 2 weeks. The mold I ordered was not a mold that would move quickly on a group buy, so if I wanted it anytime soon this was a quick way to get it. I will not hesitate to order another mold if I feel the need for instant gratification. MM are top quality molds and I'm very happy with mine.

Ballistics in Scotland
08-07-2016, 10:18 AM
I had him make a .376 mould for me long ago, and was most impressed with the finished work, and with his design utility. I could play with that for hours if there were no mould at the end of it. His process does have some limitations as described in his FAQ, the only one which matters much to me being a minimum meplat of around .2in. He does plan to introduce a limited range of round nose moulds this year. The waiting time currently displayed on his website is 3-4 weeks, which would have us falling down at the feet of a custom gunsmith.

This picture is a rather sad memento. It is a .577/.450 Martini-Henry bullet which I designed for Julian Deangeli, Rule303 on various forums, but I don't know if he bought it before he died in a diving accident, on a German U-352 wreck off the Carolina coast.

GWM
08-08-2016, 07:17 AM
The molds are second to none in quality and design. My favorite .44 mold is one that I designed in his online program. I really like the sprueplate trough but it seems he is moving away from that feature. The sprueplate in itself is the best designed of the lot I think, and thicker than the other makers.

white eagle
08-08-2016, 11:10 AM
Dan makes a very good mold
his products are first rate and I have personally
had many of his molds made

GLynn41
08-08-2016, 12:20 PM
Amen to what has been stated-- MM is a good place and his products are first class

Electric88
08-08-2016, 12:30 PM
Does he happen to do hollowpoint molds?

white eagle
08-08-2016, 01:26 PM
I do not believe he does
but you can design one and send it out to be hp'd
by one of the fine vendors

GLynn41
08-12-2016, 07:12 PM
NOE --has them in stock as might MIhec molds-- look at the venders forum

Elkins45
08-14-2016, 06:55 PM
I have two of his molds, one in aluminum and one in brass. The quality is fantastic, easily as good as the NOE and MP molds I have. Turnaround was a couple of weeks at the longest. And he's actually a few bucks cheaper than Accurate, so you don't even pay a cost penalty.

geezer56
09-22-2016, 04:30 AM
I have a 35 cal 3 cavity bass mold from the group buy Blammer ran a few years ago. About 280 gr and looks like the 311440 lyman 30 cal mold. Lights out in a single shot. Feeds like a brick in a bolt gun. Smacks pigs like a hammer though.

yondering
09-23-2016, 02:12 AM
I really like Mountain Molds too, and have spent hours playing with bullet designs on the website.

I will say the outside of their molds, at least a few years ago, wasn't at the jewelry level perfection that we expect from Mihec and NOE, but that doesn't matter, and the cavities inside were perfect to my specs, as best I could tell. I will definitely order from Dan again. Probably will go for aluminum next time as I'm loosing my taste for brass molds.

Ballistics in Scotland
09-23-2016, 04:10 AM
I really like Mountain Molds too, and have spent hours playing with bullet designs on the website.

As you can, and it isn't stealing any of his electrons.

He currently indicates a production time of four weeks on his website, and I have never heard that he takes longer than promised. His website currently carries a note that he plans to introduce some spitzer target bullets sometime in 2016, and here we are in late September. It may happen, and I am sure he will do it right if it does. But they will be a few standard designs, and I think for your own designs on the website utility, that large meplat will stay with us. I can't see any other snags, not even price now.

GWM
09-23-2016, 07:16 AM
I like iron but he doesn't do that any more. Anyways his alu is great. I am hoping for some spitzers too...