PDA

View Full Version : Rock Island

randyrat
08-07-2016, 08:54 AM
Pick up a new Rocky a while back $500, I think about as cheap as you can get with a 1911.
I see they saved a few bucks by using a plastic Main spring housing (does save some weight), comes with one mag and plain Jane sights, tore it down completely and cleaned and buffed out the internals (was not that bad from factory).
I replaced the sights with an adjustable rear and fiber optics front post.
Other than that I can't find anything else to complain about yet.

Shot at least a thousand rounds through it with my cast reloads and it is shooting better than I can. In fact, I plan on using it for our competition.

Bought a Aim Point Grip weaver mount for it and yesterday found out the CHEAP A## BSA red dot is not going to work, adjustment after adjustment, 2 clicks to the left and it shot farther left, 2 clicks to the right and it shot farther left. 50 rounds later I realized the scope is junk.

So I'm going with open sights until I can find a reasonable low profile new red dot. Here is what I've been looking at.
Redfield Accelerator 6MOA (i don't mind 6 MOA for a pistol)
or
Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 Red Dot sight ( I like the circle and 2-3 MOA dot, the circle is nice, it makes the small dot stand out for speed )

No hurry to do this because I'm going to practice with open sights, but I know there are some fellows or gals out there that can point me in the right direction, maybe some better choices.

Distances we shoot are 21'- 30'- and 75' 50 rds total.

toallmy
08-07-2016, 09:08 AM
I remember reading about your purchase a while back , but forgot witch one you picked up . Good to hear it's shooting good for you . Nice to keep hearing good results with the affordable rock island .

earplug
08-07-2016, 09:27 AM
Bulls eye shooters use Ultra Dots. I have three. What type of game are you shooting?

randyrat
08-07-2016, 11:30 AM
Just Bulls eye, slow fire, timed and rapid fire (10 rds in 10 seconds) competition, its a hoot and great way to keep your skills honed. It forces one to be consistent with grip, trigger control, shoot under pressure.

ole 5 hole group
08-07-2016, 12:43 PM
10 rounds in 10 seconds is pretty fast if your intention is to put all bullets in or close to the X-ring. I think you meant 5 rounds in 10 seconds - right?

Some are going with a milled slide and either the DeltaPoint, J-Point or RMR red dots. Just add a BUIS (back-up iron sight) for when you don't want to use the red dot.

randyrat
08-07-2016, 01:23 PM
It is 10 rounds in 10 seconds at 21'. You have to be on your game to get all the shots off..The first round has to be at the bell and that gains you a bit more for the remaining rounds

ole 5 hole group
08-07-2016, 02:50 PM
OK - at 7 yards that is very doable to clean. In normal NRA bullseye or 2700, rapid (ragged) fire is 5 rounds in 10 seconds at 25 yards and you better clean the target and get some X's. We always said you win the match at 50 yards but you can lose the match at 25 yards, as if you are leading by 1 point after the 50 yard stage and drop a point at 25 - that #2 guy will probably wipe up on ya in X's.;)

randyrat
08-07-2016, 11:00 PM
I get a kick out of the 45, it is one big ragged hole, all in the 10 ring if your doing your job. Some days I never should have showed up, but that is the difference between a pro/great shooter and me.

Today I attempted to put a curved steel main spring housing from a Springfield 1911 on my Rocky and found out it won't work. The Hammer Strut must be longer on a Springfield than the Rocky. The Springfield housing I had has a hole all the way through to the pin that holds the spring housing on the gun. Ahhh another way to save a couple bucks, shorter hammer strut = less steel.