PDA

View Full Version : Black Horn 209 /Alliant Muzzle Loader Black comparison

Edward
08-06-2016, 11:12 AM
Anyone try Alliant muzzle loader black ,how does it compare to Blackhorn 209 ? Just bought another 10 oz jar of 209 @ $40.00 per and said this is not affordable if you shoot often and (I do)so my dealer said he would get me some muzzle lder black to try but had no clue as to comparison other than it cost $23.00 per LB instead of $40 PER 10 OUNCE ! Any comments ? Thanks Ed

johnson1942
08-06-2016, 11:18 AM
nothing shoots better than 209 powder. the 10 oz i believe in bulk is about the same as a pound of real black. i need to correct my self, real black shoots as good, but nothing else. if cost is the worry, go real black and wipe between shots. both are great powders.

koehlerrk
08-06-2016, 11:27 AM
Haven't bought a sub since I tried Pyrodex. Dumped that **** in a campfire and swore I would only use Ye Holy Black from then on. Went in on a group buy with other fellers, we split a 25lb order from PowderInc last year. Paid about $13 per pound delivered.

Zero complaints.

NSB
08-06-2016, 01:46 PM
Haven't bought a sub since I tried Pyrodex. Dumped that **** in a campfire and swore I would only use Ye Holy Black from then on. Went in on a group buy with other fellers, we split a 25lb order from PowderInc last year. Paid about $13 per pound delivered.

Zero complaints.
Pyrodex is garbage. Blackhorn209 is really good stuff. I've used a lot of black over the years and a lot of 209. Unless you're shooting in matches where black is required, the Blackhorn209 is the way to go. Black shoots good, it's just more trouble than it's worth.

tja6435
08-06-2016, 02:15 PM
I can get Alliant MZ for $9.99/lb around here. If you're in the front range of CO, pm me and I'll let you know where you can get it at this price.

MarkP
08-06-2016, 02:49 PM
I have never tried Blackhorn 209; but have used MZ; from my experience it lives up to the marketing claims. The only fouling I got was near the muzzle about 2-3" in. I was shooting it in a #11 fired inline with sabots in temps down to 8 F.

swamp
08-06-2016, 06:33 PM
tja6435 PM inbound.
swamp

Lloyd Smale
08-07-2016, 05:57 AM
I'm a blackhorn convert too. Best powder ive found of any kind in an inline.

Squeeze
08-07-2016, 06:54 AM
Blackhorn Is very consistent in every way, and no fouling issues. and is among the most expensive. Alliant black has low fouling, but pretty inconsistent on almost every level, but its cheap. you have to weigh your priorities. Are you looking for cheap range fun, Competition level accuracy, Hunting reliability, etc. I shoot quite a few pounds of powder a year, and lately its pretty much migrated to either real black, or blackhorn 209. Come to think of it, real black mainly only gets used in the guns that wont reliably ignite Blackhorn. I buy it in the 5# jug and usually make one bulk powder and primer purchase every year or 2 to defer hazmat costs

koehlerrk
08-07-2016, 08:48 AM
Pyrodex is garbage. Blackhorn209 is really good stuff. I've used a lot of black over the years and a lot of 209. Unless you're shooting in matches where black is required, the Blackhorn209 is the way to go. Black shoots good, it's just more trouble than it's worth.

From what you and a couple others have said, imay have to buy a bottle and try it. And a bottle of MZ as well. Biggest advantage those have for me is local availability.

In NY we are allowed to possess real black powder, but you can't buy it here. One of the guys in the group buy lives in PA so he got it shipped to his house. Perfectly legal, but its become a lot more of a runaround after 9/11. As it sits I have enough food for a couple years in my front stuffers, but who knows what the next election will bring. I like options, guess I'll have to check these out. Thanks everyone!

Side note, NSB, PM inbound.

rsrocket1
08-22-2016, 12:21 AM
I love BH209, but for just fooling around at the range, I use BlackMZ because I got a bunch at $9.99/lb. Here's a video I shot showing the smoke comparison. BH209 is about as close to smokeless powder as you can get. BlackMZ is dirtier but not a problem if you use a dry patch between shots. It meters terribly but with the right technique, you can get consistent charges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFpqtvEFrhE

Whiterabbit
08-22-2016, 12:30 AM
Anyone try Alliant muzzle loader black ,how does it compare to Blackhorn 209 ? Just bought another 10 oz jar of 209 @ $40.00 per and said this is not affordable if you shoot often and (I do)so my dealer said he would get me some muzzle lder black to try but had no clue as to comparison other than it cost $23.00 per LB instead of $40 PER 10 OUNCE ! Any comments ? Thanks Ed

nothing shoots better than BH209 except the REAL THING! if you can't get the real thing, doesn't matter if you shoot APP or 777 if you can't affrd 209 (and who can for lots of shooting at $40 10 oz?)

Whiterabbit
08-22-2016, 12:33 AM

Zero complaints.

I'm with you. I tried APP and dumped it. Refuse to buy pyrodex or 777. BH209 is another animal. if you have an inline or seriously hot caplock, try it. You won't be a convert but you'll keep 10-20 ounces around for specific purposes. Very neat stuff.

FrontierMuzzleloading
08-22-2016, 12:56 AM
Jim Shockeys Gold @75 yards off of shooting sticks. I think shes ready!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2yIaVpaApQ

NSB
08-22-2016, 09:07 AM
I had a pound of Jim Shockey's Gold and gave most of it away. The "granuals" if you can call them that, ranged in size from dust to marbles. It was so big it wouldn't pour through my powder measure. It was the absolute worst garbage I'd ever tried. I'm glad someone likes it, it's supposed to be clean but I don't see how it can be uniform with no similarity in granual size? It might work if you used a Lee powder dipper to get it out and into the gun.

FrontierMuzzleloading
08-22-2016, 12:33 PM
I use a bowl with a small dipper as you said, Along with a powder horn. I don't use anything other than that with all powders.

bubba.50
08-22-2016, 01:46 PM
I had a pound of Jim Shockey's Gold and gave most of it away. The "granuals" if you can call them that, ranged in size from dust to marbles. It was so big it wouldn't pour through my powder measure. It was the absolute worst garbage I'd ever tried. I'm glad someone likes it, it's supposed to be clean but I don't see how it can be uniform with no similarity in granual size? It might work if you used a Lee powder dipper to get it out and into the gun.

same here. like tryin' to load the gun with Kitty-Litter. pain in the butt even for 45-70 loadin'.

Whiterabbit
08-22-2016, 02:09 PM
hey guys

I want to put one of these on a horn:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/190937599422-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

But the ones from track are no good because of the issues you all cite: the hole is too small, powder hangs up on the plunger.

Do you guys know a source of a plunger with a large ID? allows for free-flow?

johnson1942
08-22-2016, 02:46 PM
would mixing some graphite powder with shockys gold and breaking up the clumps work? some shooters just want to shoot the same powder so i would recommend, again, graphite powder mixed in and breaking up the clumps by hand. i was told this by a powder company rep for another powder that flowed poorly.

Hamish
08-22-2016, 03:03 PM
The price of Blackhorn 209 is outrageous, but until they make something that outperforms it all the way around, I will pay it,,,,,,,,.

FrontierMuzzleloading
08-22-2016, 04:29 PM
Johnson, why go through all that trouble? Get a little plastic bowl, pour some powder in there, use a 3.4cc lee dipper, fill your powder measure and then start filling up your pre measured powder charge tubes. Its a better way as I always ran out of powder using those powder flasks. Now my powder horn itself actually holds a little over 1/2lb of powder.

johnson1942
08-22-2016, 11:50 PM
it was suggested only because some want to stay with harder to use powders. i use blackhorn 209 powder and thats all.