PDA

View Full Version : Big Game Tree stand problem

Maineboy
08-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Several years ago, I received a Big Game tree stand as a birthday present. Somewhere along the way I lost some parts and want replacements. After finding the company's web site I checked for availability of parts. They were listed but "out of stock" This is my email to them:

I have one of your ladder stands that was purchased a few years back that has a model number 3810-S which appears to be very similar to model CR3811-S. I need some replacement parts, specifically the support bar ladder piece and the support bar tree piece. Both parts appear to be out of stock. Will they be in stock soon, if ever?
Thanks,

Their reply:

Thank you for contacting us in regards to purchasing replacement parts. Mainstream Holdings is unable to provide replacements for worn, damaged, lost or missing parts. Because Mainstream Holdings cannot ensure the overall condition of its products consumers are seeking replacement parts for or that replacement repairs will be done correctly, Mainstream Holdsings doesn’t offer replacement parts. Your continued safety is our primary concern at Mainstream Holdings. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you,
Jenica Beck

A big bunch of B.S. If you are looking for a tree stand, you might want to avoid this brand.

s mac
08-06-2016, 09:07 AM
I don't know for sure but a real possibility may be lawyer and regulation involvement in their decision not to offer parts.

08-06-2016, 09:11 AM
Not familiar with that tree stand, but find somebody handy and I bet they can bubbaize it to a degree safer than the original. I'd never send that company another dime.

runfiverun
08-06-2016, 09:49 AM
I have no idea what any of those parts are or would be used for.
but I'd bet you could Fab something up as good as or better than their stuff.

rondog
08-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Yeah, make the parts yourself or have a welder do it. It's a liability thing. They can't control how somebody fixes their product with replacement parts, and if that repaired product fails and somebody gets hurt, they're facing an expensive lawsuit that they'd probably lose. They probably wouldn't even repair it if you sent it to them, they'd rather sell you a new, improved model. Companies have teams of lawyers making rules to protect them. You're fighting a battle you can't win. Fix it thy own self and move on.

And according to the Laws of Murphy, once you fix it, the missing parts will reappear!

Ballistics in Scotland
08-06-2016, 10:45 AM
A company with a name like "Holdings" may well be importing their products, and except perhaps for an initial parts kit they may never again see a part that doesn't have a tree stand attached. Companies are often coy about such things.

They often don't allow for, or even know, that some parts will fail much more often than others. It is a situation well known to people who buy parts cars, parts guns or parts cameras described as "Spares or Repair" on eBay. Often they get a collection of the things that never fail, and that is what Mainstream Holdings may have.

richhodg66
08-06-2016, 10:49 AM
If the parts are what I'm picturing from your description, they should be easy enough for a guy who welds to make. Seems just about every ladder stand is made of one inch square tubing, pretty standard.

The price of portable tree stands has come way down in the past 20 years or so. Might be best off just buying another similar one. The chain on ones that you need to screw in tree steps are the type I use the most, they're harder to set up, but easier to pack in and less visible from the ground. I know guys who pack in a ladder stand every hunt and back out, I just can't imagine doing it.

Omega
08-06-2016, 10:52 AM
BS, liability? It's a replacement part, by this a user can infer that the company would rather you use a known defective stand instead of repairing it.

Maineboy
08-06-2016, 11:22 AM
The parts I need stabilize the ladder to the tree about half-way up. One bar slides inside the other, then it is set with a pin to get an ideal fit. I suppose I will be fabricating something if the missing pieces don't turn up soon. Deer season is only 3 months away!

s mac
08-06-2016, 11:30 AM
Looks like to me 2 or 3 rungs of aluminum extension ladder would fit nicely, I know I have 1 that I cut up after part of it failed.

6pt-sika
08-06-2016, 11:51 AM
Liability my a...s...s they just wanna get you on the hook for another complete stand . A stabilizer bar is easy enough to make .

dragon813gt
08-06-2016, 11:57 AM
The parts I need stabilize the ladder to the tree about half-way up. One bar slides inside the other, then it is set with a pin to get an ideal fit. I suppose I will be fabricating something if the missing pieces don't turn up soon. Deer season is only 3 months away!

I feel your pain because I've had the same part stolen off two of my stands. I don't weigh much and have used them w/ out it. Ladder makes a lot of noise so I just get there earlier. You can easily fab up a replacement piece out of a bunch of different materials.

I leave mine up year round. This brand doesn't last very long. But it's not surprising given the cost an where they are made. Each one has given me more issues to put together as well. They are pretty much a disposable stand.

Fishman
08-06-2016, 12:39 PM
That is unfortunate but you should be able to make a suitable part. Perhaps just tension it with a ratchet strap?

By way of comparison, I damaged the lower platform on a Summit brand climber about 4 years ago. I called and indicated it was probably my fault as I was climbing a very knobby tree. About 4 days later I had a replacement at my doorstep gratis, with the request that I send back the damaged one for analysis so they could improve their product. So on top of being the most comfortable climber out there (I regularly fall asleep in mine) their customer service is great.

richhodg66
08-06-2016, 01:00 PM
Trees that are straight enough for a climber are rare around here, but I've always wanted to try one. Seems like the yellow pine forests down south or birch forests up north would be perfect for climbers.

dragon813gt
08-06-2016, 02:12 PM
Climbers are great when the weather is warm. When it's cold they suck. Last thing you want to do when it's cold is work up a sweat. And I've never been able to use a climber w/out sweating.

Thumbcocker
08-06-2016, 03:58 PM
Walk in and get up the tree in the climber wearing your base layer. Pull up your heavy coat on the pull rope with your weapon and lunch.

Fishman
08-06-2016, 10:11 PM
Walk in and get up the tree in the climber wearing your base layer. Pull up your heavy coat on the pull rope with your weapon and lunch.

Absolutely correct! Then settle down and watch the woods come to life. Not much better.

TCLouis
08-06-2016, 11:22 PM
I personally would NOT use a ladder tree stand without the mid-level support, but I would break out a tape measure and make one out of some 1" tubing in short order, even if not as adjustable as the original.

Thumbcocker
08-07-2016, 08:53 PM
Then settle down and watch the woods come to life

God's own thumbprint on the sky.