PDA

View Full Version : Chevy 4L60 transmission 1996 K1500

MaryB
08-06-2016, 01:09 AM
Any transmission experts here? I am looking at a second truck as backup for my rust bucket and found a fairly rust free 1996 K1500. High miles of course but it runs good except the transmission revs before changing to the next gear. 4L60 transmission and I guess they can be a nightmare to fix so looking for input...

gtgeorge
08-06-2016, 06:58 AM
Hi Mary, Hard to diagnose over the net but even if the transmission is in need of repair it is an easy overhaul for a true transmission rebuilder. A 1996 is actually a 4L60E which is the electronic version. No longer a seat of the pants diagnostic since it is completely electronic controlled the diagnostics start with an electronic diagnostics after fluid level and quality check. If you want I would be glad to discuss it with you via phone but not able to recommend anyone out your way since I have fell out of touch with the national groups I used to participate with.

w5pv
08-06-2016, 07:11 AM
Good luck with the tranny,I suspect after you get the electronics out of the way you will have a fixable tranny.Been years since I have worked on one.

osteodoc08
08-06-2016, 09:44 AM
One of the most common GM transmissions of the 90s and 00s. A rebuilt one could be had for relatively cheap if it does go. They have their weaknesses, but fairly reliable. Many rebuilders would replace the stock servos with corvette servos to enhance line pressures and increase reliability. If there is more than 150k miles on that tranny, I'd budget in a replacement soon.

Does it have manual 4wd or the electric shift on that model?

jcren
08-06-2016, 10:03 AM
Rock auto list several brands of remanufactured 4l60E for about $1500 all in. Not cheap, but not bad either. For what it is worth, any time I have had one start to lag either first thing in the morning or between shifts, I start by dumping a can of Berrymans chemtool in the COLD trans then driving a hundred miles or so before changing the fluid and filter. Usually just gummy/sticking valvebody

MaryB
08-06-2016, 11:06 PM
Yeah the electronics are the first suspect I found for that symptom online. Throttle position sensor came up a LOT! Still debating if I want another high mileage Chevy with a 305 in it... not my favorite motor...

Lloyd Smale
08-07-2016, 05:38 AM
if its slipping between gears its like in need of a rebuild. Usually worn clutches are the cause of that. Its not an overly complicated tranny and is so common its not a big deal to rebuild. You should be able to find a rebuilt tranny on ebay or localy for under a grand with exchange. Any auto tranny is a bit complicated for the average back yard mechanic to rebuild and will require some specialty tools. Best off going to the remanufactured route.

6bg6ga
08-07-2016, 07:08 AM
Mary, Lloyd has give the best advice so far in my opinion. If it slipping its rebuild time. I would opt for a remanufactured like Lloyd mentioned. Don't know your capabilities but maybe you could save some by calling in a favor and have someone drop out the bad tranny and bolt in the remanufactured one.

garym1a2
08-07-2016, 08:16 AM
I would check the shift solenoids first. I had a 2002 Trailblazer with this issue. At 138k miles it would rev high an not shift.First shop said I need a new tranny. Second shop just replaced solenoids, cost was $150. Second time it acted up was at 190K miles, I decided to fix it myself. You drop the pan and pull the filter. The two solenoids are on the bottom, just pull the packard connector and one screw to remove each solenoid. Also remove the plungers and you will see a lot of grey come outwith it. If the plunger sticks just press it a couple times and it should come out. Solenoid cost was only $22 each at Advance parts store. This is a good tranny, my truck had 233K miles on it when I replaced the truck and tranny was still good.

izzyjoe
08-07-2016, 08:47 AM
I would recommend looking at the shift solenoids, depend on what gear it is, but you may find a shop that will fix the problem, and not want do a full rebuild. You can also find a trans at a pick and pull yard, most time I've have good luck with that route.

MaryB
08-07-2016, 11:42 PM
With 226,000 miles on it I think I am going to pass. Sounds like a full rebuild would be in order then there are the oil leaks on the valve covers, unknown transfer case....

My F-150 mainly needs a new box so I may rip the old one off and build one from wood. I have the tools for that. Need to weld in 2 new cab mounts that are really rusted but the cab floor is still good. Only 141k on it so might go that route this fall or winter after I am done with canning. Custom cut parts and give it the same body contour and line the outside with thin oak plywood... could look semi decent! I mainly need something solid enough to haul corn in for heating the house.

Lloyd Smale
08-08-2016, 05:33 AM
I think a quick answer was asked for. The typical back yard mechanic isn't going to be able to tell and its kind of silly to throw a 150 bucks it if you know that wont fix it and at that many miles and your getting grey junk coming out your going to be back in it shortly anyway. At that many miles ive seen guys that went in and just changed there fluid on one running fine and had just that cause there trannys to start slipping. It might have worked for you but then again you could have just been lucky.
I would check the shift solenoids first. I had a 2002 Trailblazer with this issue. At 138k miles it would rev high an not shift.First shop said I need a new tranny. Second shop just replaced solenoids, cost was $150. Second time it acted up was at 190K miles, I decided to fix it myself. You drop the pan and pull the filter. The two solenoids are on the bottom, just pull the packard connector and one screw to remove each solenoid. Also remove the plungers and you will see a lot of grey come outwith it. If the plunger sticks just press it a couple times and it should come out. Solenoid cost was only $22 each at Advance parts store. This is a good tranny, my truck had 233K miles on it when I replaced the truck and tranny was still good.

6bg6ga
08-08-2016, 06:24 AM
Unfortunately some of the shade tree mechanics offer advice that it probably wouldn't be in your best interest to follow. Some of us here with real world experience have a good line on the problem and what its going to take to fix it. We don't candy coat things. Several of us have offered sound advice and I believe Lloyd was the first. The tranny needs rebuilt period. No magic filter change and new fluid is going to solve and neither is a $150 valve body and solenoid change especially when your seeing gray junk when you take it apart. Advance auto and other like it pray on the unknowing to sell anything and everything to the shade tree variety. As to the truck box......... check the junk yard for a decent box and you will probably find that they aren't too expensive. Also, check the local paper and penny savor type papers as well as craigs list. I've seen boxes go for around $200 or less which would be better and cheaper than a wood bed.

Lloyd Smale
08-08-2016, 06:59 AM
another thing ill add is in my years of experience if they mean anything, buying a high milege used vehicle that slips, clunks, raps ect even if its just a small amount is likely to be trouble. Chances are the owner already had it looked at and knows its to expensive for him to justify fixing or he would have fixed it already. I wouldn't even consider something that had over a 150k unless I personaly knew the owner and he was honest. Even then things can go south because he wasn't enough of a car guy to know somethings wrong. Id also be skeptical on this one especially because for one, and being a chev nut its hard for me to admit, those trannys aren't stout anyway. But then few half ton trucks have a tough auto anymore. Another thing would be the 305. not a bad motor but not a great one either. Mary if your ford runs good id consider checking out the local salvage yards and see if you can find a decent box. Unless you live in bad salt country like me it shouldn't be hard to find one. I had a flatbed on a pickup once and it was ok but not near as handy as a real box. Paint color might not match but who cares.

Lloyd Smale
08-08-2016, 07:00 AM
and there you have it from a REAL mechanic one that's built trannys for race cars even.
Unfortunately some of the shade tree mechanics offer advice that it probably wouldn't be in your best interest to follow. Some of us here with real world experience have a good line on the problem and what its going to take to fix it. We don't candy coat things. Several of us have offered sound advice and I believe Lloyd was the first. The tranny needs rebuilt period. No magic filter change and new fluid is going to solve and neither is a $150 valve body and solenoid change especially when your seeing gray junk when you take it apart. Advance auto and other like it pray on the unknowing to sell anything and everything to the shade tree variety. As to the truck box......... check the junk yard for a decent box and you will probably find that they aren't too expensive. Also, check the local paper and penny savor type papers as well as craigs list. I've seen boxes go for around $200 or less which would be better and cheaper than a wood bed.

MaryB
08-09-2016, 12:12 AM
I am in MN, roads turn white from salt in winter :-? I will have to call around to the junkyards and see if they have a box or can source one. If I go wood it won't be a flatbed. I would build something identical in size and shape to the metal box. Down to the curved outer skin that I could line with thin plywood skin. As it sits I need to make a wood liner before I haul corn this fall or it might push the back of the box apart, rotted off both back pillars at bed level where the tailgate closes. And last time I stepped in the bed I almost went through. Not good for dropping 1500 pounds of corn into!

Mk42gunner
08-09-2016, 01:13 AM
Mary,

I am not well practiced on repairing automatic transmissions, but I am familiar with transporting corn for heating my house. I do have a couple of suggestions.

1. If you want a spare vehicle, it needs to be dependable. The only time I drive my backup Ranger is when the roads are bad and I don't want to risk my good truck.

2. I burned corn for four or five years and pellets for another two when corn prices went way up. I hauled a pickup load of corn at a time for the first year, that got old real fast. The second year I bought an old auger cart ($150) that holds close to 100 bushels. I took the auger out and made a slide gate and removable top. It worked well enough that when I saw another one going for $50 the a year or two later, I bought it too.

Since I normally burned 175-200 bushels a year that meant I could get a whole winter's fuel in one afternoon (six miles to the elevator).

Robert

Frosty Boolit
08-09-2016, 07:58 PM
this is my experience with chvy transmissions, if they are slipping they are on thier way out the door. especially if it is on the 1st to 2nd shift

Plate plinker
08-09-2016, 10:20 PM
I like the old grain cart idea.

MaryB
08-09-2016, 11:06 PM
I had an old grain cart, the spot I need to get into to transfer to my storage bin needs 4wd and even that is iffy if it is wet... I can't do it with 2wd. I auger into my bin which is one of those cheap tin buildings that I put 2x4 and plywood walls up inside so no corn pressure on the paper thin steel. It will hold about 200 bushels which is more than enough to heat my house for a winter.

SierraHunter
08-09-2016, 11:21 PM
Any transmission experts here? I am looking at a second truck as backup for my rust bucket and found a fairly rust free 1996 K1500. High miles of course but it runs good except the transmission revs before changing to the next gear. 4L60 transmission and I guess they can be a nightmare to fix so looking for input...

4L60, or 4L60E? I have both. The 4L60 is at about 130,000 miles, and the 60E is just shy of 190,000. A filter and flush will work wonders on these trances. I prefer the 60E over the older version.

SierraHunter
08-09-2016, 11:23 PM
Yeah the electronics are the first suspect I found for that symptom online. Throttle position sensor came up a LOT! Still debating if I want another high mileage Chevy with a 305 in it... not my favorite motor...

I would skip it if it had a 305...

SierraHunter
08-09-2016, 11:30 PM
I would highly recommend against building a bed out of wood. Rattling down the road and it will fall apart in not much time at all. What year is your f150?

MaryB
08-10-2016, 12:02 AM
2001, and I put on less than 6k miles a year now so a wood bed would outlast the rest of the truck!

garym1a2
08-12-2016, 11:07 PM
I may or may not buy the chevy truck based on the deal. But on a truck with a 4l60e if I changed the fluid and filter I would remove the 1-2 and 2-3 solenoid and let the fluid drain out. Book labor rate is only 0.7hr for this job.
4L60, or 4L60E? I have both. The 4L60 is at about 130,000 miles, and the 60E is just shy of 190,000. A filter and flush will work wonders on these trances. I prefer the 60E over the older version.