PDA

View Full Version : Cimarron Low Wall in .32-20, any good?

Pureleadbarrel
05-26-2008, 08:02 PM
I'd really like to get a single-shot rifle in an older, smaller caliber that won't seem utterly ridiculous shooting black powder and cast bullets in. I want something that's economical to shoot, so a .45- whatever and even the .38-55 are out. I'm thinking around 200 grains of lead or less. Unless I go with a custom chambering, the .32-20 seems about right. I'd really like a .32-40 but nothing is available in my price range of around $1100 dollars or so. The gun that I'm looking at is a Cimarron Low Wall, straight grip, double-set trigger. So far, I've read mixed reviews on this gun in other chamberings, but nothing on the .32-20. Is this a good gun/combination, or should I spend my money on something else? What is the general consensus on the Cimarron Low Wall and .32-20 caliber, shooting black and smokeless powder and cast bullets?

Buckshot
05-27-2008, 02:41 AM
...............Don't know anything about the Uberti Lo-Walls. My Hi-Wall in 38-55 is in the body and fender shop with barrel issues. I'm not mad. Only ready to fly to Italy and burn the plant down :-) I would assume quality with the Lo-Walls would be as spotty as with the Hi-Walls.

Get a good one, lucky you. Get a bad one and join the group in the waiting room.

................Buckshot

Pureleadbarrel
05-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Yeah, I think I read about the problems that you had with your's. It had the horrible bore with "teeth" in the rifling, right? I was planning on getting one but after reading about the problems that some people are having I'd thought that I better ask around a bit about it first. Sounds like the same situation with a lot of Italian import stuff, hit or miss. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. At least it sounds like that you are getting yours taken care of. Good luck with it.

Bigjohn
05-27-2008, 08:36 PM
With making a selection of a rifle you would like to buy to suit your purposes; there is nothing like having it in your hands to make a thorough visual and psyhical inspection, if the vendor will let you.

A patch on a rod through the barrel would be helpful as well; that will tell you if there are any rough or tight spots.

Best of luck with your buy, I hope it is what you want,
John.

Pureleadbarrel
05-28-2008, 01:45 AM
Sound advice, but I'd have to order the gun, sight unseen. Good idea about running a patch down the barrel, though. I guess that if the shop proprietor had a problem with someone doing that in their shop then you probably wouldn't want to buy a gun from them anyway ( I can think of a few in my area who might not like it).