PDA

View Full Version : Recycling center score today

Budzilla 19
08-05-2016, 03:56 PM
While going to get my tractor's injection pump at the repair shop, I decided to stop at the recycling center in the small town I was in!! Well, lo and behold! When I asked the young lady in charge about the availability of lead at her facility, she said " let me check". I ended up with 135 lbs of lead from obviously some reloader's stash! 31 Ingots poured from a Lyman mold, hundreds of cast boolits of all calibers,lots of buckshot balls, and about a half of a five gallon bucket of shotgun shot! Sometimes it pays to just stop and ask! And when she said,$75.00, please, I immediately paid her.
Now to xrf the ingots and the balls, and we are set.
I will be busy now.

Mitch
08-05-2016, 04:55 PM
sounds like a great score.sometimes we get lucky if we do enough looking.

lightman
08-05-2016, 09:52 PM
Good Score. Looking and asking is the way you find these deals.

Vinne
08-05-2016, 11:52 PM
Like they always say...ask and you shall receive. Hay, what's the worse that could happen??

lightman
08-06-2016, 10:02 AM
He needed a good deal after getting his injection pump out of the shop. Ouch!

Budzilla 19
08-06-2016, 08:00 PM
Lightman, you got that right !! $1024!!! But, a NEW one was $2000+, so I figured 50% was ok! Cheaper than a new tractor for sure! Got it on the tractor today,boy does it run good. Now have to mow this jungle around here! And when I emptied that 5 gallon bucket of lead I bought, it had 2 steel plates in the bottom! So, i got took a little bit! It happens that way sometimes! Next time, they will dump that bucket to the bottom for sure! Be safe.

DerekP Houston
08-06-2016, 09:56 PM
See....i called around when I started and not a single scrap yard would talk to me. I just recently sold off a bunch of batteries to get recycled and lo and behold if I don't see a milk crate full of lead and more piled around it. The guys working the yard had no clue why I wanted it but told me to come back with a truck and haul it off. Guess you have to do business with em first around here to get that 'comfort level' so they will let you buy. I'm happy to trade scrap I'm trying to get rid of in the garage for more lead though :D.

PBaholic
08-09-2016, 10:16 AM
The guys working the yard had no clue why I wanted it but told me to come back with a truck and haul it off.

And be careful telling what you use it for. I always say I make fishing sinkers.

I had to play my hand at my local yard, as he started getting 55 gallon drums of brass from a shooting range. He put 2 and 2 together when I bought 5 gallon buckets of brass. He even let me sift through the brass to pick out the ones I wanted.....

Now when I go there, he keeps a stash of lead for me.

Budzilla 19
08-11-2016, 11:44 PM
Update: After removing a LOT of dirt, and actually washing the shot to get some dirt off, I ended up with 102# of lead. The two plates weighed 22#, so I did ok ! Just 10# of dirt and stuff! I'm going to treat it as range scrap till I get it xrf gunned ! Lots of pine sawdust for cleaning! And then some paraffin wax ! More info later! Keep scrounging,my casting brothers, it's out there! Good luck!