PDA

View Full Version : Authors who've touched you

Blackwater
08-04-2016, 09:30 PM
Christ admonished us to "study to show thyself approved," and I tried that for a lot of years, but always seemed to be looking in the wrong places. Maybe my insistence on my own understanding was the problem for so long? Could be. But early on, I found that simply reading the scriptures just didn't reveal all that I sensed was in them. What I needed, and still need for that matter, is good instruction from those who know more about the scriptures than I do, who can explain things to me in a way that makes sense and that I can understand. The amazing thing about understanding is that the more we DO understand, the more we CAN understand beyond what we already know. This has been a very precious boon to me! I may not know all I want to, but I know a LOT more than I once did, and that's real progress, and not to be minimized, especially in the effect it's had on me. And, of course, the more answers we get, the more we seek additional understanding. It's really addicting! As it says in the Bible, the more we learn of Christ and salvation, the more we thirst for additional understanding, and the more fully and appropriately we can pray and worship Him, as is proper to our standing before Him.

Good authors help with this, GREATLY. They've meant an awful lot to me. They have caused those light bulbs inside me to light up and shine through the darkness that was once there. It's been an awfully long haul for me, and I'm so humbled by the simple fact that it was so easy, once I found some good help and started reading it.

Those who've helped me greatly are C. S. Lewis, G. K. Chsterton and Hugh Ross, who've crystalized an awful lot of stuff for me, and made things clearer, more interlinked and understandable to my once too self-assured mind. Very humbling, but also kind'a funny, too, when I look back on how much I'd missed for so long, simply insisting on learning MY way instead of His.

These 3 would be my triumvirate that have been the chief authors that have helped me see the light. Many things that I once was at least a bit dubious of, simply because I didn't really understand them, are now very clear, and I now can't understand why I didn't see them previously! But that's the way it seems to often be with the scriptures, for many I've known, at least.

Once things start falling into place, it's like in a jigsaw puzzle when you get a good pattern going. That pattern makes it much easier for the rest of the puzzle to be completed. MUCH easier! And more complete and thorough, as well!

Who has helped you in your walk, to discover the "secrets" that you now prize in your own faith?

USMC87
08-05-2016, 08:31 AM
Charles Spurgeon, A.W Pink, B.B. Warfield, John Owen, Johnathan Edwards, Henry Mahan, Bill Parker, John Reisinger and many more.

Preacher Jim
08-06-2016, 11:22 AM
Henry Blackabe, Charles Swindoll, Warren Weirsbe, A. T. Robinson, Phillip Keller, Spurgeon, I could set here all day long listing because I do not center on any one but study many.

claude
08-06-2016, 02:19 PM
hâyâh 'ăsher hâyâh (I AM THAT I AM) Properly all Caps, has touched me the most, following HIM, E.W.Bullinger, E Raymond Capt, Dave MacPherson,....and perhaps Heinlein.

Blackwater
08-06-2016, 03:03 PM
Thanks, guys. I have a number of books that I've got to read yet, on several matters, but I'll be keeping these for future purchases. And Jim, I like your technique. For me, it seems to take several who interlink well for me to finally "get it." But even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then if he just keeps on rootin'! Truly, "Seek and ye shall find" is 100% true. It just doesn't always work on the schedule we want. But if it was easy, we probably wouldn't really appreciate or remember it. Only when we have to work for it does it seem to become important enough to us to actually work. Almost as if God realized that and made it the way it is, isn't it?

Preacher Jim
08-06-2016, 03:10 PM
Blackwater if the Holy Spirit leads you to the gems of wisdom you learn and grow in your wisdom and God's word. Paul told Timothy to study to show thy self approved and I take that quite serious. He did not tell us to only read those we agree with but to study the Bible. The Bible is it's best commentary.

UKShootist
08-06-2016, 03:56 PM
Robert Heinlein.