PDA

View Full Version : Safe Wall thickness at breach for a smoothbore ?

RU shooter
08-04-2016, 09:43 AM
A few years ago I bought a 24 ga. .580 ID LC smith barrel blank with intentions of making a little smoothbore flinter out of it . As it sits the breach end is 1.130 and tapers forward . I was wanting to have it milled/ ground on the top half octagon and leave the bottom half round. Would it be safe to turn it to 1.09 and make the flats 1" across ? I don't plan of heavy loads as its gonna be a rather light gun . Thoughts?

Tim

gnoahhh
08-04-2016, 10:59 AM
Probably, but I would proof test it afterwards before building a gun around it. I proof test stuff like that (home made ML miniature cannons mostly) with a double charge of powder and two balls. If it stands that, it'll stand anything. You may religiously stick with light loads but what about the next guy to own it?

RU shooter
08-05-2016, 01:55 PM
Thanks and I will indeed proof it . I do believe 1" across the flats will be safe I did some looking at other fowler/ trade gun barrels and their 20 ga . Barrels were that size at the breach .

bubba.50
08-05-2016, 02:36 PM
not exactly an answer to yer question but, I have a Renegade barrel that was bored to 62cal/20ga and it looks plenty thick enough to me.

bedbugbilly
08-05-2016, 06:19 PM
Not to steel the thread . . . but as long as RU shooter was asking a question I was wondering about as well . . .

Is there anyone out there making a smoothbore barrel . . like in 20 or 28 gauge . . . that would have enough breech material on it to thread to use as an interchangeable barrel on a H & A under hammer?

RU shooter . . . . what size breech plug threads are you going to use on that barrel? Since it's a blank, I'm assuming it's not chambered for a shell?

RU shooter
08-05-2016, 09:29 PM
Not to steel the thread . . . but as long as RU shooter was asking a question I was wondering about as well . . .

Is there anyone out there making a smoothbore barrel . . like in 20 or 28 gauge . . . that would have enough breech material on it to thread to use as an interchangeable barrel on a H & A under hammer?

RU shooter . . . . what size breech plug threads are you going to use on that barrel? Since it's a blank, I'm assuming it's not chambered for a shell?

was gonna tap it for 5/8 and yes it's straight .580 ID from muzzle to breach not chambered or choked got it from numrich gun parts couple years ago they had 20 ga at that time too .