PDA

View Full Version : Which color nail polish do you use

Half Dog
08-04-2016, 09:12 AM
I have a S&W 686 and I am having trouble seeing the front sight outdoors. Which color of nail polish or paint would work best to color the front sight, or anything else that works for you?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Poygan
08-04-2016, 09:17 AM
I use the Testor red on most of the front sights. Easily removed. Easier to see.

bangerjim
08-04-2016, 09:19 AM
Nail polish....no. Model enamel (in those little bottles)....yes!

Any bright color you can find.

jcren
08-04-2016, 09:30 AM
I painted a 1/16 wide white stripe down the middle of the front sight. Love it, fine point of aim in bright light, block sight if looking into glare.

WebMonkey
08-04-2016, 10:04 AM
White

Rick Hodges
08-04-2016, 10:44 AM
Bright red...I have used nail polish and red model paint. Either will have to be touched up regularly.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-04-2016, 11:06 AM
Hi viz orange enamel from the hobby shop.

contender1
08-04-2016, 11:18 AM
Many folks are color blind and or have problems with red or orange. Lime green is better in many cases. You can buy a color, try it, and if it doesn't work, clean it off & switch colors. Oh, I second the Testors model enamel paint too.

Omega
08-04-2016, 11:33 AM
Get this kit and change color at will:
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/sight-insert-kits/brightsights-gun-sight-coating-prod1480.aspx

Or you can go this route: https://www.amazon.com/GLOW-ORIGINAL-Super-Phosphorescent-Sights/dp/B004K56TS8

Blackwater
08-04-2016, 11:43 AM
I've tried every color I could and didn't leave out many, if any. My experience with MY eyes was that overall, in the woods, white almost always worked best, especially so if the light was dim or dimming. This is one of those things that folks just have to test for themselves. White will always be more visible in low light, but some can't see it as well, depending on what kind of background you're using the sights in. And the colors of the woods, DO vary from locale to locale, too, so .... I'd try several, and would recommend white, yellow, fl. chartreuse, orange (preferably fl.), and red. Some have even said they see a light blue best!

So now, you've got a good excuse to get out in the woods more! You can thank me later, and having a few bottles of varied colors of paint around is not a bad thing at all. Just be sure you seal the lids down tight when you put them away, and they'll last a long time.

metricmonkeywrench
08-04-2016, 12:13 PM
the Wifey's pistol is Kelly (Irish) green and mine is whatever color is cheapest (white this year) at the 99c store. plenty to try and no "right" answer

dverna
08-04-2016, 04:53 PM
Different people see things differently. No right answer

MediumCore358
08-04-2016, 05:02 PM
I painted my stock Rossi 92 sights for the time being with testors red on front bead and white around the rear buckhorn notch for contrast, I can see them better now.

MT Chambers
08-04-2016, 06:08 PM
If you use too much nail polish it will ruin your nails.

DerekP Houston
08-04-2016, 06:11 PM
I was really lazy and just used white out...scratches right off if need be. Oddly enough I have no issues with blued/nickle sights, just on the flat black LCR

Petrol & Powder
08-04-2016, 06:14 PM
If you use too much nail polish it will ruin your nails.

I was waiting for a response like this. A bit surprised that it took 15 posts to get there but it's still funny [smilie=s:

EMC45
08-04-2016, 08:57 PM
Depends on how sassy I'm feeling.......

GhostHawk
08-04-2016, 09:26 PM
Whiteout typing correction fluid.

Just saw an interesting video today on shooting pistol, learning to focus on the front sight.

Just accept that rear sights and target may not be crisp, blurry, etc.
But you can still see the rear well enough to make sure sights are aligned correctly.

I really like his white front sight with a black focus dot, so I tried making something like it using a black sharpie over my whiteout. It does seem to help. He has a couple of graphics that really help you to tune your focus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPtTs42sVAM

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPtTs42sVAM)

country gent
08-04-2016, 11:24 PM
I have used red or orange on pistols. For rifles it depends what Im doing. On my match rifles I smoke the front sight with a carbide burner to get the flatest black surface I can on the front post, this keeps glares from changing the sight picture. On hunting rifles I perfer a gold or white line or bead

Wolfer
08-07-2016, 07:08 PM
Some of my pistols have an orange insert. The color I prefer. On others I have the Brownells kit and still color the front orange.
My main hunting revolver is a new vaquero with orange insert and the back hog trough in mtn dew green. When the orange blur is setting in the green blur I know the boolit will land just above it.

What stinks about handgun shooting/hunting is when you get enough experience to learn grip control/ consistentancy etc you can't see your sights anymore.

Pardini
08-10-2016, 12:08 AM
Fishing jig paint, either white or orange over a white base coat.

The white base coat makes a huge difference. I use fluorescence green over white. The white makes it much brighter.