PDA

View Full Version : Are New Marlin 336's Painted?

JesterGrin_1
08-03-2016, 02:41 AM
I was at my local Academy Sports and Outdoors the other day and they had a new Marlin 336 on the rack that appeared to be painted flat black on all of the metal work. What is this stuff?

One more dumb question lol. Are the current Marlins worth purchasing? Or are they still making junk?

Shawlerbrook
08-03-2016, 06:15 AM
Personally from what I have read and seen, I would not purchase a Remington built Marlin( or a new Remington for that matter). As someone who grew up in the shadows of the Illion plant and cut his shooting teeth shooting Remington's this does pain me. As far as painted Marlins, I think it is just a not too good matte blue process.

5.7 MAN
08-03-2016, 06:50 AM
I saw a new 1895 model, it looked really nice.

The finish seemed more like a coating than bluing and from the description the wood stock is coated.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/bigbore/1895GSBL.asp

Scharfschuetze
08-03-2016, 09:56 AM
I was recently at a larger sporting goods store and looked at a few high end Remlins. Both had octagonal 26" rifle barrels that were over polished with the edges of the octagon rounded off. Their high gloss finish was not in place with the flat black finish on the receiver. While the style of the rifles looked great, the finish really put me off. One was engraved with a gold Marlin horseman trademark inlay on the receiver and the other one was sans added decoration.

Both were 1895s in 45/70. I just checked the Marlin web site, but neither one is shown in their current catalog.

jimb16
08-03-2016, 11:45 AM
Might be poly-coated.....

osteodoc08
08-03-2016, 04:28 PM
I was recently at a larger sporting goods store and looked at a few high end Remlins. Both had octagonal 26" rifle barrels that were over polished with the edges of the octagon rounded off. Their high gloss finish was not in place with the flat black finish on the receiver. While the style of the rifles looked great, the finish really put me off. One was engraved with a gold Marlin horseman trademark inlay on the receiver and the other one was sans added decoration.

Both were 1895s in 45/70. I just checked the Marlin web site, but neither one is shown in their current catalog.

Same here. Quite disappointed as I wanted a 1895 CB to go with my 1894 CB 45 Colt lever. I put it back on the rack.

mac60
08-03-2016, 08:35 PM
I own a new production 336w. The metal finish is probably some type of black oxide - whatever it is it's probably sprayed on. I have an H&R single barrel shotgun with the same finish. After I refinished the stock and forend and deburred some parts as well as added a receiver sight I'm happy with it.