PDA

View Full Version : At long last--a Ruger Service Six!

rintinglen
08-03-2016, 02:09 AM
After about 12 years of searching, I finally scored a Ruger Service six in the 2 3/4 inch barrel length. I intend to turn it into a speed-six when I get the chance, but for now, it remains in its square butt glory. I will be ordering a Tyler T grip adapter for it and later a Pachmayr Compac grip. Right Now it shoots about 2 inches to the left, but I think that is a result of the way the gun fits my hand and not an intrinsic problem. The holster is one I made and I am enthused over how well it came out, the only fly in the ointment being the scar on the the hide that I did not notice. It shows up pretty well once the dye is on the holster though!

Mica_Hiebert
08-03-2016, 04:34 AM
Nice piece. Holster looks good too. A little bit of honest cary wear and you'll not notice the leather defect.

Blackwater
08-03-2016, 06:15 AM
Nice choice of guns, Glen, and excellent holster, too. I like your treatment of the top line in the trigger and cylinder areas, and the simple open top design. Ya' done good, brother!

Ithaca Gunner
08-03-2016, 10:28 AM
Beautiful, I shoulda bought one when they were common and new.

Scharfschuetze
08-03-2016, 10:49 AM
That is a really good choice in a carry revolver. I gave mine to my brother years ago and it's still carried by his son. That's a lot of value and service for a revolver bought in the mid 70s.

I will be ordering a Tyler T grip adapter for it and later a Pachmayr Compac grip.

Unlike the S&W and Colt revolvers and their standard grips, I never needed a "T Grip" on the Ruger. It just fit very well as it came.

Very nice work on the holster.

FergusonTO35
08-03-2016, 11:48 AM
Love those Service Sixes! I have a stainless one in .38 with 4" barrel made in 1988, the last year of production. A bit of advice: 2-3/4 Speed Sixes are still fairly common, 2-3/4 Service Sixes are not. I would suggest finding someone who would just trade so you don't have to modify the revolver.

EMC45
08-03-2016, 12:55 PM
Nice pistol and carry rig. It looks classy.

tja6435
08-03-2016, 01:15 PM
The pachmayr compac grip is perfect for carrying and fantastic for small handed shooters. I found a set for a GP100 and have those squirreled away until needed.

Nueces
08-03-2016, 01:20 PM
I look at that mark on your leather as character and as being an opportunity to come up with a story. Maybe a critter pinned you against a bobwire fence and you had to shoot it. Cow scar on your holster, maybe one on you that needs a couple beers before you show it. Have fun with it. :mrgreen:

rintinglen
08-03-2016, 03:50 PM
Love those Service Sixes! I have a stainless one in .38 with 4" barrel made in 1988, the last year of production. A bit of advice: 2-3/4 Speed Sixes are still fairly common, 2-3/4 Service Sixes are not. I would suggest finding someone who would just trade so you don't have to modify the revolver.

This is Comifornia: it has taken me since 2003 to find one for sale when I had the money to buy it (I've only seen two snubbie Ruger "-SIX" stainless guns in that time). Frankly, I could give a rip about the "collectibility" or rarity of a gun that runs into the millions produced. I don't have enough years left to fiddle around trying to find some one in this state who would both be interested and who would have what I want.

rking22
08-03-2016, 07:46 PM
Nothing like a successful "hunt" :),,, I like your holster, very nice workmanship, and I wouldn't worry about the first character mark!

beemer
08-03-2016, 07:51 PM
I have a 200th year 2 3/4 Stainless Service Six that was my Dad's. He looked for a Speed Six but couldn't find one so I turned it into one about 35 yrs ago. It also shot to one side, I scribed the sight on the proper side, removed it and filled it a little thinner. That also gave a little more light on each side and helped to line it up quicker. That one stayed on his night stand for almost 37 years. Needless to say it has a permanent home. You have a fine revolver, hope you enjoy it ! Nice holster to.

Dave

FergusonTO35
08-04-2016, 09:02 AM
This is Comifornia: it has taken me since 2003 to find one for sale when I had the money to buy it (I've only seen two snubbie Ruger "-SIX" stainless guns in that time). Frankly, I could give a rip about the "collectibility" or rarity of a gun that runs into the millions produced. I don't have enough years left to fiddle around trying to find some one in this state who would both be interested and who would have what I want.

My bad, I didn't notice you were stuck in the DPRCA. In that case you should do what works best for you.

Moonie
08-04-2016, 10:12 PM
I love the platform, I have a security six stainless 6"

Petrol & Powder
08-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Rintinglen - Congratulations on your find ! That's an excellent gun.

The Six series Ruger DA revolvers are by far my favorite revolvers. They are like S&W K-frames on steroids without being as heavy as the GP-100 or L-frame Smith's. Truly one of the great service revolvers. They are incredibly strong and reliable yet easy to pack.

Here's my Speed-Six:

Still looking for a stainless Speed-Six but couldn't pass up the blued one.

FergusonTO35
08-06-2016, 01:09 PM
Love those Sixes. The lack of a six shot .38/.357 revolver that doesn't weight a ton has been a yawning chasm in the Ruger lineup since they were discontinued.

Petrol & Powder
08-06-2016, 02:33 PM
I agree completely FergusonTO35. The GP-100 is a good gun and is built like a tank, unfortunately that strength comes at the cost of weight and bulk. The Six series Rugers (Service, Security and Speed) were great revolvers and showed the brilliance of Bill Ruger.
If Ruger could slim down the GP-100 a bit, it could be close to the old Six's in terms of weight & size but there's probably not much market for a gun like that in today's world. The good news is there were a lot of Six's made (about 1.5 million).

GOPHER SLAYER
08-06-2016, 03:49 PM
I had two security sixes with 4 inch barrels, one being the heavier variety. Unfortunately I let both slip away. As stated by others, the Gp100 is just too heavy. With all that steel it could easily be a .41 cal.

Scharfschuetze
08-07-2016, 01:31 AM
the Gp100 is just too heavy. With all that steel it could easily be a .41 cal.

Amen to that. I aways wondered why Ruger discontinued the model. It was perfectly able to hand the 357 cartridge.

Uncle Grinch
08-07-2016, 02:51 PM
I picked up a stainless 4 inch Service Six back some time ago for $200 cash. A table at a gun show had a number of them that were prison guard trade-in's. Should have bought two!

FergusonTO35
08-08-2016, 09:15 AM
Heck, I would be happy with an SP-101 stretched a bit to have six rounds.

bedbugbilly
08-08-2016, 09:25 PM
Congrats! It's always nice to come up with what you are looking for after looking so long! That will be an excellent shooter and carry piece!

You did a nice job on the holster. I wouldn't worry about the "scar" too much. When I make holsters, I actually like to use leather with scars, partial brands, etc. I don't call them "defects" . . . I call them "character"! :-) You holster really came out nice and you should be proud of your work!

Have fun and enjoy!

glockmeister
08-09-2016, 10:07 AM
Very nice set up you got there. That should take good care of the SD mode. Leather work is very nice also. Take care and enjoy, John.:razz: