PDA

View Full Version : Will this hot plate work for Melting Wheel Weights

Winchester 70
08-02-2016, 03:03 PM
I was wondering if this hot plate would work for melting wheel weights to pour into ingot molds. Muffin pan ingots actually. I am somewhat new to this and I am just getting started on a very tight budget. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

I have a cast iron pot and I am going to pick up some muffin tins at the dollar store.

Thanks!

DerekP Houston
08-02-2016, 03:25 PM
typically a hot plate won't get hot enough to melt down wheel weights and range scrap, I use a propane turkey fryer for mine. Hot plate *can* melt lead ingots, and I think I have that same model. I guess you could give it a try? If you can, wait til after thanksgiving hits and turkey fryers usually go on clearance for a decent price. You could just stockpile wheel weights until then.

Winchester 70
08-02-2016, 03:41 PM
typically a hot plate won't get hot enough to melt down wheel weights and range scrap, I use a propane turkey fryer for mine. Hot plate *can* melt lead ingots, and I think I have that same model. I guess you could give it a try? If you can, wait til after thanksgiving hits and turkey fryers usually go on clearance for a decent price. You could just stockpile wheel weights until then.Thanks for that info Derek!

DerekP Houston
08-02-2016, 03:48 PM
fyi, that is the exact same hot plate I use for preheating my bullet molds for casting. Works like a champ for me and was ~20 from walmart.

jcren
08-02-2016, 05:25 PM
I used a 1200 watt hot plate to get started. Slow and the cheap ones don't live long set on high for hours at a time, but will work. Btw I tried a 1000watt plate and it wouldn't maintain melt.

08-02-2016, 05:39 PM
I have that hot plate for preheating my molds and ingots. I had some ingots on there one day with the temp too high, they melted.

Sent from my handiPhone using Tapatalk

Guesser
08-02-2016, 05:42 PM
My cheap hot plate works well for melting my alloy for casting with a dipper. I use an old 10# Ideal cast iron pot and a newer (35 y.o.) RCBS cast iron pot. Works very well for all my various alloys. I even rigged a way to replenish my Lee 10# bottom pour with fresh hot alloy by heating the alloy to temp while casting from the bottom pour. That way I don't have to wait for the Lee to come back up to temp. Hot plate works......

rondog
08-02-2016, 05:43 PM
Personally, I wouldn't waste my time trying. Go right to a turkey fryer burner and an old cast iron pot of some kind, you'll be far better off.

But keep the hot plate, they do work great for heating up molds. I took a steel electrical box, cut one side out, put a cover plate on it, and made an "oven". I put that on a hot plate, and can put two molds in it. It heats them up wonderfully, nice and even.

Winchester 70
08-02-2016, 05:44 PM
When you heat the mold on the plate do you have it on high medium or low?

Winchester 70
08-02-2016, 05:46 PM
And I just remembered I have an old turkey fryer from years ago I'm going to see if I can find it somewhere in my basement

DerekP Houston
08-02-2016, 05:49 PM
When you heat the mold on the plate do you have it on high medium or low?

depends on the mold material. For my brass molds I set them to just above medium as they retain heat very well. My aluminum lee molds go on high to get them hot quickly. It is easier for me to cool them back down if they first pour stays liquid too long. Also it depends on how many cavities are in the mold, a 2 cavity mold will heat up much quicker than a large 4-6 cavity mold.

Winchester 70
08-02-2016, 06:31 PM
Thanks Again everyone for the information

LenH
08-03-2016, 08:51 AM
I have had a mishap with that same hot plate. I was trying to warm up some ingots and wasn't really paying attention to it and the ingots ran all over the casting bench.
As for melting wheel weights in a pot, not so sure.

imashooter2
08-03-2016, 08:57 AM
If you are tight on budget, you can usually find Coleman camp stoves cheap at yard sales, Craig's List, thrift shops, etc.. They can generally handle a 2 quart pot before wait times become unreasonable. The liquid fuel versions are cheap to run too.

Winchester 70
08-03-2016, 12:23 PM
Thanks again everyone for the help and advice

gwpercle
08-04-2016, 05:02 PM
My "new" hot plate kept cycling off just as the WW would start to melt....Frustrating ! I returned it to the store and went to propane crawfish boiler , that bad boy can melt like all git out and boil crawfish , shrimp and/or crabs to boot.
Gary

edctexas
08-04-2016, 06:01 PM
I have that exact hot plate. Melts lead in contact with the element but not in a small iron pot. Works great for preheating molds. I added a thermocouple to the element bottom aND use a PID to control temp. Holds mold S at 400F and does t melt one lb I ingots.
Ed

bangerjim
08-04-2016, 06:39 PM
Life's too short. Use gas. Forget an electric hotplate for re-melting stuff. My propane-fired plumber's furnace can melt 120# or so of lead in just a few minutes. A fish fryer can do similar. Spend some money...be a happy caster. Doing things on the cheeeep is one thing..........doing things right is another.

Use the plate for heating your molds to full casting temp B4 ever starting to cast.

banger

Winchester 70
08-06-2016, 11:49 AM
Well.....it looks like I will be looking for a propane heat source for smelting my lead. Thanks again guys for your honest input!

dogmower
08-08-2016, 12:00 PM
"When you heat the mold on the plate do you have it on high medium or low?"
I have the same hotplate, used it yesterday. Put my mold on it (on high) while the lee melted my alloy, so 15 minutes? My first casts came out perfect, but frosted (indicating mold too hot). Medium-high should keep it at the correct temp. It's really nice if you have to pause while casting. Just set the plate on medium-high, leave the pot on, and when you come back, it's like you never stopped.
Easily the best 20 bucks I've spent on casting equipment.

Winchester 70
08-09-2016, 04:51 PM
dogmower, thank you for that info!!!!!