PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 650's Don't Work!

Just Duke
05-26-2008, 11:30 AM
I have been fighting these things since I got them. Got set up to run the case trimmer on the press that loads 223. Double feeds cases continually. Did the same on 45 on a different press. Did the same on another press in 308. I am now dead in the water as far as case trimming goes. Pulled the universal decpper apart 9 times now to straighten the pin. Bent beyond all recognition. My spare is broken of completly. None of these cases are berdan primed. Dillons warraunty also leaves alot to be desired. By the time I send the bad part in and get it back I am loooking at 2 weeks.

The large Dillon brass polisher is almost worthless. I have to run it two days to get my brass polished. The Lyman Turbo is twice the polisher at 1/3 the price. Brass polisher has been sent back once already.
I am going to buy a cement mixer from Harbor Freight. GRRRR!!!!! :(

quasi
05-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Trade them 650's for Hornady Loc n loads! I had a 550b I liked alot until I used a RCBS 2000, I sold the 550b and bought a RCBS 2000. Its an even better press than the 550, sort of a Supergrade 550b!

garandsrus
05-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Duke,

I would check all the components you have installed on the press that you are trimming with. I don't see how the press can double feed if operating normally with the correct conversion kit installed.

One thing you might check is to make sure that the case insert slide (black angled piece) that feeds the case is set correctly. It reverses and the long slide is for pistol and the short slide for rifle. It's easy to forget to set it correctly.

You can also check to make sure that the black plate doesn't have any tumbler media or other stuff in the slot the cartridge rim goes into.

The only time I ever get a double feed is if I partially cycle the press and then cycle it again, resulting in the case feeder dropping a case twice.

I have busted decapping pins, but most have been in my 550 and not the 650. If the press takes more effort than normal to operate, stop and figure out what's wrong. Forcing it won't work...

I have never had to send a bad part to Dillon before they sent a replacement. I don't have their tumbler though.

John

Dale53
05-26-2008, 03:13 PM
I have had the large Dillon Vibratory Tumbler for many years and tens of thousands of clean cases. It cleans in a fraction of the time it took my Thumbler Tumbler. The only complaint I could possibly have is it is BIG (but holds a 1000 .45 ACP's) and polishes my cases until they look like new in a couple of hours. I use Dillon's polish (two caps full every 1000 cases).

Dale53

kodiak1
05-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Duke you have to have something out of whack went through 700 45 ACP's last night and only stopped to refill primers, bullets or brass. The 650 is one slick machine but I will spend an hour with it getting it set up, then look out cause brass starts to get reloaded.
Read your manual after you cool down and try try again.
Good luck Ken.

broomhandle
05-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi Duke,

I'm sorry your haveing a problem. My press has been 100% for many years.
The tumbler has been in use for 15 years. Hell. they rebuilt it when our young Akita chewed the crap out of the bowl. NO Charge!

Do you have the same cleaner & media in both tumblers? I don't see how you can get bad results if it is shaking?
I would contact Dillon the Tec guys are GREAT!

I Really wish you better luck in future, with the press &the tumbler.

Be safe,
broom

RugerFan
05-26-2008, 09:50 PM
I would contact Dillon the Tec guys are GREAT!

I agree. I was at the Dillon plant in Scottsdale, AZ three weeks ago and had a nice chat with Chris Dillon (the owner's son). They are good people and stand behind their products. I'm sure they will work with you if you give them a call.

runfiverun
05-26-2008, 10:45 PM
duke take one thing at a time...
i like to size/trim on a r-chucker [ i know one more step ]
then clean the brass then load them...

GabbyM
05-26-2008, 10:53 PM
To save your decaping pins.
I've found using a flash hole deburring tool just about eliminates broken decaping pins. Especially on mil surplus brass. I've a RCBS tool that I've ground the point down on the #1 center drill so it will bevel the flash hole when the primer is still in. Used this on about three thousand once fired crimped military 5.56mm last winter and only broke one pin. Discovered years ago that if the pin can make it into the flash hole those crimped primers pop right out. Some care aligning the punch centered in the die also helps.

Southern Son
05-27-2008, 12:31 AM
Broomhandle, after reading what your Akita did, I am feeling a bit better about my dumb Doberman, I swear, the next time he headbutts me in the groin could end any chanche of me having a kid.

cohutt
05-27-2008, 06:44 AM
something is obviously wrong with the setup or the way you are operating them.

I have to be careful when trimming not to get too aggressive with the handle- easy to slam too hard if you don't have to slow down to prime and seat a bullet each cycle. My only decap pin issues on the 650 came when i did a mega trimming run and went to fast/too hard on the pull. Slow down, take your time.

shotman
05-28-2008, 04:20 AM
i have missed something how or why are you trimming cases on a press? shotman

Lloyd Smale
05-28-2008, 06:44 AM
ive got two dillon tumblers the large and small one and also a lyman and a frankfort arsenoal. the large dillon is the fasted cleaning one of the bunch. Duke i wish you could get someone over there that is familar with the 650. I dont own one but have done a ton of loading on my buddys 5 650s and ive never had a double feed of a case yet.

garandsrus
05-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Shotman,

Duke is using a Dillon Rapid Trim (http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23636/catid/8/Dillon__039_s_Rapid_Trim_1200B_Case_Trimmer).

It trims cases but doesn't chamfer the case mouth. Some folks loading jacketed bullets have eliminated the chamfering step by flaring the case mouth just a little to let the bullet start into the case more easily. The slight flair is removed when the bullet is seated or crimped.

John

targetshootr
05-28-2008, 08:56 AM
I use RCBS dies on my 650 and break a lot of decap pins. It turns out most of the time a piece of corn cob from WallyMart in the bottom of a case is the reason. It's a complicated machine and it took a long time to figure out what causes what. Example, sometimes the allen screws under the shellplate come loose and cause it to cycle rough and if the spring at the bottom of the powder linkage rod isn't snug it'll drop uneven loads.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
05-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Duke,

Here's some things that might help you. My comments in red.

I have been fighting these things since I got them. Got set up to run the case trimmer on the press that loads 223. Double feeds cases continually. Did the same on 45 on a different press. Did the same on another press in 308. I am now dead in the water as far as case trimming goes.

This is just an opinion, but after years or reloading and reading reloading forums, I've determined if you want fast trimming, Giraud is the way to go. Anything else is either inefficient or just doesn't work. Send those on the press trimming units back for a refund. For pistol calibers, don't bother trimming unless you're shooting bullseye at 50 yard targets.

Pulled the universal decapper apart 9 times now to straighten the pin. Bent beyond all recognition. My spare is broken of completely. None of these cases are berdan primed.

I generally deprime in an operation by itself, unless I'm full length resizing. in which case I'll resize on the press, then trim off the press, then return to the progressive for powder, bullet seating and crimp if needed. This is generally the best way to handle progressive rifle reloading, for all the reasons you're having trouble with.

Dillons warraunty also leaves alot to be desired. By the time I send the bad part in and get it back I am loooking at 2 weeks.

Used to be, they just send out the bad part. For most progressives, it's a good idea to have a couple of spares of "expendable" items likely to break. If I remember right, you're still new to the presses, there is a learning curve and during it, you're going to break parts. I suggest you remove some items and just get the basic progressive going, then add features on as you gain experience with the press. This allows you to focus on tuning the basic press without an overwhelming number of things going at one time.

The large Dillon brass polisher is almost worthless. I have to run it two days to get my brass polished. The Lyman Turbo is twice the polisher at 1/3 the price. Brass polisher has been sent back once already.

Sounds like you may be overloading it. Try cutting your quantity of brass in half, then using 1/2 corncorb and 1/2 crushed walnut as a mix. Throw in a capful of Nu Finish car polish with each load of brass and see if things don't improve to the point you'll have enough of a reduction of time between loads you'll end up being more efficient.

I am going to buy a cement mixer from Harbor Freight. GRRRR!!!!!

I've had one of those things. Resist the urge. HF sometimes doesn't have "gems." grin

Finally, be patient with the progressives you have. I'm a Hornady LnL man, but also have a close friend with a 650. You have good presses and they should do you a good job, but not everything any company makes, including Dillon, is the best. If you're wanting faster reloading, do the resizing by itself, trim off the press with a Giraud and finish the operation back on the press.

Take the time to learn the basic press operations before adding other goodies and the likelihood of items breaking will reduce and your learning curve will become less steep at the same time. Nothing like the old KISS principle to get things going. Simplify your operations, then add as you get the basic stuff smoothed out and running good. Speed will come with familiarity and tuning.

Regards,

Dave

garandsrus
05-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Duke,

Dave made some good points...

I have both a 550B and a 650 and am glad that I got the 550 first. It's learning curve is much less steep than with the 650's. The 650 is much more complicated and it is harder to figure out what happened when there is a hang up.

I reload in large batches (1000 plus) on the 650 and it works great once everything is set properly. I really like the low powder sensor.

I especially like the 650 when I am sizing rifle cases prior to trimming and loading as all I need to do is dump cases in the feeder and pull the handle. It's much quicker and a lot less work than the 550.

John

Dale53
05-28-2008, 05:16 PM
There is excellent advice in Dave's post. The phrase "You must learn to walk before you can run" comes to mind...

Dale53

Dan Cash
07-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Duke, you are absolutely right. That Dillon stuff ain't much 'count. I hate to see you so unhappy so just PM me with your address and I will take that blue junk off your hands. You mentioned a trade?

KYCaster
07-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Are you the same Dan Cash who recently left Kentucky for the Great Frozen North?

If so, glad you found us. If not, welcome anyway.

Just being nosey.
Jerry

Dan Cash
07-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Jerry,
I have that singular distinction. The riff raff just can not hide from their history. Hope all is well with you and our shooting friends.

mike in co
07-16-2008, 12:22 PM
I have been fighting these things since I got them. Got set up to run the case trimmer on the press that loads 223. Double feeds cases continually. Did the same on 45 on a different press. Did the same on another press in 308. I am now dead in the water as far as case trimming goes. Pulled the universal decpper apart 9 times now to straighten the pin. Bent beyond all recognition. My spare is broken of completly. None of these cases are berdan primed. Dillons warraunty also leaves alot to be desired. By the time I send the bad part in and get it back I am loooking at 2 weeks.

I am going to buy a cement mixer from Harbor Freight. GRRRR!!!!! :(

duke,
one thing at a time.

most of the time if you call dillon they will ship based on your call...no waiting.

i use two dillon 2001 case cleaners. they are excellent...ask anyone that has bought my brass.
i run them one hour at a time for everything but 223, which goes for 2 hrs. i have them on timers.
i use fairly fine ground corn cob. it will polish by itself, but when it gets a little dirty i add auto polish and then it goes long time.
what media are you using, and how much brass are you puting in.

some how i doubt your title. dillon has been selling the machines for years. if they were bad, the word would get around and sales would die.
silly question....did you call dillon teck services ?
dont understand the double feed/trimmer issue.....'splain this to me.

and not wanting to be rude, but why are you working on your THIRD 650, if you have not resolved the problems on the first one ?..........like others have said...slow down....call dillon.

thanks
mike in co

Just Duke
07-16-2008, 02:15 PM
They sent me new parts and the new ones don't have nasty tool marks in them. To answer your question, I bought 4 650's at the same time. Check the reloading bench thread.
Dillon does admit that all there parts are made somewhere else and then assembled at the Phoenix location. My buddy that has one also says his was a bit persnickty at first also. I was waiting for someone to come along for years to come up with a bigger better mouse trap but with the public accessable firearms industry going through it's death throws my wait was in vain. I have chatted with Mike at Dillon many times per my visits to the old facility (talked mostly about helicopters and McDonnell Douglas) and can say he is a swell fellow. Most don't know the reloading thing (Dillon) is just a side interest compared to there primary revenue maker as a majority of the access. companies are. They do seem to have an inordinate amount of tech guys which tell me this might be the "Osprey" of the reloading industy. Much better than my Lee though.
I am however not an advocate of the progessive reloading industry. Take the press I have for instance. It is pretty much 20 year old technology. I am, and always will enjoy single stage reloading. If I wasn't so long in the tooth, I would break out my slide rule and reinvent this wheel. i.e. Dillon 650. Or "Duke 2008" lol
I have oogled the 1050 and feel that it is a VERY FINE machine even to this day. But of course the cost is 2 1/2 times more. Might want to watch the buy sell section because I really have a heart ohn for 6 Dillon 1050's.
I do appreciate being able to ruminate with you gents and vent my frustration.

Just Duke
07-16-2008, 02:25 PM
duke,
one thing at a time.

most of the time if you call dillon they will ship based on your call...no waiting.

i use two dillon 2001 case cleaners. they are excellent...ask anyone that has bought my brass.
i run them one hour at a time for everything but 223, which goes for 2 hrs. i have them on timers.
i use fairly fine ground corn cob. it will polish by itself, but when it gets a little dirty i add auto polish and then it goes long time.
what media are you using, and how much brass are you puting in.

and not wanting to be rude, but why are you working on your THIRD 650, if you have not resolved the problems on the first one ?..........like others have said...slow down....call dillon.

thanks
mike in co

Here you go Mike.

I use Lyman media. The green stuff.:roll:

What the say the case volume of the polisher and what actually works is complate different.

And yes I am still going to buy the cement mixer. That is what Jack Stanley over at Rifle Company.com has been using for years.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/DILLONBENCH.jpg

mike in co
07-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Here you go Mike.

I use Lyman media. The green stuff.:roll:

What the say the case volume of the polisher and what actually works is complate different.

And yes I am still going to buy the cement mixer. That is what Jack Stanley over at Rifle Company.com has been using for years.

duke,
glad you can take all of this with a grain of salt. trash the lyman green, buy corn cob balsting media from grainger. aprox 30 bucks for 50 lbs. i burned up a dillon in 6 months. probably my fault. i did not use a timer so lots ran way too long. initially i did not weigh(count) initially so may have been overloading. i wass doing over 1000 of 45acp and right at 1000 223. the machines work...at volume...me thinks it was your media.
i agree on the cement mixer, but plan on replacing the junk motor with a quality us made motor.
my competiition uses mixers...three of them.

i have an rcbs sidewinder for moly coating..two drums; a midway for small lot generic cleaning, a small commercial tumbler my persoanl small batches, the two dilllons, and a wore out very large midway...no spare parts. they will trade me for a new small one......i may do that now that i have the two dillons.
and mike and his toys...dillon that is. he has built some awsome equiptment in his time...black box stuff that is, not reloading gear.
remember when mike started he was light years ahead of the industry. mos thave now copied him with everyone having progressives and or full auto machines.

if you want to step up to the next level, do a goggle search on camdex. commercial case sorting, case prep , reloading, and packaging equiptment.

mike in co

Meatco1
07-16-2008, 04:33 PM
I've tried the Giraud trimmer, and much prefer the Dillon Rapid Trim. It's fast, easy, quick to set up, once set up, the trim mark is always right on thru the entire session.

Oh, did I mention fast?

Richard

mstarling
07-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Duke,

The 1050 is a nice machine. Is not easy to caliber change. Is definitely not easy to change the primer size. Is not covered by the Dillon lifetime warrantee. Must be cleaned once in a while.

However, have never had an difficulties with mine. Has loaded thousands and thousands of stuff with small primers (9mm, Super, 40 S&W, .223 mostly).

I have two large Dillon tumbers. The first was an old one which was sent back for a new motor and could not be repaired eventually. I put the motor from a Thumblers in it for light use. I use walnut shells with an abrasive. For stuff going through the 1050 I don't bother the size first ... but I only run my .225 5 times and then throw it away. (Transferable M16 lower is worth a lot.) Pistol stuff gets shorter with firings.

The rate of use on a progressive is not the important thing ... slow and steady produces lots of ammo. Fast can cause problems. 1050 will make over 1000 rnds an hour used slowly.

Theoretically, the 650 should work MUCH better than your experience indicates. Would love to have one.

Just Duke
08-21-2008, 10:33 AM
OK HERE'S THE PROBLEM!!!

The black plastic case feeder bar was catching on the cartridge ejection shoot. GRRRR!!!! I have 2 that are bent badly.
They are sending me new ones.
I checked out the brass polisher myself and the bearing are WIPED OUT! They said send it back. Again. :roll:

I have been single staging it ever since and the 650's are coat racks.
I'm back at it today though. ;)

targetshootr
08-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Thankfully Dillon is one of the few 'no BS' companies out there. Every business should be like that but certain gun makers see their defects as a chance to make another dollar.

:castmine:

remy3424
08-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Duke, with all the fellers here, no need for the Dillon Tek line!! That reloading bench is still very impressive(even if they aren't kicking out cartridges). If they keep acting-up you can do one of your "free to a good home" threads in the swap section. Put me down for a "I'll take one" reply!! I sure hope you gettem upn runnun. Between these guys and your persistance, blue will work. I would love to take a walk-through of your place!!!

shotman
08-21-2008, 07:12 PM
its a good thing you posted the pictures NOW we all why you are haveing problems--- they have not been used. I have had a 650 for 6 months and it looks well used you need toget some lube or moly or just dirt in there they work better rick

Just Duke
08-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Well I spent the last 2 1/2 months moving, painting and now repacking for our divisional move etc... So I haven't had much chance to get back to them until now.
Plus waiting for some cooler weather to do some casting. I'm in no hurry.
I did load 5000 45 ACP when they first arrived.

Just Duke
08-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Duke, with all the fellers here, no need for the Dillon Tek line!! That reloading bench is still very impressive(even if they aren't kicking out cartridges). If they keep acting-up you can do one of your "free to a good home" threads in the swap section. Put me down for a "I'll take one" reply!! I sure hope you gettem upn runnun. Between these guys and your persistance, blue will work. I would love to take a walk-through of your place!!!

Thanks a bunch Remy.:drinks:

Lloyd Smale
08-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Duke i envy your 650s my buddy has 5 of them set up and a 1050 and i have to slug along with my 5 square deals and a 550. Ill tell you one thing though if a guy could afford to buy 1050s in every caliber so he didnt have to do caliber swaps hed be in heaven as the 1050 is hands down the best progressive press made. You can argue the 650vshorn lnl but the 1050 is in a differnt league then either of them.

rainyday
08-21-2008, 09:51 PM
i have found that 308's can have differant flash hole sizes especially if you have lake city or other reloadable military cases and even some cheaper commercial brass will be the same way.
duke,once you get it readjusted,things will fly. personnaly i dont use my dillion for reloading rifle brass since i dont want to chance any resizing lube to get in my powder or all over the bulletts.

a better way to process your 308's would be, if you only have 1 308 rifle- once there fired in your rifle to clean the cases,and use a neck sizer. then you dont need to lube or trim

Just Duke
08-22-2008, 01:04 AM
i have found that 308's can have differant flash hole sizes especially if you have lake city or other reloadable military cases and even some cheaper commercial brass will be the same way.
duke,once you get it readjusted,things will fly. personnaly i dont use my dillion for reloading rifle brass since i dont want to chance any resizing lube to get in my powder or all over the bulletts.

a better way to process your 308's would be, if you only have 1 308 rifle- once there fired in your rifle to clean the cases,and use a neck sizer. then you dont need to lube or trim
I have to full length resize my 308's for my AR-10's. I ran my 308 through the whole trimming set up and FL resize them at the last position. Oh! the first station is a universal decapper.

Just Duke
08-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Well the parts came to day and so I went to install them. Bent!:rooll: just like the others. grrr!!!!
Soo.....I fixed them myself. My My My.....
So now everything feeds good on all presses.

Just Duke
08-23-2008, 08:57 PM
its a good thing you posted the pictures NOW we all why you are haveing problems--- they have not been used. I have had a 650 for 6 months and it looks well used you need toget some lube or moly or just dirt in there they work better rick

The pic is from the day I first bolted them down.

4 Dillon 650's + Reloading Bench Valhalla part Deux Link

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=27737

Also note for you porn lovers.

FLGC PORN ALERT

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/10000HORNADYBULLETS.jpg

45nut
08-23-2008, 09:02 PM
LOL thats just too much!

Just Duke
08-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks For The Help All!!! :-D :-D :-D

mike in co
08-24-2008, 12:07 AM
for the ar10 full length sizing is not require.....he said what ???

size them 2-3 thou below the chamber...and all should be good.

full length sizing will minimize case life, less than full length will add significant life...i have seen 50 reloadings on a "correctly " sized case.

process rifle cases in two steps, clean, lube, deprime, size trim in one step, in step two polish then prime, load......no lube on the final case
mike in co

billt
08-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Duke,

I hate to show up to close the barn door after the last horse leaves, but I know you and your wife do a lot of shooting. For trimming cases, (which is the most boring, thankless job in the reloading process), I finally bit the bullet and went with one of these:

http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGYLmHvKVd0

It was without question the best money I ever spent! I trimmed over 2,300 .223 cases in under 3 hours start to finish. The beauty of the Giraud is it trims to length + -.002, and also puts a really nice chamfer on both the inside, as well as the outside of the case mouth at the same time. If you set up to minimize wasted motion, you can easily double the production rate shown to over 20 cases a minute. They aren't cheap, but good tooling seldom is. Doug is super to deal with, and my trimmer arrived promptly. It's one of those tools that once you get it, you'll wonder how in the hell you got along without it. Bill T.

hedgehorn
08-30-2008, 11:27 PM
:roll: You are right they don't work. I am willing to donate a rockchucker in trade for one of those lousy machine's just so you can keep loading. :-D

Just Duke
09-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Duke,

http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

I talked to this guy about his .50 BMG setup for trimming and he was a jee----erk!

crowbeaner
09-14-2008, 08:28 PM
I prefer the RL 450 and always will. It's the best press Dillon ever made IMHO. I won a 650 in a raffle and sold it because it was too costly to change calibers on. If I catch the effing burglars that took my 450 I'm gonna beat them half to death.

Dale53
09-18-2008, 06:08 PM
I had a RL 450 and was happy to trade it in on a Dillon 550B. I am truly a fan of the 550B (I have two of them).

Just goes to show that we are not all alike.

Happy reloading, regardless!

Dale53

Just Duke
09-18-2008, 08:01 PM
The brass polisher arrived back with a new motor and a meriad of new parts that have been replaced.

Just Duke
11-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Elord told me once that at the height they were turning out 500 a year. Exactly when that started I don't know but it went on for decades.

For a considerable period Star had large standing orders for their machines. Thus they didn't have to advertise. If you found them, they would sell you a machine. All the rest went to a few very big customers.

Star help Mike Dillon get started. Mike's first product was the so-called Super Star kit which converted a Star Universal into a machine capable of reloading 223's. Elord helped Mike develop that.

Mike's first machine, the Dillon RL1050, was meant to be a Super Star kit built from the ground up. Financially it was a blop. That forced Mike into machine machines like his current line. When Mike became the leading progressive manufacturer, he specifically set out to destroy Star. I never understood why.

The Wilkinson family, two generations of which worked for Star, would probably know more. The elder Wilkinson retired to somewhere in the Phoenix area. God only know where. There are about a dozen towns down there. His son, Rob I think, might have gone there too. Might be worth a search to see if there is a Rob Wilkinson in the phone book somewhere.

One last thought. For a long time Star Universals sold for $450 I think. That was a lot more than they cost to make. Star was getting so many orders, however, that they raised the price to $950 to cut interest. It had just the opposite effect.

http://www.starreloaders.com/forum/index.php/topic,22.0.html

Just Duke
11-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Star73,

I don't claim to be an expert on Star history, but the Super Star Conversions was Dillons first entry into the reloading business, and my understanding is that he was on friendly terms with Star at the time. The conversions was a group of parts that converted a Star Universal to load .223. According to Dillon's website, he sold less than 100 of them. I have a partial set of the parts. I keep looking for the rest, but haven't made much progress.

The following is from Dillon's website:

The Highly Irregular and Somewhat Improbable
History of Dillon Precision Products
By Mike Dillon

I got into the reloading equipment business purely by accident. It started when a friend of mine died in an airplane crash – MY airplane. A few other friends of his and I spent four or five months closing up his machine shop business and selling off all the tools for his widow. When we were finished, she said, “I guess I owe you an airplane.” I answered, “No you don’t. I didn’t lend it to you. I lent it to your husband. That was between him and me. But I WOULD like his Thompson submachine gun.” The Tommy gun came with a star loading tool, so I became a progressive reloader.

Shortly thereafter, I bought an M-16, and wanted to load .223 ammo progressively, but Star said it wasn’t possible to do it with their tool. They said, “If you want to try it, we’ll sell you a .380 shellplate and you can try to make it work.” So I went to a machinist and cut down an RCBS die, ground the hardcoat off of the outside and had him thread it to the weird thread size that Star dies used and I made the damn thing work. I changed the link-arms to give it a little more stroke and came up with a kit so my friends could convert their machines.

My friend Peter Kokalis was ridiculing me and sarcastically suggested marketing my kit as the “Superstar Conversion,” which I did. Maybe 100 or so kits were sold, but soon people started asking me for a conversion to load .30-06 rifle ammunition on the Star machine. That’s when I decided to make my own reloader. The RL-1000 was the first full-fledged Dillon Precision product. Manufacture started out in my garage, then we moved into a small shop. We started the company on a $30,000 loan against our house.

http://www.starreloaders.com/forum/index.php/topic,618.0.html

billt
11-13-2008, 10:33 AM
I prefer the RL 450 and always will. It's the best press Dillon ever made IMHO.

I agree. I've been using my RL-450 since I first bought it in the early 80's. It has turned out tens of thousands of flawless rounds. I like the solidness of it, no slop with the sliding tool head. Another thing is I can use any of my powder measures with it very easily. Dillon's measures don't meter fine ball powder, or long grained stick powder very well. I like the precision of a rotating steel drum like my Redding 3-BR or my Lyman 55. The Dillon with it's die cast sliding bar arrangement isn't the best in regards to these powders. I wish Dillon still made the RL-450. I would buy another. Bill T.

Just Duke
11-13-2008, 10:44 AM

I have been loading the heck out of 45 Long Colt on the machine to the far left in the pic. Seems to work OK now that I fixed the Dillon boo boo's.
45 ACp is the one on the right and 223 and 308 are in the middle. 500 and 45-70 are all single stage. The bench/benches are now setup in our party home and I have a much bigger reloading room.

arclight
11-13-2008, 12:19 PM
One thing about the Dillons: Cleaning and lubing really help. I usually break down the 550B and blow all the dust and grime out after every major loading campaign or when I change calibers.

Also, clean the primer feed system with alcohol and try lubing it with graphite if you have problems with the primer dispenser sticking.

Arclight

Baldy
11-15-2008, 06:32 PM
I think somebody needs to cool off and watch the 650-xl tape that comes with the new press. If things are set right it is impossible to double feed .223's. I have run thousands of rounds through mine from 9mm thur .223 and have had very little in the way of problems. If you want a progressive press there is none better. If the primer punch is breaking then the shells must be staked as that's all that can cause that.

Just Duke
11-15-2008, 09:51 PM
I think somebody needs to cool off and watch the 650-xl tape that comes with the new press. If things are set right it is impossible to double feed .223's. I have run thousands of rounds through mine from 9mm thur .223 and have had very little in the way of problems. If you want a progressive press there is none better. If the primer punch is breaking then the shells must be staked as that's all that can cause that.

I think somebody needs to read the full thread because the problem was Dillons faulty parts and not by fault of my own. I bought 4 presses at the same time and they all had the same identical problem. The sent me the replacement parts and they were out of wack too. So bent them where they should be and installed them. They have worked flawlessly ever since. Afterwards I gave a call to Dillon and explained the problem and they thanked me for calling this to their attention.

Just Duke
11-15-2008, 09:57 PM
One thing about the Dillons: Cleaning and lubing really help. I usually break down the 550B and blow all the dust and grime out after every major loading campaign or when I change calibers.

Also, clean the primer feed system with alcohol and try lubing it with graphite if you have problems with the primer dispenser sticking.

Arclight

The 550 I used to have was notorious for not feeding primers when dirty. Hence, I went with the 650's this time around.

Tom W.
11-16-2008, 01:12 AM
I told you that you could send one to me.... It's almost Christmas anyway.....

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-16-2008, 02:50 AM
I am willing to pay you fifty-dollars, cash money, for that crappy Dillon. I only have a couple now, and it is an inconvenience to have to switch dieheads, etc. I looked in the shop this afternoon, and there are nine of thos *** blue machines cluttering up my reloading room.
The 9mm/40sw unit has reloaded just over 400,000 rounds between the two, and the 38 is closing in due to the crew that shoots peashooter CAS loads. Fooled me!

Rich

Just Duke
11-16-2008, 07:22 AM
Tracking says they were delivered to you a week ago TW and IS. UPS confirmation say signed by Pam Andereson?

Tom W.
11-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Musta been while I was at work... Second shift, you know....

Meatco1
11-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Well, Crowbeaner, or billt:

I'm your man.

I have a Dillon RL450 with all the factory shipped parts sitting in storage. I haven't used it in 15 years or so, but anytime you're ready, let me know, and I'll be happy to trade for a RL550.

Richard

Just Duke
12-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Out of desperationI pulled the Dillon Polisher out of the box 3 weeks ago post recieving it's new motor to do some 223 brass.
2500 rounds of .223 and 2500 rounds of 308 the machine sounds like a cement mixer loaded with boulders running. I'm posting a You Tube video of it running. If no one belives me just ask Jon_K. He was on the phone with me while it was running.
I called Dillon and they said a new motor was $99.00................................. For a $180.00 brass poisher.

All the 650's were sold off after I fixed them...............

Just Duke
12-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Per talking with Lloyd Smalle about his two Hornaday Lock and Load Presses he bought I purchased one.
I'm on like 8 months now and it works flawlessly.
Let me say that again,
THE HORNADAY LOCK AND LOADS WORK FLAWLESSLY!!!

:grin::grin::grin: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

dromia
12-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Got to agree there.

I've had mine at least 3 years now and nary a problem.

Iowa Fox
12-19-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm still using my old 450 here also, its a great press that has given me great service. About 10 years ago I really wanted to upgrade to a 550B but now I'm old enough that will not happen.

Dillon has no original replacement parts for the 450. Mine really hasn't needed much but the little things I had to find from someone that had leftovers. When they upgrade machines in their shop I wish they would save the old stuff to help us folks out that still have and use their old macines. This week I ordered about 50 bucks of stuff and asked about an infinitesmal replacement part #450-34A. Deaf ears.

Don't get me wrong they are a great American company. I just wish that every now and then they would feature ladies my own age on the cover of the Blue Press. They're still beautiful also.

John Boy
12-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Duke - not a bad idea!
* or a Harbor Freight - double rotary tumbler - 40 bucks
* Kramer Industries 2mm ceramic polishing media - my next buy will be the 4mm media
* Rio Grande Strat-O-Sheen, Burnishing Compound, 339-017/5 ... 3oz of powder concentrate to 1 gal of water
Fill the tumbler between a 1/8 to 1/4 full with the ceramic media - pour in the Strat-O-Sheen solution - and ...
Run the tumber for One and a Half Hours! That's all it took to clean a load of deprimed 45-90 blackpowder cases!
Here's an example ...
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/IMGP0699.jpg

Primer pockets just as clean and inside the case - clean except for the 'dragon blood' streaks from ignited charcoal

Lloyd Smale
12-20-2009, 08:35 AM
well duke as time passes i dont know about my statement. Ive got three of them and two seem to run fine but the third was just boxed up and sent back to hornady. the dogs that control timming constantly go out of ajustment on that press. About every 50 rounds it goes out of time. Another thing i dont like about the hornadys is the case feeder system. Dillons is hands down a better system for reliability. It seems like im constantly tweaking someing with either of the two case feeders i have. Ive used my buddys 650s and 1050 and cant ever remember the case feeder not working a 100 percent. One other small compaint i have with the hornadys is the primer feed needs to stay completely clean. Any powder residue at all and it will stop cold. Bottom line is both hornady and dillon have there good points and bad.

Per talking with Lloyd Smalle about his two Hornaday Lock and Load Presses he bought I purchased one.
I'm on like 8 months now and it works flawlessly.
Let me say that again,
THE HORNADAY LOCK AND LOADS WORK FLAWLESSLY!!!

:grin::grin::grin: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

machinisttx
12-21-2009, 12:45 PM
The only issues I've had with my XL650 were cause by either defective user syndrome, or military brass. *shrug*

ddeaton
12-21-2009, 05:28 PM
I have 2 650's, one of which was Dukes, one purchased new. I have had several issues with both, all being setup issues. All the tweaks and adjustments are not spelled out in the documentation or the video that comes with the machines. I only really learned how things work after a complete clean and teardown. Thats when I really got them running like a sewing machine. I have a oversize powder funnel I am currently using for my 45 acp setup and it works great. I am making a number of these for folks who have asked for them and will have them soon. They expand the neck a couple thous more than the stock unit and works great for seating cast boolits.

testhop
12-30-2009, 08:36 PM
[QUOTE=Dale53;344343]I have had the large Dillon Vibratory Tumbler for many years and tens of thousands of clean cases. It cleans in a fraction of the time it took my Thumbler Tumbler. The only complaint I could possibly have is it is BIG (but holds a 1000 .45 ACP's) and polishes my cases until they look like new in a couple of hours. I use Dillon's polish (two caps full every 1000 cases).

Dale53[/QUOTE

#! on dillon tumbler had one for years have cleaned thousands of cases .
cleans faster and better that my lyman
the dillon also holds more .

Lloyd Smale
12-31-2009, 08:59 AM
well if its tumblers you want to compare ill say this. After my fire i needed to replace my tumblers i had a big dillon and the largest lyman and a frankfort arsenal . The lyman agaitated much more but because of the capacity of the dillon i could actually clean more brass faster with the dillon. When i went to replace them i knew i needed a new dillon and bought one. I also wanted a second smaller tumbler and wanted a lyman as in my experience with mine and a few others ive used nothing agitates or is faster then a lyman tumbler. At the time i couldnt find one so i bought another cheap frankfort arsonal the old one i had was actually a pretty good tumbler that had many trouble free hours on it. It to agitates better then the dillon but again the dillon holds about 4 times the brass so its faster overal. I wish lyman would come out with a bigger unit. I about cant get along without my big dillon but sure wish it did agatate faster so brass cleaning times werent so long.

mike in co
12-31-2009, 01:40 PM
I about cant get along without my big dillon but sure wish it did agatate faster so brass cleaning times werent so long.

i do not know what you are doing or using, but

i use 14/20 corn cob and nu finish car polish(optional) .
i run 10-14 lbs of brass with 5 lbs of corn cob.
run time one hour( the exception is winter 223 brass that gets 2 hrs)
alway done in one hour...always bright and shinny.
the machines work best when close to full.

i use a load of corn cob for about a month and throw it out.
it will have about a full bottle of nu finish in it by then...one cap full at a time.
i do polish a lot of brass....

the timer and full machines is the answer.

mike in co
THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

Lloyd Smale
01-01-2010, 08:49 AM
i use corn cob and nu finish myself mike. I can clean cases in an hour if they were my own cases that were clean before they were loaded but range brass and boughten once fired can take much longer then that. Ive had brass that has taken all night to clean. You can just look in the dillon when its running and see its moving media about half as fast as the other tumblers. Like i said its a ballance. It may agitate less but it sure holds more brass and that makes its overall much faster for me when im cleaning something like 45acps or 223s that i do in big piles.

mike in co
01-01-2010, 11:57 AM
i use corn cob and nu finish myself mike. I can clean cases in an hour if they were my own cases that were clean before they were loaded but range brass and boughten once fired can take much longer then that. Ive had brass that has taken all night to clean. You can just look in the dillon when its running and see its moving media about half as fast as the other tumblers. Like i said its a ballance. It may agitate less but it sure holds more brass and that makes its overall much faster for me when im cleaning something like 45acps or 223s that i do in big piles.

14 lbs of 223 at a time aprox 1000
13 lbs of 45acp at a time aprox 1000
with a timer, without a timer i burned up a dillon in 6 months.
i scrap stuff that has aged/tarnished to a dark color...
most of mine is for retail sales..
mike in co

6bg6ga
08-20-2015, 07:08 AM
Ran across this thread when I was searching for something else and thought I would comment.Have had my 650 for several years now. Have had one bent decapping pin due to not watching things close enough and the pin came loose. Took the pin out and straighened it and I learned to watch this aspect of machine operation and zero problems since then. This machine is not for everyone and there is some setup involved in it for proper machine operation. If your not a good setup man then its not the machine for you and your better off sticking to a single stage press.With respect to tumblers.... They all burn up ....simple answer. It doesn't make any difference what make you purchase. To clarify I am speaking about the bowl type tumbler with the motor under the bowl. They are prone to failure simply because of their design. Anytime you mount a weight to the shaft in an attempt to make this imbalance work to setup a vibration you ask for excess wear in the bearings. Typically the bearing nearest to the weight will loosen up and sooner or later the bearing will turn inside the bearing housing. Shortly after this the motor will fail unless you are smart enough to catch this wear condition prior to the motor burning up.

HATCH
08-20-2015, 09:03 AM
Did it take you a long time to dig the 6 foot hole that this thread was buried in??

billt
08-20-2015, 09:20 AM
A 5 year old thread??? Really?

jmorris
08-20-2015, 11:03 AM
Made me laugh, good use of the search function and thanks for not starting another LNL vs 650 thread. It must have took you a while to wade through all the others to find one this old.

6bg6ga
08-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Made me laugh, good use of the search function and thanks for not starting another LNL vs 650 thread. It must have took you a while to wade through all the others to find one this old.Actually it didn't Glad I made you laugh.

jmorris
08-20-2015, 06:37 PM
It was actually the 6 ft hole comment but wouldn't have been possible without the rebirth.

ReloaderFred
08-20-2015, 07:00 PM
Actually, it's a 7 year old thread............

Fred

6bg6ga
08-21-2015, 06:09 AM
Actually, it's a 7 year old thread............

Fred

What's your point? I commented on a thread that I accidentally found when looking for something else. What? I can't do that?:veryconfu

dudel
08-21-2015, 07:46 AM
What's your point? I commented on a thread that I accidentally found when looking for something else. What? I can't do that?:veryconfu

So he resurrects an old thread. On a forum that resurrects old presses! Sounds like a perfect fit.

HATCH
08-21-2015, 07:54 AM
I read the entire thread before I noticed it was OLD.
Then I thought about it . The thread was new to me because at the time I didn't have a 650 so I skipped reading it the first time it was up.
This forum has lots of knowledge that people just have to search for.

daboone
08-21-2015, 09:52 AM
The number of topics posted here would be cut by at least half if folks used the search function and see previously post answers to their questions.;)

ReloaderFred
08-21-2015, 11:12 AM

I was merely correcting the math, Joe. You're free to post whatever you want..............

Fred

dragon813gt
08-21-2015, 11:34 AM
The number of topics posted here would be cut by at least half if folks used the search function and see previously post answers to their questions.;)

Probably more than that. But every forum has the same issue. It's really annoying when there was a thread about a topic two days ago but someone was really lazy and didn't scroll down off the first page ;)

jmorris
08-21-2015, 01:32 PM
The number of topics posted here would be cut by at least half if folks used the search function and see previously post answers to their questions.:wink:

That is why I thanked him. Can't get mad at someone digging up the dead when next Wednesday someone else will start another LNL/650 thread (if it takes that long).

EddieNFL
08-23-2015, 09:46 AM

You get bitched at for posted to an old thread or you get bitched at for not searching for the old thread. I suspect 90 plus percent of topics posted on any forum are repeats.

Internet police need another hobby.

jmort
08-23-2015, 10:20 AM
I don't have a problem with zombie threads. I agree that we are driving in an information circle and that most of the threads are re-runs.

6bg6ga
08-25-2015, 06:55 AM
Gentlemen,I'm just about done with this forum or any other. I brought up a post in the process of trying to find another thread that I was looking for. The result is I have people coming out of the wood work with comments that frankly aren't needed. Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought that we were supposed to find a thread that had been started if possible instead of starting a new thread that basically is identicle with a thread already out there. An example are the countless Star sizer problem thread that are out there still trolling.

jmorris
08-25-2015, 11:27 AM
Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought that we were supposed to find a thread that had been started if possible instead of starting a new thread

You are correct and the last four posts also agreed with you

flyingrhino
08-25-2015, 01:36 PM
Old and dead threads are only old and dead to those that have read them before. They still hold a wealth of information for those of us seeking help.

VHoward
08-25-2015, 08:36 PM
6, Don't leave a forum just because there are some grumpy old men looking for something to grump about. They should be appropriately ignored. You didn't do anything wrong.

M-Tecs
08-25-2015, 09:28 PM
Thanks for bringing this thread up. I had not read it. Just finished reading every post. Fun read.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-30-2015, 10:09 PM
I didn't realize this was an old thread until I found where I had posted. Since the time I posted, I've added a few new things to the arsenal and I'd change about a third of the suggestions I had then to others.

jmorris
08-30-2015, 10:24 PM
I didn't realize this was an old thread until I found where I had posted. Since the time I posted, I've added a few new things to the arsenal and I'd change about a third of the suggestions I had then to others.

What are they?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-02-2015, 12:10 AM
I had to cut and paste, but changes in blue below:

I have been fighting these things since I got them. Got set up to run the case trimmer on the press that loads 223. Double feeds cases continually. Did the same on 45 on a different press. Did the same on another press in 308. I am now dead in the water as far as case trimming goes.

This is just an opinion, but after years or reloading and reading reloading forums, I've determined if you want fast trimming, Giraud is the way to go. Anything else is either inefficient or just doesn't work. Send those on the press trimming units back for a refund. For pistol calibers, don't bother trimming unless you're shooting bullseye at 50 yard targets. After some additional experimentation with new/different equipment, today I would recommend keeping the Dillon trimmer and using it for rifle only. When using for rifle, I would recommend sizing/trimming in one pass through the progressive and primer/powder/bullet seat/crimp/etc in a second pass. This is the most efficient way to reload rifle cartridges progressively and reduces the amount of time one's hands touch the brass. Aging hands with arthritis do not like to do as much manual labor. I do see an adjustment issue above that could likely be addressed if the machine was not defective. That said, different people do better with different approaches to mechanics. I do better with Hornady and RCBS progressives that are auto advance. Others do better with Dillon. I would now say buy what fits you and you are the most comfortable with.

Pulled the universal decapper apart 9 times now to straighten the pin. Bent beyond all recognition. My spare is broken of completely. None of these cases are berdan primed.

I generally deprime in an operation by itself, unless I'm full length resizing. in which case I'll resize on the press, then trim off the press, then return to the progressive for powder, bullet seating and crimp if needed. This is generally the best way to handle progressive rifle reloading, for all the reasons you're having trouble with. Today I would deprime on press, full length resize and trim with a trimmer, all on progressive press, then take off press to tumble as needed to remove brass/sizing lube. Then back to press to finish loading.

Dillons warraunty also leaves alot to be desired. By the time I send the bad part in and get it back I am loooking at 2 weeks.

Used to be, they just send out the bad part. For most progressives, it's a good idea to have a couple of spares of "expendable" items likely to break. If I remember right, you're still new to the presses, there is a learning curve and during it, you're going to break parts. I suggest you remove some items and just get the basic progressive going, then add features on as you gain experience with the press. This allows you to focus on tuning the basic press without an overwhelming number of things going at one time This is still very good advice. Keep it simple stupid (KISS) is still a very good/excellent approach to something someone is new at. I'd add to buy spares of what is known as commonly broken by new user parts by asking on forum.

Sounds like you may be overloading it. Try cutting your quantity of brass in half, then using 1/2 corncorb and 1/2 crushed walnut as a mix. Throw in a capful of Nu Finish car polish with each load of brass and see if things don't improve to the point you'll have enough of a reduction of time between loads you'll end up being more efficient. Or could just be a lemon. Exchange and see if new one works perhaps.

I've had one of those things. Resist the urge. HF sometimes doesn't have "gems." grin Today I would suggest reading the reviews on their website before buying. I'd had good success doing that with a chipper and a pressure washer.

Finally, be patient with the progressives you have. I'm a Hornady LnL man, but also have a close friend with a 650. You have good presses and they should do you a good job, but not everything any company makes, including Dillon, is the best. If you're wanting faster reloading, do the resizing by itself, trim off the press with a Giraud and finish the operation back on the press. Still good advice, but I would add that not everyone is the same, we are all different, so find a progressive that fits you and learn how to adjust and operate it correctly.

Take the time to learn the basic press operations before adding other goodies and the likelihood of items breaking will reduce and your learning curve will become less steep at the same time. Nothing like the old KISS principle to get things going. Simplify your operations, then add as you get the basic stuff smoothed out and running good. Speed will come with familiarity and tuning Still true, though I would add enlisting the help of someone local to you that is used to your machine if you're having problems unless it just doesn't make sense to you how it was designed.

jmorris
09-02-2015, 09:20 AM
Take the time to learn the basic press operations before adding other goodies and the likelihood of items breaking will reduce and your learning curve will become less steep at the same time.

Amen, but then what would we read instead of all of the "_____ sucks" threads.

dragon813gt
09-02-2015, 02:58 PM
Amen, but then what would we read instead of all of the "_____ sucks" threads.

Polls, lots and lots of polls ;)

robertsm53
09-05-2015, 05:37 PM
I have 2 of the 650's and never saw this thread before. I for one am glad it was brought up once again. Although I have not had any long term serious problems I did pick up on a couple of tricks and things to watch for.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
09-07-2015, 01:30 PM
6, Don't leave a forum just because there are some grumpy old men looking for something to grump about. They should be appropriately ignored. You didn't do anything wrong.

How do you know they're not grumpy young men?

EddieNFL
09-07-2015, 08:18 PM
Glad the internet wasn't around when I started loading. If I based purchases on what I read in forums, I would probably be using factory ammo.

VHoward
09-07-2015, 08:31 PM
How do you know they're not grumpy young men?

If they are grumpy, they are old. No matter their chronological age.[smilie=1:

mdatlanta
09-07-2015, 09:17 PM
Thanks for bringing this thread back. I enjoyed it. ��

jmorris
09-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Glad the internet wasn't around when I started loading. If I based purchases on what I read in forums, I would probably be using factory ammo.

Yes, but a lot of stuff was cheaper back then.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/IMG_20131002_232412_453%20-%20Copy_zpspbtemb26.jpg

EddieNFL
09-09-2015, 09:33 PM
Yes, but a lot of stuff was cheaper back then.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/IMG_20131002_232412_453%20-%20Copy_zpspbtemb26.jpg

The first Dillon I ever bought. '85 - '86?

VHoward
09-09-2015, 09:42 PM
People didn't earn as much back then either. But that's not to say the prices didn't go up more than the wages have.

jmorris
09-11-2015, 07:42 PM
You also have a lifetime of free replacement to contend with.

Not to mention a new Ford XLT F150 was $14,000 back then, Ford 1/2 ton trucks average over $40,000 today...they also won't fix an '84 F150 for free today.

VHoward
09-11-2015, 08:05 PM
Yes. I have an XL650 that I paid 2008 prices for. I bought the case collator also. I for 1 know that the 650 does work. In the short time I've had it, I have worn a couple parts out and Dillon replaced them. No hassles, no worries. That was money spent once and will last me the rest of my lifetime and somebody elses too.

Rattlesnake Charlie
09-11-2015, 08:13 PM
I don't have a 650. I have a 550B. Setup and changing from caliber to another caliber has been relatively easy. I'd come over for a weekend if we were close. Patience. My dearly departed wife drilled that into me repeatedly when I was ranting and raving. Yes, she was always right.

woodbutcher
09-11-2015, 10:08 PM
[smilie=1: Hi RC.Are`nt they always?Hehehe.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

stranded1980
01-11-2016, 12:31 AM
OK HERE'S THE PROBLEM!!!

The black plastic case feeder bar was catching on the cartridge ejection shoot. GRRRR!!!! I have 2 that are bent badly.
They are sending me new ones.

I know I'm replying to a 8 year old thread, and the thread starter already sold his 650's, but I wanted to comment on his problem for anyone who ever encounters a similar problem.

I bought my 650 used and it had the same problem: the black plastic feeder bar (or otherwise called case insert slide cam part #97082) would catch on the cartridge ejection shoot (part #13470) and bent the side of the chute outward, and as a result, it would not allow the ram to fully descend, unless a lot of pressure was applied. Because it felt like the ram had come to a stop, I would start pulling the lever again and "double feed" a shell.

I called and received from Dillon a new cartridge ejection shoot. The first time I went to use it, I noticed that it too would catch on the case feeder bar. Instead of bending the cartridge ejection shoot (as Duke Nukem mentions he did in post 37) I determined the problem was that the entire shell platform had shifted (part 22060). The platform is held to the ram by 2 bolts that actually have a little play in them. Before those two bolts are tightened, the entire platform needs to be properly aligned to the tool head holes. This is done with a special alignment tool that is placed in the number 2 hole of the tool head using the powder drop die.

With the platform bolts loose in their threads to the ram, raise the ram and platform until the alignment tool is perfectly aligned with the powder drop and priming hole in the platform; then the bolts for the platform are tightened. Once the platform is properly aligned, there is plenty of space between the platform and the cartridge ejection chute.

What I suspect happened to my used press, and to Duke Nukem's, was some pressure was applied to the platform, which shifted the entire platform just a little counterclockwise, resulting in the black plastic case insert slide coming into contact with the ejection chute.

Since it all occurred 8 years ago, it's of course all theory, but if anyone is having a similar problem, and stumbles on this thread, ask Dillon for a new ejection chute and for the alignment tool. Then re-align the entire platform. The alignment tool is the same for the 550B and the 650. I got my alignment tool as part of my previous purchase of a used 550, prior to buying the 650, but I think the alignment tool is free from Dillon. The 550 prior owner had the tool, and it came in handy since I had to tear down every last bolt on that 550 in order to clean out dried grease and a filthy ram. Did the same on the 650. Both run fantastic.

Just Duke
01-11-2016, 01:00 AM
I bought my 650 used and it had the same problem: the black plastic feeder bar (or otherwise called case insert slide cam part #97082) would catch on the cartridge ejection shoot (part #13470) and bent the side of the chute outward, and as a result, it would not allow the ram to fully descend, unless a lot of pressure was applied. Because it felt like the ram had come to a stop, I would start pulling the lever again and "double feed" a shell.

I called and received from Dillon a new cartridge ejection shoot. The first time I went to use it, I noticed that it too would catch on the case feeder bar. Instead of bending the cartridge ejection shoot (as Duke Nukem mentions he did in post 37) I determined the problem was that the entire shell platform had shifted (part 22060). The platform is held to the ram by 2 bolts that actually have a little play in them. Before those two bolts are tightened, the entire platform needs to be properly aligned to the tool head holes. This is done with a special alignment tool that is placed in the number 2 hole of the tool head using the powder drop die.

What I suspect happened to my used press, and to Duke Nukem's, was some pressure was applied to the platform, which shifted the entire platform just a little counterclockwise, resulting in the black plastic case insert slide coming into contact with the ejection chute.

You got it.

6bg6ga
01-16-2016, 12:09 PM
The more complicated the machine is the more you have to pay attention to every detail. I had a person try out my Dillon 650 that was setup for 9mm and had him watch me run the machine as I explained the various things to watch for and I proceeded to head to the restroom. I came back to find he had broken the primer punch in the FL resizing die. He shook his head and commented that it took more concentration than his RCBS rock chucker. My comment is the machine is more complicated than most and attention has to be paid to every aspec of the machine and if not its easy to miss something small that could result in the machine having a malfunction that needs immediate attention. As they are shipped they function as they should but this doesn't mean that one shouldn't go over the machine inch by inch to make sure things are lined up and tight as they should be. An ounce of prevention goes a long way here.

jmorris
01-16-2016, 12:39 PM
The more complicated the machine is the more you have to pay attention to every detail.

I don't know about that, back in the old days people that owned "simple" cars knew how to adjust valves and points because they had to. These days people don't even know how to change their own oil.

I knew a young girl that had a new car and someone asked her how much gas it held. She answered, "Duh, a full tank."

Why we have things today that are actually quite complicated but save the unknowing from themselves.

StuBach
01-17-2016, 12:57 PM
Lots of comments on here that are helpful. To throw my two cents in also in support of Dillon's Equipment. In 2008 my wife and I were reloading on my father's 1980's 550b and and several pieces all of a sudden snap (at this time I don't recall what exactly broke) but we were able to remove the pieces and just had to be more careful in how we worked the machine going forward to finish our loading. Afterward, Dad called Dillon and was informed that several years prior Dillon had upgraded that particular assembly and quickly asked for his new address to ship him all the new parts free of charge. 550b has run like a dream ever since.

When setting up my own setup I opted for the 650 because I had been using the 550 since Dad got it originally but liked the idea of the powder cop. Like others have stated, took a lot of time to review the manual and learn the ins and outs of the machine before I ever put brass in. All progressives have some sort of learning curve and if your going that route you need to make sure you understand your machine inside and out otherwise you will cause yourself grief. While Dillon's may have a harder learning curve, they will have my support until I die just cause their No-B.S. Warranty truly is amazing and they care about their customers.

Grandpa always used to say, if it don't fit...fine a bigger hammer. In the case of Dillon's that isn't the case, if you feel resistance there's something wrong and you need to back off and find the problem otherwise you might just break something.

jmorris
01-17-2016, 02:49 PM
if you feel resistance there's something wrong and you need to back off and find the problem otherwise you might just break something.

Sound advice for reloading anything on any machine.