PDA

View Full Version : trouble shooting my Ruger SBH .44

randy_68
08-02-2016, 11:51 AM
This is my second Super Blackhawk, the first being a Hunter model. This one is a 1987 model that I just picked up used. It seems no matter what load I shoot in it, it groups way high and left, like 8-10" for both at 25 yards. Now I'm not the best pistol shot but I know I am much better than that. I have the rear sight adjusted all the way down and it is almost all the way to the right and I still can't get the groups close to center. MY loads consisted of RCBS44-250 over 9.5 gr Unique and some Noe 432-265 over 19.5 gr H110 and some Lee 430-310 over H110. I have a S&W 629-2 that I can shoot to poa with the rcbs load and the Noe is pretty close but this Ruger has me stumped. I thought it might be my hold or trigger pull but I really concentrated on my shots and it made no difference. One thing might be the grip as it has a Houge rubber grip on it and it seems a little big for my hand. My boolits were sized at .431 and after shooting I noticed just a few shavings in the cyl at the leading edge of the throat. I tried sliding them in and they were pretty snug so I resized some to .430 and they just slide in now, but I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet. Also I haven't tried any jacketed or factory loads as I don't have any on hand.

Any advice on what to look for or change. Before I started shooting it I cleaned the barrel and cyl, etc . No leading in the barrel after shooting either.

My hunter model shot fine, as does my 629-2 and my 686 etc. Hell my M&P 9 shoots better.

I've just never ran into a pistol that shot this far off. Maybe there was a reason the other guy traded it in.

rintinglen
08-02-2016, 01:21 PM
Clamp the gun gently in a vice and place a level on the top strap to assure that the top strap is level, side to side. carefully look at the revolver from the rear and see how the front sight looks. I'd be inclined to believe that it cants slightly to the right. If that is the case, a gunsmith can torque the barrel a smidgeon to the left, which should center the groups over the front sight.

I suspect that someone has shortened the front sight, either to allow more elevation at long range or to center lighter boolits. If that is the case, it is not optimal. You will need either a lower rear sight or a higher front sight. About an eighth of an inch regardless of which way you go.

cainttype
08-02-2016, 06:14 PM
There have been different rear blades offered for Rugers in the past, maybe you have a tall rear blade and need a shorter version. Ruger might have a free replacement if you contact them.
After making sure your adjustment screw is not bottoming out on the cylinder (having already passed through the frame), it is sometimes possible to remove a little material from the bottom of the sight to gain more downward adjustment. This can usually be easily done using a hand file only where the sight makes contact at the rear.

Generally with common pistol ranges, heavy bullets typically shoot higher than light, and slower loads shoot higher than fast when using the same bullet weight.
Why keep that in mind??? Well, I have a 44 revolver that was built for longer than normal ranges. Anything but full power loads with bullets of 250 grains or more will print high... period.

Lastly, tweaking a barrel left or right MIGHT be feasible to adjust some windage. If your barrel cooperates, remember that the ejector shroud can only be tweaked so much before you encounter problems.
Clamping the barrel in a heavy vise, well-padded to prevent any marring of your finish, and using a couple foot of hardwood cut to fit the frame, once the cylinder is removed, is often all you need.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-02-2016, 07:15 PM
I just checked the rear sight on my SBH 44 magnum 7 1/2 barrel the rear sight is 3.42 and the blade is 1.55
if that helps you at all
just thought i would post a link for you if you think you need a rear sight https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1402830A.htm

daniel lawecki
08-02-2016, 07:51 PM
My SBH bought around 2001 the barrel was turned to far to the left. I bought this gun new so it was a factory snafu.

DougGuy
08-02-2016, 08:07 PM
I'd call Ruger on that one. Generally if they get a revolver in for repair, and it won't group for them they fix it. If there's something fundamentally wrong with it, you will pull your hair out and still never get it to come in.

randy_68
08-02-2016, 08:26 PM
I just checked the rear sight on my SBH 44 magnum 7 1/2 barrel the rear sight is 3.42 and the blade is 1.55
if that helps you at all
just thought i would post a link for you if you think you need a rear sight https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1402830A.htm
I just bought this gun used and it had a scope on it but I want to use open sights so I ordered a factory rear sight. I'm not sure what those numbers you posted mean and how to tell what I have. The barrel is straight and the sight appears centered. Also the front sight doesnt look like it has been messed with.
The only other thing I noticed is the cylinder has some forward and rearward movement plus some wiggle side to side. Not a lot but it is noticeable. I'm going to try some lighter loads and see what happens.

Blackwater
08-02-2016, 08:26 PM
You've gotten good advice above. First thing I'd do is, if you've been shooting heavy bullets at lower, more moderate speeds, I'd try some full loads, and maybe a lighter bullet also. That can bring POI down significantly.

Next, I'd also ensure you're gripping the grip with a very firm handshake type pressure. It really does matter how firmly you grip the gun. Not "tight," but just firm, like a good, firm handshake, but not tight enough to hurt a teenager's hands if you shook them. Too loose a grip often makes for vertical dispersion on target and higher POI's.

If that doesn't work, and you don't want to send the gun back to Ruger, get a GOOD 'smith to weld a bead on top of the front sight, and file it back down to factory contour, and reblue it. Then just trim it down as needed for your heaviest/lowest loads. I like a white insert in my front sights. Just helps me see them in low light. This would be a good time to get that done too, if you like other than black sights. For field guns, I've found the white inserts show up best for me, but others like yellow, orange or red. It all depends on your eyes and what colors you see best, and of course, the background where you're usually hunting, too. It's cheaper to get it all done at once.

One last trick that you might try. Get some thickish tape and put 2 or 3 wraps around the very top of your grip. This keeps the grip from sliding down in your hand as much as usual, and for some, CAN lower the POI. If this works, you may need some new grips with a larger girth at top in order to do your best shooting with it.

There are many factors that go into these things, but the above info you've already received, and maybe some of what I've listed here, can at least sometimes help get things back like you want it to shoot. Sure is satisfying to hit what you're shooting at!

LUCKYDAWG13
08-02-2016, 09:01 PM
I just bought this gun used and it had a scope on it but I want to use open sights so I ordered a factory rear sight. I'm not sure what those numbers you posted mean and how to tell what I have. The barrel is straight and the sight appears centered. Also the front sight doesnt look like it has been messed with.
The only other thing I noticed is the cylinder has some forward and rearward movement plus some wiggle side to side. Not a lot but it is noticeable. I'm going to try some lighter loads and see what happens.
sorry the blade off the sight base is 1.55 tall and the blade on the sight base is 3.42 I put a bowen rear sight on my SBH so i just put my calipers on it

Bookworm
08-02-2016, 09:31 PM
The way I understand the problem, is that the firearm does print a group, just not where you want it.
Unless there is something physically wrong with the revolver, I don't think Ruger will "fix" a firearm that will group.
I had a conversation with them some time ago about a SBHH of mine that wouldn't do better than 4" at 25yds. I was told that their standard was 2" @ 10yds, rested, by their shooter. Simple geometry told me it was useless to send it back.
My point - they don't specify a zero, just a group.

I would suggest calling Ruger to see what they say, YMMV.

I ended up sending mine to Long Hunter in Amarillo. They moved the entire cylinder over to the left .010" to get it lined up with the barrel, and most of my problem disappeared.

randy_68
08-03-2016, 06:37 AM
Thanks for all the great replies. You all have given me plenty of things to check out and look for. One thing I thought if last nite was maybe the way I'm resting the gun . I will do some more shooting and let you know the outcome.

str8wal
08-05-2016, 10:30 AM
Thanks for all the great replies. You all have given me plenty of things to check out and look for. One thing I thought if last nite was maybe the way I'm resting the gun . I will do some more shooting and let you know the outcome.

Try shooting without resting the gun. Try resting your forearms/wrists on the bags and hold the gun with your hands. Don't worry if you wiggle a little, if you employ a proper trigger control/press you will hit what you are aiming at. Resting a revolver incorrectly can cause shots to fly erratically.

cpaspr
08-05-2016, 03:37 PM
sorry the blade off the sight base is 1.55 tall and the blade on the sight base is 3.42 I put a bowen rear sight on my SBH so i just put my calipers on it

Luckydawg - What measurement unit are you using? Inches, millimeters, etc?

LUCKYDAWG13
08-05-2016, 08:41 PM
Luckydawg - What measurement unit are you using? Inches, millimeters, etc?
inches

44man
08-07-2016, 12:12 PM
Several things, are you holding too high and your finger is near 45° to the trigger? Are you holding too light and it ROLLS?
High might need a new front sight but left might be you but both above things can cause it.
However, it could be the gun too.
I bought a new Mark II 5" bull barrel target long ago. I could not hit a barn from inside. I found I was hitting the ground 10 feet in front of me. The bore was perfect, barrel on straight, bore centered and crown perfect, rifling was as good as it gets. Very tight fit to the frame so I found nothing to cause it.
I sent it to Ruger and they sent me a new gun with no explanation to what was wrong. The new one was a tack driver.

paraord
08-07-2016, 06:43 PM
I've had stellar customer service with Ruger and wouldn't hesitate to call on any issue new or used. Can't put any help towards why it's doing what it's doing but if you are thinking it's a gun issue they will take care of you and most likely on their dime. Great people to work with

DougGuy
08-07-2016, 07:03 PM
I repeat....

I'd call Ruger on that one. Generally if they get a revolver in for repair, and it won't group for them they fix it. If there's something fundamentally wrong with it, you will pull your hair out and still never get it to come in.

44man
08-09-2016, 09:40 AM
The "roll" followers do not understand torque and the direction of the rifling either. Left or right hand twist. The boolit going down the bore will twist the gun depending. You get barrel rise and also a twist. I have seen torque so bad it spun the gun under the red dots or scope to turn them in tight rings.
A firm, correct grip will reduce torque along with rise.
I will be disputed because rag writers tout such stuff but when have you seen one that could SHOOT? Ransom rest or 20 yards. 7 yards with carry.
I will go with the best shooters that squeeze blood from a rock. When have you seen a rag writer test at 100 yards or more with a revolver? The best steel shooters can make them look sick.
Why does anyone follow them? Bob was lost but we have Jerry. Elmer is long gone but show where he said to "roll" a gun. I have his books. He made the number 5 grip to halt "roll".

birddog
08-09-2016, 10:48 PM
Well find a randsom rest and 24 gr of WW296 behind the Hornady 240gr XTP and tell me how they group. If it doesn't shot with that load sell it and don't look back!! As far as shot placement with the gun 99% is grip holding! Don't feel bad just shoot more.
Charlie

Tar Heel
08-09-2016, 11:17 PM
I have a BH in 45 Colt that did that too. I ended up deepening the rear sight notch with a half-round file and filing down the blade appropriately. Gun now shoots to POI with standard 45 Colt loads. The thing drove me nuts for a while. I don't know the cause of the problem.

44man
08-10-2016, 08:26 AM
Well find a randsom rest and 24 gr of WW296 behind the Hornady 240gr XTP and tell me how they group. If it doesn't shot with that load sell it and don't look back!! As far as shot placement with the gun 99% is grip holding! Don't feel bad just shoot more.
Charlie
True, most accurate load EVER. That was my IHMSA load but the Hornady 240 SIL bullet wanted 23.5 gr of 296 and a Fed 150 primer. Get away from mag primers and watch the gun shine.

ironhead7544
08-10-2016, 10:49 AM
Charlie

+1 on this. I use the same load to check accuracy of any 44 Magnum.

lightload
08-14-2016, 04:50 PM
Double and triple ditto on calling Ruger. If they can't fix it, then the gun has a real problem. Ruger can identify alignment issues easily.