PDA

View Full Version : Cost to take the 41 Colt plunge?

smkummer
08-02-2016, 11:08 AM
This is something I really don't need to do. I have avoided the Winchester calibers in handguns but I now load for 32-20, 38-40 and 44-40. And since I have the Lyman 195 grain bullet for 38 special, I really don't need a 41. I am still interested. So dies, brass and mold. A hollow base mold seems like too much work, I would rather have a outside lubed bullet but can I crimp a outside lubed bullet? Is RCBS the only source for dies? Starling for brass. Who makes a mold and what style? I have access to a tire shop for all kinds of lead, including dead soft stick ones. Maybe I should get the reloading stuff first then the easy part would be to find the gun. Right now an army special or neglected SAA or Bisley would stir my interest. Thanks to all that respond.

dverna
08-02-2016, 11:55 AM
Well. if this is something you really don't need to do, why do it? Seems like a lot of money for a caliber that has no advantage over your current ones.

I have had all my SAA is straight walled cases as I like using carbide dies. I think a .44 Spl would be a better choice than the .41. I love my .357's and I can use cheap .38 Spl cases.

smkummer
08-02-2016, 12:02 PM
It's the fun and challenge of making something old and obsolete work again. I would only do this if I found the gun for a bargain. I was hoping a friend or shooting buddy had this old gun. Then I could do it without having to own it. But thanks for your shot of reasoning.

bangerjim
08-02-2016, 12:09 PM
If I were you, I would save my money for something you REALY need. A Colt41 is an odd ball and will just be a black hole that sucks even more money in the future trying to load for it.

I stick to standard cal 100%....no oddballs in my group.

But do what your pocketbook lets you do.

bangerjim

rintinglen
08-02-2016, 12:34 PM
It's your money and your time.

I had an Army Special in 41 Colt for a while back in the late 70's. I fiddled around with it for about 6 months and realized that there was a reason that the old timers had let it die on the vine. Quite simply, it stank. At best,Mediocre accuracy, major pain in the buttocks casting Lyman hollow base boolits and brass was only available by purchasing "new, old stock" ammo. The 41 is something I can easily walk away from.

victorfox
08-02-2016, 12:50 PM
You only live once. And in America, life is good. Do we really NEED all the firearms one has? I think not. Most would be well served with a pump shotgun, a handgun and one rifle. I would pass well with only one handgun...

Costs aside, I would do if I could.

http://harryo.sixshootercommunity.org/

bedbugbilly
08-02-2016, 01:07 PM
smkummer - I feel your pain. I don't have a 41 and probably never will . . but I like old cartridges and enjoy adding them to the line up . . BUT . . . . everything I do add something, it's not the cost of the mold (I should say molds), brass, dies, etc. . . . it's the price of adding another wheeelgun and caliber. I am all set up to load 32-20 . . . brass, standard dies, Lyman 310 dies, old Ideal loading tong with the mold . . . but have nothing to shoot them in. I'm still looking for a decent wheelmen that isn't an arm and a leg. I load plenty of 38 Colt Shorts, Longs, Specials and 357 as well as 45 Colt and Schofield.

As much as I enjoy trying new things, dverna and bangerjim pretty much sum up what I have learned. I will stick with the straight walled pistols. At some point, I do want to load the 32 cal but am strongly thinking of looking in the direction of finding something that I can shoot 32 S & W in.

I used to figure that adding a new cartridge would cost at least $100 . . . some brass, a cheap Lee mold if I couldn't find a used Ideal/Lyman,etc. and a set of Lee dies . . . but it doesn't seem to end there . . . it just grows! At my age, I'm starting to "down size" so am planning to stick with what I'm reloading now. BUT . . I admire those that love the challenge of adding new things. In the end, you only go through life once and this isn't a "practice run". If you want to add the 41 and can afford to do so . . . then go for it. I had always wanted to load and shoot 45 Colt & Schofield because of the history of the cartridge. I went ahead and got brass, molds, dies, etc. and ended up with a Uberti 7 1/2" Cattleman. I can scratch the 45 Colt off of my "bucket list" and am so glad I added it as I love the handgun and the cartridge - both smokeless and BP. If you add the 41 and don't like it, you can always sell off your 41 stuff and say that you tried it!

Good luck to you.

smkummer
08-02-2016, 01:42 PM
Victor fox, thanks so much for the link. It was the army special I was interested in the most and it appears the only chance to make that one shoot is with hollow base bullets. Common sense should steer me away from this all together.

victorfox
08-02-2016, 02:06 PM
Yes, i think so. Like I said, if you have the means and the desire, go for it. If your means are limited, well, the you must follow reason and leave most toys behind... As an avid firearm and shooting enthusiast, I feel what you mean, and living down here in brazil where nothing cooperates to what I consider my main hobby and interest, I know how frustrating somethings can be. Best regards

robertbank
08-02-2016, 02:25 PM
I have my Great Grand dads old DA 41LC as opposed to the 41Short. A few years back I scored the three Lyman molds for the 41LC, actually one was for the .41SC. I make cases out of 38spl cases and have had fun with the gun. I have not loaded or shot the gun for some time now. Every so often I get the itch to play with it again but fear of breaking the forcing cone on the old girl has kept me from shooting the gun. That and being a bit lazy. Maybe next year....

Take Care

Bob

Wayne Smith
08-02-2016, 03:59 PM
Starline makes the brass. When I bought my Uberti I was told that they were being discontinued, but I still see the caliber listed in the Cimmarron adds. I believe Uberti is still making it, is Cimmarron still carring it? I have a Lee Mold I got from HarryO, a Walt made mold that I had Buckshot alter. Both are heeled. I use the Lee mold most, it is longer and my brass is cut to it. (you cut the brass back to the length that a loaded round will chamber). I can use the other boolits but they have a longer jump to the barrel.

I very much enjoy shooting mine. The Uberti is the Colt Lightening frame with down sized Peacemaker internals. It is a single action.

I just checked, my dies are Redding, so RCBS isn't the only choice. I'd bet Lyman carries/carried them, too.

reddog81
08-02-2016, 08:04 PM
I found a decent deal on a Colt in .41 LC earlier this year. After a couple minutes researching the round I decided to pass on it. If I recall correctly the guns had a variety of bore, throat, and chamber dimensions making any sort of accuracy a real challenge. These concerns on top of the difficulty casting and reloading heeled bullets made it an easy decision to walk away from that deal.

robertbank
08-02-2016, 08:22 PM
I found a decent deal on a Colt in .41 LC earlier this year. After a couple minutes researching the round I decided to pass on it. If I recall correctly the guns had a variety of bore, throat, and chamber dimensions making any sort of accuracy a real challenge. These concerns on top of the difficulty casting and reloading heeled bullets made it an easy decision to walk away from that deal.

You really have to be in love with the cartridge or want a challenge. I did it for obvious reasons. My gun had exactly six rounds through it in almost 50 years when I got it after Grand dad passed. I think at best at 7 yards my gun will shoot minute of chest but it will stop whatever is coming at you on two legs. That I have no doubt.

Take Care

Wayne Smith
08-02-2016, 08:39 PM
If the Uberti is still available you can get a new gun cheaper than a SSA or Bisley. An Army Special would likely be cheaper. You did ask cost.

Boogieman
08-02-2016, 09:02 PM
You could convert a 38-40 , just rechamber a 38spl. cylinder and have a convertible

victorfox
08-02-2016, 09:26 PM
Boogie 38-40 (edit: wrote 30-40 late in the night...) is actually .40 caliber like the 40S&W

hpbear101
08-02-2016, 09:35 PM
I have the Colt DA in .41. I bought Redding dies (Probably from BACO), I use bullets from Western Bullet CO. they are a .386 185 gr hollow base from a Rapine 386185 mold. I don't shoot it enough for it to be a priority for purchasing a mold although if I ever come across a mold at a good price I would buy one. The .386185 bullet shoots surprisingly well with Bullseye. I also have a 1st gen SAA in 38-40 and eventually will come up with a .41 cylinder for it.

Tom

Piedmont
08-03-2016, 12:00 PM
This makes no sense, so I think you should do it! Seriously. I'm a kindred spirit and have been resisting a Uberti SAA in .38-40 with a custom .40 S&W cylinder to be made for it to get the cheap brass angle. Unfortunately I too have a no new caliber rule (like that hasn't been broken before!) and both these chamberings would be new calibers. Also, to get the cheap .40 S&W brass it would cost several hundred dollars in gunsmithing, parts, and tooling up to load a new caliber.

Hey, you could take my idea and add .41 Colt and have a 3 caliber convertible.

Sometimes you get an itch you just have to scratch. My policy has been to sit on that itch for a while (years) and eventually, if it is still there, do something about it.

victorfox
08-03-2016, 01:52 PM
Piedmont, you should do it too. Check Chev. Willians Ruger Single 8 .25acp! He rechambered and rebarreled a .22 Mag and made one of the coolest guns I've seen around... It's sort of a hot rod of guns... One of a kind... His work is both unique and awesome!!

Boogieman
08-03-2016, 07:41 PM
The 38-40 & 41 Long Colt both use the same size bore. A 38-40 chamber will not rechamber to 41 Colt, the base is too big. A 38 spl. can be recut to 41Colt. Ruger made some Blackhawk in 38-40/40 S&W These could be fitted with a 41 Colt cylinder.

victorfox
08-03-2016, 10:03 PM
Sorry, I understood you were talking 38spl vs 38-40. Now I get what you mean. This would make the project ubber cool :lol:

smkummer
08-04-2016, 08:59 AM
Thanks everyone. I am a Colt collector/shooter. Meaning I own no safe queens. If I can't shoot it, I won't own it. I am blessed with more funds than I know how to spend. But still live modestly, maybe too much. I own a 1940 Indian Chief and some Harley golf carts. I like working on old stuff. I have made an original Rem. 43 Egyptian rolling block shoot well. With all that said, I will revert to placing the 41 Colt on the back burner and only if the opportunity presents itself at a opportunity that I can't refuse. It appears that obtaining the gun is the easy part, obtaining the mold, dies and brass for a reasonable price may be a challenge.

9.3X62AL
08-06-2016, 01:43 AM
I am the LAST member here that would ever recommend against taking a flyer at an oddball caliber--I am a complete pushover for out-of-print chamberings. Just before I retired (Summer 2004) I had a chance at a VERY NICE Colt SAA in 41 LC, so I set out to research the ins and outs of making ammo for it. Heeled bullet or hollow base......I heard good and bad about both methods. Starline brass in the caliber didn't exist at that time. I decided against the matter. I might choose differently today. My thoughts were that a heeled bullet of groove diameter, blunt RN profile, with at least half its length between heel and nose ogive at full caliber might make things fly true.

35 Whelen
08-12-2016, 11:13 PM
Well, if anyone is interested, I happen to have a 41 Colt reloading package I'm selling. Redding 3-die set, brand new and 100 brand new pieces of Starline brass. I traded my 41 Colt off before I had a chance to do any reloading. http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Auctions/41%20Colt%20dies%20and%20brass_zpsqfno77fb.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Auctions/41%20Colt%20dies%20and%20brass_zpsqfno77fb.jpg.htm l)

Miha had a run for a hollowbase 41 Colt mould not long ago. I bet anything he has an extra or two.

Selling the lot and shipping it cheaper than you can buy it. PM if interested. (Hope I'm not breaking any rules!!)

35W

Never mind..it all sold

victorfox
08-14-2016, 12:54 AM
If it was me, I wouldn't let pass... :guntootsmiley:

Drm50
08-14-2016, 02:48 AM
Neighbor has a Bisley 41 colt. Was bought new at a local hardware for 20 some dollars during the
depression. The sales slip is in the original box with it. Gun is plain Jane 41/2" with gutta percha
grips. Gun is in excellent shape. He had 100 rds made for it several years ago. I think brass was
made from 401 Herters, Power Mags. Bullets are cast RN, I have no idea the source. He also has
a partial box of factory, which he keeps as collector's item. The only bad thing about gun is that
it can't be bought. I did get to fire 3 rds from it one 4th of July, neighbor is stingy with his Ammo,
he fired the other 3.

smkummer
08-14-2016, 07:52 AM
Tell your neighbor that at least 3 smaller ammo manufactures make new 41 Colt ammo, it retails for about $72 per 50. I am guessing the empties can be shipped to someone who would reload them as well. Keep working on that Bisley as that would defiantly make me do the 41 Colt plunge!

Wayne Smith
08-14-2016, 05:40 PM
DRM- if you cast and load you can load for it - Redding dies and Starline brass. Starline brass uses the .38 Special shell holder. If you need boolits I can send you some heeled boolits. You will have to cut the brass back to fit his cylinder - make a dummy and put it in the cylinder - measure the boolit protrusion. That amount plus a little is what is needed to trim off. Bernie at Old West makes the molds and modifies a Lee FCD die to crimp the heeled boolit - works well. Maybe you can get him to leave it to you if you get it shooting again??