PDA

View Full Version : Any one have any experience with 22 k hornet JR?

shawnba67
08-02-2016, 10:55 AM
I picked up for a pittance a k hornet jr reamer. It was described as .750 from front of rim to shoulder. I thought worst case i could machine away the rim cutting portion and use it as a reg k hornet, or shorten a set of dies to fit it. But then i got to thinking bout the lack of data and my intended use as a shotgun insert barrel i dont have the extra strength to fudge it. Any one ever have any dealings with the JR?

Blackwater
08-02-2016, 07:57 PM
Is this akin to the .22 Squirrel, a shortened and "improved" .22 Hornet case? If so, it sounds like a good caliber for chambering some of the stronger .22 bolt actions, like the Rem. 580 series. I have an old 580 that I've been vascillating about what to do with it as to chambering. Now, you can actually shoot the smaller .22 centerfires with cast cheaper than you can the rimfires, AND you'd have the liberty of having light loads for edible game, and heavier stuff for larger varmints, and shoot them all from the same gun. I've also thought about the 5.7x28, but for the little 580 actions, would probably run the remer in .030-.060" short, and grind the like amount off the bottom of the sizer and seater dies. This would give a little extra on the upper end, ballistically, and I'd keep the loads down into the 40K psi range, or maybe even lower for the top loads. This larger case would take more powder to achieve the same velocity on the low end for .22 LR like performance, though. Sometimes, making up one's mind is the hardest part of these things. And there's nothing prodding me to git-r-done, so .... I keep vascillating. Hornet brass is cheaper but probably wouldn't last as long? Lots to figure in such things, which keeps me vascillating.

Do you chamber barrels regularly? Have you ever done a Rem. 580 RF action? And converted the bolt to CF?

shawnba67
08-03-2016, 10:38 AM
i do not have any experience converting rimfire or even chambering im just getting my feet wet with some projects i had in mind for sometime that werent cost effective without free labor!

rking22
08-03-2016, 07:37 PM
Don't have any experience with it , but would be pretty interested in the reamer if you decide to go another way :)
Suspect it is intended as a revolver round, just a guess.