PDA

View Full Version : Need some molds

The Governor
08-01-2016, 09:27 PM
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/burley_bucket/need%20molds.jpg

Hi, need some molds. Cast some .45 ACP and 9 mm so far and want to cast lead balls and such.
My scavenger BIL got us a bucket of wheel weights and we're ready to rock.
First off, I want to cast for my S&W target masterpiece .38 special. Then, .44 cal for the BP revolver and .50 cal for the little cannon and the BP single shot.
So far all I've used have been the Lee double cavity and they seem to be pretty good so far.
Thanks a bunch!

Butchman205
08-01-2016, 10:09 PM
Welcome to the forum!
I'm sure you can find what you need here, this forum is infested with good folks.

-Butchman

wv109323
08-01-2016, 10:37 PM
Welcome to the forum. Watch the Swappin'and Sellin' section. Have your money ready as things don't last to long.

smoked turkey
08-01-2016, 11:35 PM
Welcome Governor! Reading the "stickies" that are posted at the beginning of several of the different sections will give you a jump start to the many many facets of this hobby. I would also recommend that you purchase a few reloading manuals as well as the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual (actually we call the projectile by the real name-"boolit" to distinguish the lead projectiles them from the J-word variety.) Jump in with both feet. Don't hesitate to ask questions about any portion of this hobby and I am sure some knowledgeable person will be along shortly to answer it.

beechbum444
08-02-2016, 01:45 AM
I think that is a CVA 45 caliber pistol. The PDF/ booklet for it is on their website. The barrel may say 45 cal, but the book says it takes a .440 cast boolit. S and W model 10's like the Lee tumble lube 158 grainer. I'm also new to the forum. There is a ton of info on here.

longbow
08-03-2016, 12:10 AM
You will want to be using soft lead for the cap 'n ball revolver. WW will likely be hard to ram.

Personally I like my RCBS and Lyman round ball moulds. Lee moulds are inexpensive and a good bang for the buck (pardon the pun) but often require a little tuning up to cast well. The biggest issue seems to be small burrs around the cavities that cause stickers and require a few raps on the hinge with a dowel to shake boolits loose. A bit of Lee-menting will fix that easily ~ see sticky http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?654-Sure-Fire-Lee-Menting-Technique-(Aimoo-Post-Revisited)

Once you are hooked on cast boolits then you have to start making lube for smokeless loads and for BP loads... well, you don't have to but probably will.

Welcome and have fun!

Longbow

runfiverun
08-03-2016, 10:35 AM
I'd focus on each gun and move to the next.
that way you gain a little more knowledge and each one becomes easier as you develop a routine.

if the smith is for paper poking then focus on a wad cutter or semi wad cutter type mold.
keep in mind how your going to lube and size them.
I use star sizers and personally have a preference for a single lube groove to begin with so it works out for me.
others use LEE sizers and tumble lube.
I use tumble lube for a couple of applications also and it works well enough in those situations.

Wayne Smith
08-03-2016, 10:53 AM
Absolutely use pure only for the cap and ball. Anything harder will break your rammer when you ram it into the chamber. You need to have an oversized ball that actually cuts a ring off the ball when you ram it.

The Governor
08-03-2016, 11:09 AM
Thanks to all for the advice. I'll reread as I progress.
I have a lead pig that must weigh 80 pounds for pure lead balls. I just chop it into pieces with an ax.
And I have ordered a 158 SWC Lee for the Smith, along with the sizer and tumble lube.
Probably will shoot it lots more than the BP stuff.
I've been really enjoying learning this aspect of shooting. The casting is new, but I was reloading long ago.
I was bitter about my reloading stuff, (it was left in ex wife's mother's garage), but I have all new gear.