PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Bearcats

historicfirearms
08-01-2016, 09:33 AM
I haven't shot a bearcat since I was a teenager, but I've always had a soft spot for them and wanted to buy one. This past weekend I finally had enough cash saved up for a new one so went to a large sporting goods store to check them out. After handling a few different versions, I have to say I am disappointed. The grip is so small that it was uncomfortable in shooting position. Worse than that is the small trigger guard. My trigger finger had to carefully be inserted to keep it off the trigger, not much room to the point it felt unsafe to me. I'm saddened and have to cross the Bearcat off my list of guns I've always wanted. It's a neat looking, little jewel of a pistol, but it just doesn't work for me. Maybe some larger grip panels would help out with ergonomics but what to do with a small trigger guard? My hands are not huge, I wear XL gloves and a size 11 ring.

contender1
08-01-2016, 09:55 AM
I think many adults feel your pain. I own several Bearcats,,, including a few shooters. But I find the grip frame and especially the triggerguard too small as well. Once I get my hands "into it" they are fine.
Bill built these things as a pocket gun for fisherman. During that era,,, there was a desire for small handguns that could fit into a pocket easily.
My suggestion is to look for a Single-Six to fill your "needs" as it'll fit you much better. And if you can find one with the 4-5/8" bbl,,, you will truly like it!

ReloaderFred
08-01-2016, 11:55 AM
I've owned two Bearcats over the years and ended up selling them both. Like you, I found them too small in my hand and just didn't fit me. They're cute little suckers, though.........

Fred

rintinglen
08-02-2016, 12:41 PM
I don't even wear an XL glove and I find them too small for my mitts. They are neat looking little guns and for the more petite handed amongst us, I think they are just dandy. My 4'11" neice shoots hers just dandily.

mac60
08-02-2016, 05:49 PM
I have one my Papa bought new in 1966. I have small hands, so it fits me well. I carry it when I go squirrel hunting. I love the thing and would never consider selling it.

johniv
08-02-2016, 06:27 PM
I heard one gent many years ago lament that Bill Ruger dident put a spur trigger on the little gun. I can see why he dident, liability wise. I have one bearcat, given to me in pieces, that I like in general, but cant see the sights well enough to use well. Better sights would be my wish.

Blackwater
08-03-2016, 06:25 AM
A friend of mine recently bought a little Sig .380, but just traded it off because it was just too small for his big mitts. When he gripped it carefully, it shot 1" groups at 21 yds., and he really loved the little gun. It just wasn't big enough for his hands, and he was saddened by it, but did the right thing when he traded it off for a 9mm. He shoots the 9mm. very well, and it handles for him like an extension of his arm. Now THAT is what's really useful when you have to hit something precisely and quickly! He's happier, even though he loved the little Sig. It just didn't like him back.