PDA

View Full Version : Will G2 barrel fit older Contender frame?

leftiye
08-01-2016, 05:00 AM
The title says it all will a G2 barrel fit older Contender frame? I've got several older contender frames, and I'm looking at a G2 barrel.

M-Tecs
08-01-2016, 05:24 AM
Yes...

Tatume
08-01-2016, 07:38 AM
Usually. Sometimes the very earliest frames, prior to the "Easy Open" reconfiguration will give trouble with some barrels. These frames have the sliding bar on the hammer, as opposed to the pivoting lever, for selecting center/rim fire. With some barrels they can be VERY difficult to open, much more so than with original equipment barrels. However, they will work.

leftiye
08-01-2016, 08:55 AM
Thanks fellows, I thought so, but didn't want to stick myself with a useless barrel if not.

frkelly74
08-01-2016, 09:04 AM
I have had the experience of needing to change the two piece locking lug to a one piece locking lug on the barrel in order to get easier closing and opening. It went from very hard operation to easy immediately. Maybe some fitting of the two piece lug might be necessary do the same thing.

Rick Hodges
08-01-2016, 11:55 AM
My understanding is that the old "Armaloy" plated frame had some difficulty with interchanging non "Armaloy" barrels. I never had one so can't say for sure.

BCB
08-23-2016, 02:39 PM
Supposed to, BUT, I have several new barrels that will close, but then they won't open again...

All types of "fixes" for this situation, but when I purchase a new vehicle, I don't expect to have to alter the door for it to open and close properly...

If the barrel won't open, it can be a flipper to get it open and remove the barrel from the frame. I had a 'smith alter the arms on the trigger guard that push the locking bolts forward to release the barrel. All seem to work O.K. now...

I stay will older barrels and have no problems...

Good-luck...BCB

mcdaniel.mac
08-23-2016, 02:48 PM
I have a .44 mag barrel that was tight when new. A little oil (NOT ON LOCKING SURFACES) and using two fingers on the lever helped, and it broke in after two boxes of .44 SPL