PDA

View Full Version : Time saving tips for Lee Loader Work Bench

Bmi48219
07-31-2016, 05:39 PM
A few ideas came up while using my crude Lee Loader bench to deprime & size 9mm brass yesterday. Nothing earth shattering. My big issue wth Lee Loaders ( don't get me wrong, I really like them) is having to pick up & put down the various tools each time I deprime or size a casing.
The standard routine is:
put case in holder w/ left hand
pick up deprime pink insert in case
knock primer out with pounder
put pin down
remove deprived case
set another case in she'll holder & repeat.
Having solved the " stopping to remove spent primers from the shell holder" issue in an earlier post i find I can now deprime 30 to 50 cases without setting the deprime pin or pounder down
the first pic shows a bunch of 9 mm brass on top " bench " with one in she'll holder.
2nd pic, grasping deprimer pin between left thumb & forefinger put pin into a case,
using left middle finger to grip case, lift case and set in she'll holder.
3 rd pic,deprime with fingers in same position
pick up deprimed case and drop in box and repeat process without setting down pin or pounder until you have to stack up another batch of cases.
last two pics I used the plastic tray from Federal 9 mm ammo box to hold .30 carbine cases ready for depriming

Bmi48219
07-31-2016, 06:07 PM
This worked good for sizing 9mm, they don't require much force to get out of die, going to try on some 45's next
1st pic is 9 mm deprived case fully driven into sizing die, note pin for driving case out of die is set business end up in hole drilled in 4x4.
2nd pic - die with case sitting on top pin
3rd pic - strike outer edge of die with pounder
4th pick - case free of die, ready to be flicked over into waiting box.
no need to invert die, just drive another case into sizer and keep pounding.

mdi
08-01-2016, 11:53 AM
Good to see someone putting effort to find more methods to use a Lee Loader, and making them public. (prolly my favorite loading tool). I've read waaaay too many posts about how "slow", this "crude" tool is.

Part of my enjoyment using my Lee Loaders is there is absolutely no hurry involved. I developed a "batch load" system to use with my Lee Loaders and that's about as fast as I need to go. If I need more ammo sooner, I'll use my turret press...