PDA

View Full Version : !Need shipping line [transport] who is willing to ship gun powder to Southamerica!!

AJG
07-31-2016, 11:09 AM
Thanks victorfox, dudel. I found how to post a new thread.

I recently asked my FFL dealer and he says GUNPOWDER IS ALLOWED IN THE SOUTHAMERICAN COUNTRY I AM LOCATED.
It is just nobody wants to Transport it. Primers and other reloading Equipment is no Problem as it is legally allowed as he stated. It is just nobody wants to Transport that and even the local countrys army has difficulties to get their powder shipped for their own reloading.

I am scavenging shotshell powder from 12 ga shotshells for reloading 9mm, 38 spl and 357 Magnum. Look up "Scavenging shotshells for reloading".

Anyone knows an shipping line (by ship or plane) who is willing to ship (Transport) gun powder to an Southamerican Country?

Please tell me Name and even phone number so I can pass it along to my FFL exporter-importer. I would be thankfull if anybody could get me contacted to an Skipper (Transporter) who ships it legally to Southamerica.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-31-2016, 01:54 PM
SNIP....
It is just nobody wants to Transport that and even the local countrys army has difficulties to get their powder shipped for their own reloading.
I'm not sure how you'd know this, but let's just say that's true...there must be more to the story? Maybe drug cartels hyjacking shipments ?

AJG
07-31-2016, 03:08 PM
Dear JohnB,

That is what I was told by the gun exporter. Have no clue whats going on. Yes it is true this Country has turned last decade in an drug producing and consuming Country. Sad but true.

Do you know a Company who ships gun powder to a given Country in Southamerica?

Please let me know (I am using it for private reloading only).

toallmy
07-31-2016, 03:14 PM
AJG you should mention wear you are ,South America is quite vague . I am sure there are some import tax and international shipping problems involved .

imashooter2
07-31-2016, 03:20 PM
For exports from the USA, ITAR regulations would apply. I can't see this being economically feasible for quantities that aren't in the thousands of pounds.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-31-2016, 03:24 PM
Sorry, I do not know of any.

warpspeed
07-31-2016, 03:40 PM
Have you asked Hodgdon directly ?

John Boy
07-31-2016, 03:43 PM
* There are no reloading suppliers in any country of South America that sells gunpowder?
* http://images.fedex.com/us/international-resource-center/international_shipping_checklist.pdf
* Call anyone one of these outfitters and determine where they buy their powder
PS: Don't understand why you have to have your powder shipped in from the US. There are many International powder manufacturers that sell their powder world wide!

AJG
07-31-2016, 04:50 PM
They say it is easier to get even ammo from the US than from nearby Argentina or Brazil. Local gun shop says they wait already a couple of years to arrive a Batch of 12 ga ammo from Argentina. All ammo here is eigther from US or Spain.

Reloading Equipment is not a Problem. Primers can be brought easily.

But powder supposedly can be brought if a shipping line (ship) is agreeing to Transport it.

I was hoping a shipping line would give me an answer whom I can then summit to my exporter in the USA.

toallmy
07-31-2016, 05:35 PM
Are you in Uruguay ?

AJG
07-31-2016, 05:50 PM
I want to maintain secret my Location in order nobody can track me.

If SHTF nobody shall know that I am reloading in order they do not storm my house for ammo.

It has to be an US shipper since the powder will be US powder. I contacted the FFL dealer alredy if they can not bring CBC powder from Brazil (it is as good as any powder) and we will see if they can (they are fully licensed locally as well as FFL in the US). Since from Brazil it can be shipped by ground.

toallmy
07-31-2016, 06:05 PM
Alright I will leave it at that , I am thinking of spending winters in Ecuador and they have strong restrictions on type and amount of guns you can legally have . So I have been doing some research . Be safe in your endeavor .

imashooter2
07-31-2016, 06:56 PM
You think you're going to import gunpowder from the US and somehow keep it a secret? Your basic plan is flawed.

leeggen
07-31-2016, 08:45 PM
This makes you wonder if it is a fishing expedition by the 3 letter group. I would not bite at this, it smells.
CD

John Boy
07-31-2016, 09:28 PM
From one of the OP's other posts

I live in an latin country in South America where powder is not legally availlable but all other reloading components yes.
So why post here!
Alternative: Learn how to make your own black powder

AJG
07-31-2016, 10:15 PM
Dear imashooter2 and leeggen,

To avoid unneccesary People know about it. Just exporter-importer and me (and maybe the local governamental gun agency).

Guys. What do you think is going on in Venezuela. I bet you think it is a joke and clearly you have understood nothing.

In the US you have (till now) almost complete liberty. We, here are restricted in all Kind of things. I have no clue what a "3 letter Group fishing Expedition " is.

What the heck are you thingking if you would be located in Iran or China? OBVIOUSLY you will hide all you can your identity and not expose yourself unneccesary to other People.
That is what is heading towards you as well in the US. So start to scavenge powder and lead from shotshells for reloading. It is a usefull skill (although if it gets to that reloading is for sure forbidden by law. And here it got till that ALREADY).
In the 1990's there was powder commercially availlable. But nowadays not anymore. So get that in your heads and remember it.

DerekP Houston
07-31-2016, 10:17 PM
Thank you for the insight, i believe most members here are afraid of that happening in the USA as well. Best of luck in your search I do not personally have any knowledge that might assist you. Stay safe friend. I am watching the Venezuelan situation unfold but would love for more info from a reliable source besides our media.

AJG
07-31-2016, 10:21 PM
By the way. Black powder I tried to make. It did not work satisfactorily.

75% KNO3 (as fertilizer) + 15% charcoal + 10% Sulfur.

Burns but not nearly enough energy and 2 times got stuck a bullet in my 9mm Barrel (hammered it out).
I contacted an chemist and he sayd the Problem is the charcoal since it got air (has to be activated charcoa as for water filtering Systems and has to be kept airtight).

Anybody experience with any combination of KNO3 and aluminum powder? I want to use just KNO3 + aluminum powder.

DerekP Houston
07-31-2016, 10:23 PM
I don't believe black powder would be strong enough to substitute for a smokeless 9mm pressure load. You might try with a 38 special or something around those lines that was originally a BP cartridge. The threads I have read on here using charcoal to make BP have all made their own from willow or suitable similar trees.

AJG
07-31-2016, 10:47 PM
Local charcoal does not lend itsels as it seems for Black powder.

It has to be KNO3 as oxidizer and Aluminum powder as fuel + maybe Sulfur.

toallmy
08-01-2016, 02:50 AM
AJG hear in the U.S. we are in a slow moving loss of gun rights .. taxes , government regulations , from multiple directions . We are far from what you are going through , but slowly heading that direction . I hope you understand if we have trust issues , anything we do could be used against us unless it is completely above scrutiny ( legal ) . Members this should open everyone's eyes , what we take for granted should be cherished .

runfiverun
08-01-2016, 08:37 AM
the U.S. imports most of it's gunpowder from other country's.
Australia, Canada, Sweden.
some is made here, but the majority is from elsewhere.
even china and Russia used to ship powder here.

I'd be inclined to work at getting ADI in Australia to ship it there it might go through customs easier since they wouldn't normally associate gun powder with that country.

MT Gianni
08-01-2016, 09:01 AM
I would consider an annual bus vacation to a large city on the coast. Pretty sure BA or Sao Paulo has what you need and if packaged properly should not be noticed.

AJG
08-01-2016, 08:08 PM
Dear MTGianni,

Yes that is called smuggeling. But that is what People usually do here. I am not going to jail just for being cought smuggeling gun powder.

No. I am with toallmy and you regards "we have to be above scrutinity, above the law". That applies to me as well.

Scavenging shotshells is not that bad as it sounds. AS LONG THEY DO NOT RESTRICT QUANTITY OF AMMO PURCHASE. There was a talk they wanted to restrict quantity of weapons each person can own (I think it was up to 3 weapons) but it got quiet about that. Simply People will Report as lost/stolen the weapons they have and hide them (since allmost never there is a home search from the Police; and I am located in a remote hacienda).

I got today my heritage Rough Rider (Pietta 1873) 357 mag. What a nice surprise. I like it already more than my 9mm. That SAA designs recoils less than a 9mm (Winchester HP 110 grain White box 357 mag factory ammo. My reloading Equipment for 38spl/357 mag hopefully arrives this week as well as the bullet molds since there are not commercially availlable bullets for 357 mag) and if let rolling there is None recoil with These Wood/steel grips. Old beats this time any plastic 9mm semi Auto pistol. No signs of cracks or damages after firing 12 rounds (each 357 mag/38 spl round costs here about 1.2 US$ and that is the cheapest ammo. Each 9mm factory round costs here about 0.75 US$ cheapest ammo). Shoots low but rigth on if I do my part (has to be Held in the middle of the front post in order to shoot rigth on spot) but with reloading every Charge is different so Kentucky hold will do it all. Works perfectly and has a nice Trigger. Just time will tell about the durability. But it seems to be built well and no Play in cylinder (cilinder has actually good chunk of steel so I believe it will stand regular 357 mag loads. I greased with liquid spray grease the gun all over and I am happier with it as I thought I would be (although I hate blued guns because they rust. Unfortunatelly stainless is not very often imported since they end up 3 times the US Price here and nobody can afford). In the USA that gun costs about max 400$ (more like 350$ on a good deal) and here I paid about 700 US$ for it (and it was on "laughable" sale. It is just a joke those local gun Prices if it would not be that sad). I hope nothing breaks since obviously NO Warranty. But Heritage told me if somthing breaks I just call them and they will send me the spare part (that works very nice as I have done it alredy with Mossberg like that).

AJG
08-01-2016, 09:44 PM
Interesting runfivegun,

I thought all US powders are made actually by US companies in the USA. Interesting.

Meanwhile I will reload scavenging shotshells for powder and lead. Local range offered me to collect as many cases I wanted after local Police Forces and Military completed their Training there.
I will hurry to get all my reloading Equipment for 357 mag and 9mm till laws get stricter. As well I will order other caliber die sets before law forbids reloading and they get to know I reload already 9mm (still 9mm mold to arrive for casting). Die set for 38spl/357 mag, Shell holders and various molds are still pending to arrive.
Then I will struggle to get powder over her. Primers seems not to be an issue (I ordered already 10000 small pistol and as well another 6000 small pistol primers)
I hope I get set up fully for reloading various calibers before laws get stricter and make reloading a felony. They already want to mark every cartridge what gets imported so it is a wise idea to collect as much 9mm, 223, 38 and 357 mag and others which are still unmarked.

runfiverun
08-01-2016, 11:41 PM
If you chose your mold carefully and size to 358 you can use the same one for both the 9mm and 357.
they also share powder and primers which makes it a bit easier.

9w1911
08-02-2016, 12:55 AM
Countries with its own arms manufacturing will have a propellant manufacturer like Czech, Russia, Ukraine, India, China, perhaps one will ship, etc. If ammo is easier to get, then buy more ammo.

toallmy
08-02-2016, 06:48 AM
Interesting how easily you can purchase primers , but not powder . If you are allowed to purchase primers legally you should not have a problem with powder , do you have dependable mail service , such as UPS . It's hard for me to understand because I am in a different place in the world . Be very careful with your component harvesting from shot shells .

Wayne Smith
08-02-2016, 09:04 AM
Your revolver was made in Italy by Pietta, just assembled by Heritage. You can go directly to Pietta for parts, they simply mailed them to me from Italy. Collect brass, especially for the .357. Can't have too much of that.

MT Gianni
08-02-2016, 09:41 AM
Smuggling would be bringing a substance illegal to own across a border. A legal substance would be importing in which you may have to pay a tax at the Aduana or they may ignore if declared because they don't know specifics.

victorfox
08-02-2016, 10:35 AM
AJG I think I can feel your pain... We can easily get powder, but not primers, except berdan and 209.This happens to make believe we are allowed to have firearms. They say see we didn't take any reloading, gun ownership right (because teoretically you can have them), but the practice is very far from that.I can't help you with the powder issue either and beg you to be careful playing with homemade blackpowder. It can be done safely, yes, just take care.V.

AJG
08-02-2016, 02:24 PM
Hi to all,

I just ordered directly 10000 primers WSP from the US and that costs me about the double of US Price. Primers are not a Problem to get. But just got word from my dealer that gun powder is still not allowed. So I Keep scavenging shotshells and maybe start my failed homemade Blackpowder proyect again. I built already an ball mill which is working as it should.
I do not get involved in ordering, customs, etc since that all does the US FFL Agent and registred Agent in this Country for me. I just tell him which I want, he sends Quote and if accepted he sends the Invoice. Then I pay and if it arrived I pick it up. Locally, Primers and all reloading Equipment is no Problem; but powder no way!
It is Kind of iffy. Reloading is not allowed but all reloading Equipment is allowed to buy. If we would want to find a logic behind croocked legislators and politicians we would be crazy in no time.
They even want to mark every factory cartridge what is entering the Country in order to track it back (each cartridge gets a stamp of the importer. If you buy ammo you get registred at pick up). But local range owner offered me to pick up thousands of empty brass Police Forces and Military Units left there behind after extensive Training. So again good for me since if I manage to pick it all up I have brass for lifetime (screw you croocks and corrupt governement).

Runfiverun. If I have the Lee 105 grain 358 Diameter mold can I use it WITHOUT SIZING for 9mm as well? Lee states something like "works well with 9mm Luger".

victorfox
08-02-2016, 02:39 PM
AJG we're about to get the same ammo id BS here. Well, another thought I had which you must take not with a grain of salt, but a handful. Do you have fireworks there? They have plenty of powder for "harmless" purposes (in the sicko minds). You could take a look and try. HTH

I too grab all the hulls, brass and lead, given the situation of my country. And am trying to get I all can...

AJG
08-02-2016, 06:15 PM
dear victorfox,

Yes I was thinking as well in scavenging "cohetes" (fireworks). I disassembled one and on burning its powder it smelled very much like very high Content of Sulfur (which causes rust). From my blackpowder Experiment I am able to detect soon if Blackpowder has Sulfur in it or sugar. You smell it easily what the powders ingredients are.
Since Blackpowder Rusts, I turned away from scavenging fireworks for powder (brasilian fireworks). Since I hate rust.
As well I measured the ph of my homemade "Blackpowder" and unburned mixed with water it gave me an 8 of the lithmus Test. Soon I burned it (mixed then with water) it read 12 or 14 on the Lithmus Test. That told me it is very corrosive if burned. It is fairly neutral if unburned. My weapons are to dear for me (because of the local horrendous high Prices; 2 to 3 times the US value) to willfully expose them to rust.
Scavenging shotshells at least gives me smokeless powder.

Today I got notice my RCBS taper crimp 3 die set for 38spl/357 mag arrived as well as some shellholders. That is a good Thing (I bet customs does not know for what the die set is and think its some spare part). But all my molds are still `on the way". Hopefully they arrive next weak since locally there are not bullets for 357 mag availlable (9mm they luckily had some left so I bought 200 of them).

In order to pay off my reloading/casting Equipment Investment, I have to produce 2400 rounds in total (can be 38 spl/357 mag or 9mm). After that it is a net gain. Bad Thing is I still have to buy factory bullets which are around 24 US$ per 100 while in the US they cost about 14$ since my casting Equipment never arrived till now.

victorfox
08-02-2016, 06:34 PM
AJG, it's not the black powder itself that corrodes stuff but the water its residues attract and react with other substances that are present in the residue.

I once shot a black powder shell in my judge and all that mess scared me off black powder. The I started learning more, and made a batch of black powder (from now on BP) shells and shot them. I was prepared to clean at the range. I took a spray bottle of kitchen cleaner (windows glass cleaner works too), some soy bean oil based aerosol lubricante (brand name is WHITE LUB in case you find it there). After the shooting the gun was horribly dirty. I sprayed it nicely with the cleaner, used a cloth to remove most of the mess and ran a cloth patch i side bore and chambers. Then I sprayed the white lub, stored and went away.

Arriving home, I cleaned the oil, run a dry cloth everywhere and into the bore/chambers, then a cloth with mineral spirits and they came out pretty clean. I oiled the gun well and stored. since then I take a look and see not only one dot of rust. Others have better cleaning routines but this is what worked and what I continue to do.

Me too due to high cost (3, 4 or even more times higher than in the USA) and difficult of replacement put a highest regard to my guns, I almost pet them. But I'm not worried about black powder anymore.

Give a try. You can always clean it well after you shot, just don't use anything petroleum based and some use just hot soapy water and keep their guns shooting BP countless years

victorfox
08-02-2016, 07:14 PM
Another thing just occurred me...God... How ours countries look a like!!! You can have access to .410/ calibre 36 shotshells?

If so, check the payload before buying. If it says 9gramas or 5/16oz, 10 or 11 gramas (1/3 or 3/8oz), forget, they probably are loaded with the same powder as a 12ga shell as they are in Brazil.

But if it says 7/16oz or 12.5 gramas or more, you can bet it has some 12 to 18 grains of a slower burning powder that may be used for your applications up to 357mag level.

I buy OOO buck loads, by CBC/Magtech, for my judge and they are loaded with the same powder as the 357mag and 44mag (#220), which is somewhat similar to Alliants 2400. As always care and good sense are to be used. One shell can give you one 357 load in this case. Feels like nothing, but being in a simiar situation I know how valuable it can be.

I know almost all the armerias in your country were closed by Big Hermano and now Mr Mustache is enforcing to keep them closed. The same happened here under Lula and all is getting worse. I'm shooting less every year and trying to buy all I can afford. I'm pretty sure we'll need it.

AJG
08-02-2016, 09:02 PM
Dear victorfox,

So you figured out where I am located? "How our countries look alike" should give you almost enough clues of my Location. We are actually located near Brazil (but who is not in Southamerica! near the Imperial Brazil).

If you are able to send me some powder I will wire you the Money (Need your Swift and Iban, bank account and bank address). You have to trust me that I wire you the Money after the pwder arrives. My mil forewarder has an agency in Brazil (Barueri, SP. Brasil) where you could ship it. !!Be Aware I do not assume responsability for any felony and Violation of law!!.

We can buy all caliber ammo. Even the forbidden by law one legally (that is not a joke). But you can not Import forbidden caliber weapons (223, 308, 7.62x39Kalashnikov and 50 caliber). Although there are in stock many 308 Savage Axis for example. Basically: If the Boss at weapons agency changes the law changes as well. Law is what the guy wants to be law. There where all calibers allowed for a few months. Right now they are restricting again. If you manage to bring it, it must be legal. Really you never know what exactly is forbidden or not. It is allways an error and Trial (go - no go) question. Just order it. If it arrives, ist legal. If it does not arrive, it must have been illegal (according to Change of personell at governamental weapons agency).

Yes you can buy 410. But that is extremely expensive since nobody uses that caliber. All use eighter 12, 20 ga and lately I have seen as well 16, 28 gauge ammo. No Need for 410 since 12 ga is plenty availlable specially in dove hunting season.

Tell me how much Reales is an Pound or Kg of CBC 216 powder. If you send me some I will wire you the Money. My mail forewarder will tell you if you can ship it through them.

I have no idea if the USA is responsible for closing the gunshops (armerias) in Brazil or other countries in Southamerica. Yes some People blame all evil on the US (specially Venezuela and similar). I do not have enough insigth to judge that. Here the USA is associated with the good guys and upholder of freedom in the world.
Buying factory ammo is NOT an Option anymore due to horrible expensive Prices and local income is shrinking (not for big cattle farmers but normal People can not even afford have a simple Revolver anymore). Locally if they have a weapon is most likely an 22LR and max an 38 spl inhereted Revolver. In the 1950's and the like almost every vaquero and estanciero as well as citizen had an single Action 38 spl Revolver (mexican made) in open carry (Cowboy). Today not anymore. About 2% of Population owns about 86% of the land and riches of the Country. The local state had his Cousin sits in Uruguay in jail for being a drug Pilot (most likely for the cartel of his relative the actual head of state). This is the real Situation.

victorfox
08-02-2016, 09:48 PM
AJG, sorry, but I can't send you any powder. If I could, I'd gladly pick a pound and put it on your way, free of charge. Doing so is one of the highest felonies here (international trafficking of arms and ammo).

We had a nice country here too, but in 2002 all oir guns were pretty much confiscated and all older registers rendered moot unless you went and proved the origin of the gun. I had to sell my first shotgun to not lose it to a willing to take the risk buyer.

And let me tell you one thing. This anti American propaganda is part of our daily life here too. Not a truthful word in this speech. American's are our friends. Our enemies are the current govts of America and of our countries.

We used to have great American firearms here, why would them want to close a market so big? They took our guns so only the state agents would have them to introduce oppressive regimes. They are trying to make America like our countries, no freedo, scarcity, oppression etc.

But we're getting off topic... Take care hermano.

victorfox
08-02-2016, 10:33 PM
Try contacting these guys. I don't know if they can help you, but... http://www.camping44.com.py/

runfiverun
08-03-2016, 10:51 AM
if that mold pours out at 359 ish you can use it in both.
your goal is @358.
I don't know the metric equivalents.

but you can cheat a little and squeeze the loaded round down in one of your dies until the round fits the chamber.
I used to use my sizing die to just bump my 41 cal loads down to fit the cylinders.
it added another step, but a necessary one, if I wanted to shoot that revolver.

John Boy
08-05-2016, 03:21 PM
Read this Stickie about shipping outside USA and then decide whether more has to be discussed on the subject:
Shipping outside the US. Seller Warning. (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?145261-Shipping-outside-the-US-Seller-Warning)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?145261-Shipping-outside-the-US-Seller-Warning

AJG
08-07-2016, 01:48 PM
Appears to be prohibited to bring molds as well to the Southamerican Country where I am living.

What for a joke.

Time to Change Hobby and sell all guns?

Unfortunatelly guns are more and more needed since criminal rate is higher every year in Southamerica. I will then just stick with whats working. Reloading 9mm Luger (for semiauto pistol) and [!!!New Wildcat invented!!!] 9mm Federal Rimmed (I trimmed down an 357 mag case and loaded it with an 9mm FMJ and 4 grain type Titegroup powder) for 357 mag Revolver is working.

DerekP Houston
08-07-2016, 01:58 PM
Appears to be prohibited to bring molds as well to the Southamerican Country where I am living.

What for a joke.

Time to Change Hobby and sell all guns?

Unfortunatelly guns are more and more needed since criminal rate is higher every year in Southamerica. I will then just stick with whats working. Reloading 9mm Luger (for semiauto pistol) and [!!!New Wildcat invented!!!] 9mm Federal Rimmed (I trimmed down an 357 mag case and loaded it with an 9mm FMJ and 4 grain type Titegroup powder) for 357 mag Revolver is working.

Wow, that is some ridiculous restrictions...I guess it works for those in charge but not for everyone. very odd you can purchase factory bullets but not a mold to make your own, maybe some sort of tracking/restriction on the amount you can stock pile?

Best of luck in your endeavours, wish we didn't have the strict export regulations so i could help you out, but it ain't worth it for me sorry.

runfiverun
08-08-2016, 12:50 AM
just cause you can't get it from the USA that don't mean you can't get it.

NavyVet1959
08-08-2016, 02:24 AM
As far as I know, most airlines will not allow you to put powder or primers in your luggage, but they will allow you to bring loaded ammo. Loading shotgun shells completely full of powder with no wads or lead would be a way to work around these rules and allow you to get powder into your country via airline. A few 30mm cartridges would work even better if the airlines have no caliber restrictions. You could always put a cardboard plug in the mouth of the cartridge, hot melt glue it around the edge, and call it a blank cartridge.

I don't have any empty 12-gauge shells hand right now, otherwise I would fill one up to see how many grains of powder one could hold and thus how many shells it would take per pound of a particular powder.

NavyVet1959
08-08-2016, 03:12 AM
Read this Stickie about shipping outside USA and then decide whether more has to be discussed on the subject:
Shipping outside the US. Seller Warning. (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?145261-Shipping-outside-the-US-Seller-Warning)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?145261-Shipping-outside-the-US-Seller-Warning

Interestingly, they exclude shotgun ammo, so if someone wanted to package 12-gauge blank shotshells that were loaded completely full of just powder, that would allow someone to send it out of the US.

Rough estimate for the volume of a 12-gauge shell... Assuming a diameter of 0.725" and a length of 2.625", we get a volume of about 1.084 cu-in. Last few kegs of powder I bought were in the 7-8 lb per gallon jug size, so I'll just use 1 gallon for the size of the powder. There are 231 cu-in per gallon, so you would at about 213 of these shotgun shells filled with powder to utilize this method of shipping powder.

From what I've read, the powder manufacturers used to use this method with 4-gauge shotshells to send samples of powders to gun writers.

Lees VMD (Volume Meaured Density) table is a good reference that could be used to calculate how much volume (in cu-cm) a keg of powder takes up. For example, Red Dot takes up about twice the volume as IMR 4831

http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/VMD.pdf

VMD(Red Dot) = 0.1413
VMD(IMR 4831) = 0.0735

Conversion Factors:

231 cu-in per gallon
2.54 cm per in
7000 gr per lb

Volume of 8 lbs of Red Dot = 0.1413 * 7000 * 8 / 2.54^3 / 231 = 2.09 gal
Volume of 8 lbs of IMR 4831 = 0.0735 * 7000 * 8 / 2.54^3 / 231 = 1.087 gal

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-08-2016, 10:32 AM
I wonder how thoroughly, the importing authorities, will investigate a case of shotgun shells that were shipped from a private person in the USA to a private person in a South American country ? (maybe it'd get less scrutiny if shipped to the FFL???) Anyway, I don't think I'd want my name and address on that customs paperwork.

NavyVet1959
08-08-2016, 11:42 AM
I wonder how thoroughly, the importing authorities, will investigate a case of shotgun shells that were shipped from a private person in the USA to a private person in a South American country ? (maybe it'd get less scrutiny if shipped to the FFL???) Anyway, I don't think I'd want my name and address on that customs paperwork.

I wonder if they are looking for someone hiding drugs in packages. Do people smuggle drugs *into* South American countries? I thought all the drugs were smuggled *out* of them. :)

Technically, these would be loaded blank rounds -- *custom* loaded blank rounds that you might not want to shoot in just any old shotgun.

Bullseye has a VMD of 0.1064. That would mean that you could get around 166.95 gr in this size 12-gauge shell.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if such a round was fired from a shotgun barrel. I don't have enough of a gut feeling on this to be willing to hold the gun, so something remotely triggered would be best. Since there is no bullet / shot charge providing back pressure, it *might* just be loud and possibly fire breathing. It also might destroy the barrel. Maybe someone with Quickload could run the numbers and see what it thinks the pressure might be?

victorfox
08-08-2016, 12:29 PM
In brazil they won't investigate the source. they will retain the package and summon the receiver if they want to to get his stuff (sometimes it can be legalised after paperwork). Other wise they'll seize the package contents and will prosecute the receiver. The sender won't even appear anywhere, specially when you can legally send this or that item from your country.

Notable examples here in brazil of stuff we can't get but can be legally sent: black powder guns, airsoft pistols, cap guns (yes toys are forbidden), reloading dies and presses, live ammo, bullets (slugs are ok), cases and hulls, primed or not, barrels, stocks, actions, bolts, any gun part.

Some items can be received after you get a permit. The right way is getting the permit then purchase and make seller include printed permit inside package. This goes to an Army quarter to be received by buyer. If there's no permit, the item is si.ply seized and is said to be destroyed (never saw the destruction if you know what I mean).

If you can legally bring the item must pay a 60℅ of the purchase price tax at the customs, but can be loopholed by a sender being a natural person (not an entity) and declaring a 0.00 value. I was able to buy a lot of imported airgun pellets using this loophole.

NavyVet1959
08-08-2016, 01:20 PM
I just ran the shipping costs via FedEx and UPS to Brasilia to see what it would cost for a 50 lb package to be shipped. Not sure if I was doing it right, but I came up with shipping costs around $400 for UPS and $700 for FedEx.

victorfox
08-08-2016, 02:07 PM
probably yes. A small pack containing a simple 2 cav lee mold was 40 US$ and it is not even hazmat.. what does a mold weigh? 2 lbs?

NavyVet1959
08-08-2016, 03:18 PM
probably yes. A small pack containing a simple 2 cav lee mold was 40 US$ and it is not even hazmat.. what does a mold weigh? 2 lbs?

Well, ammunition is not HAZMAT -- it's ORD-M. I got the same price at FedEx listing the package as ammunition and as just plastic parts. The reason the powder manufacturers used the 4-gauge shotshells to ship powder to gun writers was that it avoided the HAZMAT mess.

victorfox
08-08-2016, 03:31 PM
Sorry since we were talking powder I thought you simulated sending powder. Somehow I missed the 4ga shell talking... But sending just about everything down here costs a fortune. Once I asked the shipping costs from Italy to a hand crank roll crimp that costs 30euro. Shipping: 150 euro... Same with a small mec spindex kit for .410 (8 dollars). Shipping: 33.50 dollars...

NavyVet1959
08-10-2016, 01:19 AM
Sorry since we were talking powder I thought you simulated sending powder. Somehow I missed the 4ga shell talking... But sending just about everything down here costs a fortune. Once I asked the shipping costs from Italy to a hand crank roll crimp that costs 30euro. Shipping: 150 euro... Same with a small mec spindex kit for .410 (8 dollars). Shipping: 33.50 dollars...

Sounds like you should just make a list of all the things you need and take a trip to Texas once a year.

victorfox
08-10-2016, 07:06 AM
Yaw, sounds like great advice!!! :) I'd love to do it...

NavyVet1959
08-10-2016, 10:37 AM
Yaw, sounds like great advice!!! :) I'd love to do it...

ROAD TRIP !!!

There's that little issue of the Darién Gap though... :)

AJG
08-20-2016, 07:54 PM
Thank you NavyVet1959,

I will foreward this idea to my FFL dealer in tha USA (registred as well here locally). So that would indeed be a possibility.

Once again. Thank You!

AJG
08-20-2016, 08:00 PM
Shipping cost is not an issue. By air it is around 18 US$ per Kilogramm and by sea it is 500 US$ per cubic meter (no weigth charged but Minimum Charge of 70$). Shipping by sea is the way to go.
That is how primers get shipped over here.

AJG
08-20-2016, 11:04 PM
The FFL dealer is as well the shipping Agent to Southamerica as well an here (local) registrerd gun importer and seller. First of all the Company is asking local Gun Agency if it can be brought. If they say yes then all is clear to order and ship. So it is all legal.
If the local Gun Agency says "yes it can be imported" then they can bring the powder packaged as shotshells.

We will see what they say. I believe it can be brought.

NavyVet1959
08-21-2016, 04:22 AM
Thank you NavyVet1959,

I will foreward this idea to my FFL dealer in tha USA (registred as well here locally). So that would indeed be a possibility.

Once again. Thank You!

For any large powder order, you would have to be pretty desperate to have someone repackage it in 12-gauge shells.

Although the 4-gauge shells that they used to use to get around the HAZMAT shipping to gun writers would allow you to get more powder in each shell, the shells are pretty expensive. A quick web search showed the 4-gauge shells going for around $40 EACH.

The 4-gauge shell is approximately 0.935" x 4.0" or about 2.746 cu-in in volume. So, you would need around 176 of them for an 8-lb jug of Red Dot. Using 12-gauge shells, it would work out to be about 445 shells.

Like I said, you would have to be pretty desperate... Keep us updated on what you end up doing and your progress.

Greg5278
08-24-2016, 08:37 AM
Do not try the KNO3 and Aluminum Powder as a Substitute for Smokeless. You will probably Injure Yourself.
That Combo is Flash powder, and will go off unconfined. Smokeless is much safer, and will only burn correctly under several thousand PSI.
I wish I could be of more Help.
Greg
AKA 12 Bore

salpal48
08-25-2016, 09:30 PM
If It looks like a scam and smells like ascam . then what is It ."SCAM"

starmac
02-21-2017, 12:39 AM
Navyvet, how do you think guys get powder in the villages here with no road access, yup fill up the biggest cases they can find with their choice of powder. lol

I know guys that have filled a bow or rifle case with one pound bottles of powder too and just carry it on as if they had a bow or gun too, no security on instate flights, but if caught with powder, they are in hot water.