PDA

View Full Version : T-Bolt vs CZ 455 vs 77-22

osteodoc08
07-31-2016, 12:06 AM
I've been wanting a nice big boy 22lr rifle. I sought out many opinions previously. I've looked at quite a few. A cooper is still on the list but will have to wait until next year as my gun budget took a hit with the Kimber Longmaster Classic I bought.

I I looked at the above referenced long guns. All are within my budget not including glass. I'm leaning towards the T-Bolt but was seeking opinions on each of them regarding accuracy, reliability and aesthetics.

Jack Stanley
07-31-2016, 09:08 AM
I've had all three and the one that isn't still here is the 77-22 . It's a tough call between the CZ and the T-bolt . I like the operation of the T-bolt but it's trigger is a good bit heavier and just .... well, odd to me . It is adjustable though and now it's light but still odd .

The CZ I got needed a bedding job because the stock was leaning on the barrel and causing a drift . Not all of them are that way but now this one is as reliable as the sunrise .

To me they both fit a big boy well and shoot about the same with maybe an edge going to the T-bolt . That may not be fair though because the T-bolt is a magnum and the CZ is a 22LR

I'd call it a dead heat with points going to the T-bolt because the bolt is much easier to operate in a hurry .

I wouldn't get another Ruger , the last one wasn't reliable at ejecting cases .

Jack

LUCKYDAWG13
07-31-2016, 09:45 AM
I have have the CZ 455 never looked at the other two so cant say about them
but have no regrets on my 455

tazman
07-31-2016, 09:58 AM
I recently purchased a CZ 455 American. It is extremely accurate with proper ammunition. Good accuracy with even the cheap ammo.

unclemikeinct
07-31-2016, 11:48 AM
I have about a ten year old CZ454 ? Euro shaped butt stock w Iron sights...I had to add the Rings to that 11MM dovetail for a nice scope sight...EXPENSIVE option there...The trigger is fine, 3 to 4 lbs of pull...Fit & Finish are very nice, Wood Too ...It likes to shoot one hole groups w good target ammo 50 yds... one inch at 100yds.. if I can hold that lightweight well enough...You have to spend two to 3 times that money for that quality...CZ is my vote...Mike in Ct

roysha
07-31-2016, 12:28 PM
I don't have any of the 3 you are looking at but I do have 3 CZ 452s in various calibers and consider them to be the BEST bang for the buck in 22RF, period. Mine are the LUX style and shoot extremely well with the ammo they like. I have shot against Kimbers, REM 540s, various other REM and Ruger bolt and semi autos, Marlins and even one of the WIN 52 jap Sporters and the only difference was the shooter. My CZs would match or beat any of them. Except for the fact they are sporter configured, don't have as good a trigger and don't ride the bags as well as the heavy barreled and stocked dedicated target/match rifles, I think the CZs could hold there own against REM 37 or 40X or the WIN 52 target from a raw accuracy point of view.

So I guess what I'm trying to say, CZ is my choice but the choice is yours' and only you can decide, because no matter how much I like my CZs, if it's not right for you, you will have wasted a good deal of money and time if you buy something and subsequently don't like it because you followed anyone's advice but your own. You indicated a leaning toward the T-bolt. I doubt you will be satisfied with anything else until you get that itch scratched. I have a lot of experience in that area.:sad: For example, I recently bought a Colt Woodsman Match Target pistol, a gun I have wanted for probably 60 years. Seldom have I been more disappointed in a gun. Nothing wrong in particular, just didn't suit me. Was finally able to get rid of it and paid for the learning experience in the process. The itch is gone, never to return.

Mauser48
07-31-2016, 12:59 PM
I would buy the cz 455. The ruger is way overpriced. The CZ will also shoot better than the ruger.

rking22
07-31-2016, 05:53 PM
Odd man out here ,I guess, as I've never owned a CZ rimfire. I find their centerfires exceptional, so suspect the rimfires are as everyone says. Now I have owned 2 Ruger 77-22s, no longer have either. The only way I would buy another is if the price was REALLY low and I would put an aftermarket barrel on it before I wasted ammo in the factory barrel!. Now a friend has a first year 77-22 and loves it, so there are some good ones out there. I also have owned 2 T-bolts, still do. I love T-bolts but my experience is with the first generation form the 60s. Those guns shoot exceptionally well.
When I went down the road to pick myself a top drawer 22, I looked at Coopers and Kimbers. Finally realized what I really wanted was a 40x sporter or a Win52 sporter. Budget would not float either!!! What I found was a Winchester 52Sporter from the 90s. I am well pleased and it was 1/2 the money of the other current production rifles. It shoots CCI supsonic Hp into one ragged hole at 50 yards, repeatedly under 1/2 inch with the 6x hunting scope I keep on it. Can't say if it is ammo picky, as the CCI Subs are my squirrel load and I have not tried anything else in it. Have also built a few 10-22s using GM barrels and factory sporter stocks. I do the trigger work and bolt work myself and end up with a reliable and accurate rifle that balances the way I want for under 400$ including a good hunting scope. I actually hunt more with one of the 10-22s than the 52, but it ain't goin anywhere!

pressonregardless
07-31-2016, 07:07 PM
I have a full stock CZ455 & an early M77/22. There are times that I think the CZ is more accurate than the Ruger
but more than likely it's just me on a particular day.

07-31-2016, 09:41 PM
I'm really the odd man out as I have a 77/22 that shoots 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with Remington golden bullets. My wife bought it for me in 1992 for Christmas. I have no experience with CZ.
I did have a 77/22 hornet that cut 4-5 inch groups and responded to nothing. I returned it to ruger and they said the crown was bad so they recrowned it. They sent it back stating it met their accuracy requirements. A trip to the range resulted in the same 4-5 inch groups. I got rid of that one.

Texas by God
08-02-2016, 10:50 PM
If you can find one a Kimber(of Oregon) Super America would be nice. Otherwise save for the Cooper or save money and get the CZ. My opinion only. My fancy .22 (lol)is a Rem 581-s with a shortened barrel, a reshaped/refinished stock and a Valor 4x scope. It shoots into 1/2" at 50 yards too. But I would love to own a Cooper too. Best, Thomas

Char-Gar
08-03-2016, 12:29 AM
I think it is just a matter of personal choice. I bought a Belgian Browning Left Hand T-Bolt in 1971 and it is going nowhere. In 2006, I also bought a Mossberg 146B for $80.00. The Mossberg is a man sized highly accurate 22. It will shoot groups fully as small as the Browning or any other 22 I have owned save a Winchester 52D Bull Gun. Lots of good new and used full sized 22 rifles out there. Just pick one that suits your fancy and your pocketbook.

osteodoc08
08-03-2016, 11:35 AM
Follow up here. I ended up with the CZ 455 American. I looked at the Varnint model and it was very nice, just too heavy for my purposes. I bought a few boxes of match ammo and will see which shoots the best. Now to find a decent AO scope. Already have a set of Leupold 11mm dovetail rings.

I also picked up a Savage Rascal for my daughter. Got her plinking cans in the back yard with CB shorts. I was quite impressed with her shooting! Once she was accustomed she was hitting 8/10 at 25-30 feet which was great in my opinion. She chose the blue one as the pink one was too girly.

Mauser48
08-03-2016, 11:40 AM
Follow up here. I ended up with the CZ 455 American. I looked at the Varnint model and it was very nice, just too heavy for my purposes. I bought a few boxes of match ammo and will see which shoots the best. Now to find a decent AO scope. Already have a set of Leupold 11mm dovetail rings.

I also picked up a Savage Rascal for my daughter. Got her plinking cans in the back yard with CB shorts. I was quite impressed with her shooting! Once she was accustomed she was hitting 8/10 at 25-30 feet which was great in my opinion. She chose the blue one as the pink one was too girly.

Excellent choice. Take a look at the nikon rim fire ao scope.

roysha
08-03-2016, 02:21 PM
Great choice. I'm sure you will be happy with it.

As far as scope, I guess it depends on how one defines "decent". For some the BSA and such level of scope is decent, for others it is something more expensive. On all my CZs but one, both the 452s and 527s, I have the Leupold 3-9 Compact AO. They are just the right size for the CZ action and give me all the definition, at the ranges I shoot with them, that I need. The AO allows the 452s to be parallax free at virtually any range which is nice with the rimfire calibers. The lone exception is Leupold 10x that I had laying around unused when I built my 221FB 527 so I figured to put it to some use.

A suggestion for ammo from me would be the Aguila 40RN grain subsonic. If they ever make the 38 grain HP again, I would suggest that also. My 452 shoots the HP extremely well. When I called Aguila about the availability of the HP load, the gal said it was on the production list, but not scheduled, so she didn't know when it would be available. Glad I have plenty, bought when it was readily available. The price is quite good also compared to comparable ammo from other companys.

snowwolfe
08-03-2016, 06:19 PM
Good choice on the CZ. I own one, as well as a T bolt. The CZ is the best bang for the buck on the market.
Scope choice? Both the Leupold and Nikon are good choices. I own both and can't see a reason to ever spend the extra money to buy the 3x9 Leupold AO scope again.
PS: take a look at the Weaver 3x9 rim fire scope as well

DerekP Houston
08-03-2016, 06:28 PM
I had my eye on a CZ until I inherited the marlin 60, now with the price of 22lr I've given up collecting them and opted for 38spec revolvers =). Post up some pictures of your new baby!

HABCAN
08-03-2016, 06:43 PM
Decades ago I had a T-Bolt but traded it off for a Remington 541S that I still have and love. A buddy back then had a CZ that shot right along with my Rem. Now a new buddy recently got a tricked-up new laminated-stock Accutrigger Savage that is quite exceptional. Of the choices you posted, I'd go for the CZ with its barrel threaded into the action, unlike most .22s.

Whiterabbit
08-03-2016, 07:35 PM
I have about a ten year old CZ454 ? Euro shaped butt stock w Iron sights...I had to add the Rings to that 11MM dovetail for a nice scope sight...EXPENSIVE option there...The trigger is fine, 3 to 4 lbs of pull...Fit & Finish are very nice, Wood Too ...It likes to shoot one hole groups w good target ammo 50 yds... one inch at 100yds.. if I can hold that lightweight well enough...You have to spend two to 3 times that money for that quality...CZ is my vote...Mike in Ct

Warne rings. Reasonable price. GREAT ring.

osteodoc08
08-04-2016, 10:27 AM
This scope will be placed on order as soon as I get a chance. I think it will complete my package nicely:

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/rimfireultralight-riflescopes/vx-2-3-9x33mm-rimfire-efr/

I was going to buy this one but it's a little chunky:

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-diamondback-hp-2-8x32-riflescope-with-v-plex-moa-reticle

Open for other suggestions or discussion. There isn't much out there for a compact scope with AO

snowwolfe
08-04-2016, 03:08 PM
Open for other suggestions or discussion. There isn't much out there for a compact scope with AO

Weaver 3x9 and Nikon 3x9 both have AO's

osteodoc08
08-04-2016, 04:43 PM
Weaver 3x9 and Nikon 3x9 both have AO's

I looked at several nikons and they were too big for my tastes on that rifle. I'll check out the weavers

Mauser48
08-04-2016, 06:59 PM
Check out the weaver classic rimfire 3-9x32 ao scope.