PDA

View Full Version : Tumble lube boolits in Marlin Micro-groove barrels?

SAWebbx1
05-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Top of my wish list is a Marlin 30-30 in stainless. I like the XLR but prefer the 20" tube on the 336 SS with walnut which I believe has the Micro-groove rifling. I intend to shoot mostly if not exclusively cast and would also like to shoot a lighter boolit with reduced loads. Can I shoot the tumble lube boolits in heavy and light weights, assuming the fit is right with each, successfully with the Micro-groove barrel? Is there an overwhelming advantage to the Ballard style rifling or what?

SAWebb

Ranch Dog
05-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Yes

I prefer the Micro-Groove barrels. I've feel they shoot better.

corvette8n
05-26-2008, 09:50 AM
I've shot plinker rounds from a micro-groove Marlin and a 1950's Marlin and I didn't see a differance.
8gr of Unique under a Lee 150gr fngc

Whit Spurzon
05-26-2008, 11:20 AM
I have Marlins with Ballard and Microgroove. I have found the Microgroove barrels shoot lead as well and better in some cases than the Ballard. MG is easier to clean too.

I haven't pushed a lot of lead over 1600 fps. The Lee Liquid Alox is doing fine at those levels even with traditional lube grooves, better actually than the hard lube that comes on commercially cast bullets.

SAWebbx1
05-26-2008, 02:50 PM
I am so glad to hear what you guys are saying, both in this post and others. I have reloaded with a traveling kit for years while most of my stuff including my casting equipment was in storage over 500 miles a way. Still reloading and shooting but not enough and using store-bought to boot. Now I've got my gear up the road 5 minutes so I hope I can get set up again real soon to cast. I have used Lee tumble lube boolits for most of my production and have had 2 designs made custom, both of which worked great. I'm jacked to find out how well the tlgc are working at rifle velocities for so many members. With a couple-3 exceptions, my loading has been in revolver calibers, but I feel the pull of 30-30. Seems like the all around rascal, rabbit, rustler, predator, and maybe deer round for the back door of the farmhouse and recreational too. I'll make do with either the 32 mag rifle or the 41 mag short rifle until I can swing another purchase.

Look forward to being a Ranch Dog customer too. Very impressed with your work and can't wait to get some first hand experience with your molds.

Thanks to all for the specific feedback and just generally for being on this forum.

Sincerely, SAWebbShooter